Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:34 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Because, had this been a Black family the sentiments here on C-D (and everywhere else)would have been much less "supportive" and "conciliatory". That whole giving the family the "benefit of the doubt" thing would have gone completely out the window.

There would have been all sorts of accusations about the parents being on welfare, on drugs, ghetto, etc. The children would have been referred to a "thugs" and "deliquents". The Black mother would have been labeled as a woman of "ill repute" and the Black father would have been branded a "ne'er-do-well felon".

But because this was a White man/Asian woman couple and their kids, people couldn't even begin to think that people like these would try to defraud the American public. It couldn't possibly be a hoax

Just pointing out how Black people are treated differently.
Hmmm...I didn't take your intial comment as a racial one - other people have said she makes them think of Yoko Ono but oh well whole story is crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 AM

480 posts, read 878,207 times
Default Sheriff: Balloon boy hoax may have conspirators

Sheriff: Balloon boy hoax may have conspirators - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_balloon_boy - broken link)

Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
excerpted from E! News>>>

''It seems this "nightmare" was also a poorly kept secret.

A Fort Collins resident told E! News that their child, a classmate of 10-year-old Bradford Heene, claimed to have known about the planned saucer-launching stunt last week. The source believed this may have led some locals to anonymously contact law enforcement after the drama played out on live television.

Sounds like this balloon had a leak before it even lifted off.'

Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I bet that Mark Geragos and Gloria Allred are having a death match to figure out who is going to represent this Heene guy. He is trying desperately to one-up Jon Gosselin and those two attorneys are both equally hungry for the limelight. Anyone care to place any bets as to which attorney will be on the morning shows this week?
The A.P. has a story today which says the lawyer is David Lane who unsuccessfully defended controversial professor Ward Churchill of the Univ of Colo at Boulder who was noted for some very strange viewpoints.

Regarding your comment, if this story keeps going a while, my guess is the father will select Gloria Allred since she'd appeal to his male ego more than Mark Geragos, and Allred seems to be more the sort of TV personality the networks like to put on camera. If the family settles the case quickly we won't see either of those media hog lawyers.

The A.P. has another line out today on the father, detailing the wacky publicity stunts and ploys of the boy's father.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM

480 posts, read 878,207 times
Gossip site TMZ.com says Heene was sentenced to jail in L.A. in 1997 for vehicle tampering and disturbing the peace.

Heene Sentenced to Jail for L.A. Crime | TMZ.com

Old 10-19-2009, 01:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I stand corrected and am deeply saddened to learn that a parent would use his children as pawns in such a disgusting scheme to gain publicity.
Me too. I didn't believe it could be a hoax at first. I guess I am a little naive.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:25 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Me too. I didn't believe it could be a hoax at first. I guess I am a little naive.
No, I wanted to believe it wasn't a hoax too.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:56 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
As TMZ reported the man has already a criminal record so the sentence he will receive will be more harsh than we expected since we thought it was a first time conviction....

I feel sorry for the kids not for the mom she could have left him or told the authorities this was a hoax!

if it wasn't for TMZ...we didn't know all the news!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
MJ Morning Show Main Feed - MJ Morning Show

The Balloon Boy's dad, Richard Heene, apparently likes a lot of attention. He has a bunch of YouTube videos online in which he rants about various subject. Here's one where he rants about Britney Spears and how much he hates fake boobs.

The video has been removed from Youtube but you can still see the picture which says enough for a grown up to put him self on youtube like this!!!!!

Why the video is removed...I have no clue, maybe one of you can tell what else was in this video?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why the video is removed...I have no clue, maybe one of you can tell what else was in this video?
I don't have any videos on YouTube but I assume the user (meaning Heene) can remove whatever he uploads to the site.

If you were just accused of a crime and the prosecution might use "evidence" to show a pattern of unstable behavior, wouldn't you try to remove posts & videos showing how out of control you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal