Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
To be honest, I don't know a lot about it other than the few things I've read. It's said by some that a lot of us experience these 'out of body' thing most every night during sleep and that when we 'dream' that we are somewhere...we actually do go there! I'm sure we've all had that feeling just as you are on the verge of falling asleep and suddenly your whole body receives a violent 'jolt' that wakes you up. It's said that this is when your 'spirit', for the want of a better word, begins to leave your body for it's nightly wanderings before you are fully asleep and ready for it to leave and it returns with a violent 'bump'. Interesting!!
My goodness! Given that explaination, (which I've heard before), I must go "awandering" quite a bit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 06:11 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Perhaps in the days of primative man, the brain was used a lot more than it is today. Perhaps we've become a bit 'lazy' when it comes to thinking for ourselves and the parts of the brain that our ancestors used are now longer used by us. I'm only guessing here of course so don't rip me apart!
Do brains also fall under the Second Law of Thermodynamics then??

Old 05-10-2007, 06:22 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Do brains also fall under the Second Law of Thermodynamics then??
hhhhhmm there's a thought

Old 05-10-2007, 09:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Has anyone here had a near-death experience?

I would just like to hear your thoughts about it.
Twice. And I've not written a book.
It's very personal, but yes, both instances have changed my outlook on life, the universe (quite literally) and everything.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:16 PM

92 posts, read 216,097 times
Default Nde

Many years ago, I was involved in a car accident in which my best friend died. I can't recall the details of the accident, though I had tried often. I do have a very surreal and fuzzy recollection of being told to go get help. I believe I was in a state of shock, but the recollection was so startling. I believe I asked where do I go for help (it was about 2 am and in a remote area). I was directed to go through the woods, and when I did, I found some homes. The strange fact about this is that I later learned that my friend received head injuries so severe that he died shortly after the accident and could not have possibly spoken. No one else was at the scene. I was unconscious for quite some time before I went for help. Was this a hallucination or vision? I wish I knew, but it has remained very real for me always.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 PM

74 posts, read 234,603 times
A book that is a good read on how the brain (penal gland) specificaly works to shift our consience into a out of body state or some would call a halucination environment is this one http://www.amazon.com/DMT-Molecule-R...8944146&sr=1-1
Its interesting how our bodies can manipulate the DMT it makes to have these rather out of this world experiences in times of great personal need. If you enjoy this subject, you will like this book, read the reviews!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:59 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
I think there is some truth to the NDE experiences, that they are not all just an imagination of a dying brain. Why do I think so? Because, some people who have had NDE experiences recall not only being out of the body, but are able to describe, in exact detail, things and events they've seen and heard, far removed from the location of their body. For example, I've read the book "Life After Life", by Raymond Moody. He describes being out of his body, looking at stuff more than 50 miles away, of places he had never been to. Afterwards, he was able to describe it all, in detail. How can a dying brain "imagine" what is actually going on 50 miles away? It can't...it's not an imagination. There is life, after life.

Bud

Old 06-12-2007, 12:28 PM

124 posts, read 396,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
As a Christian, I don't even know what I think about them. But since conversing on this forum, I have wondered how you atheists explain this apparently somewhat common experience? Do you think it's just a reaction of a "dying" brain (as I've heard some say) or what?
Considering the following, perhaps Christians have some explaining to do:

"Many people have asked me (the webmaster) why experiences, such as Hindu near-death experiences, are so different than western ones. The reason is because everyone has their own cultural and religious background by which they see their experience. Jody Long, a near-death researcher with NDERF, has put it best. She said, "One of the near-death experience truths is that each person integrates their near-death experience into their own pre-existing belief system." This important truth must be kept in the back of one's mind when reading these different reports."

Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art R View Post
Considering the following, perhaps Christians have some explaining to do:

"Many people have asked me (the webmaster) why experiences, such as Hindu near-death experiences, are so different than western ones. The reason is because everyone has their own cultural and religious background by which they see their experience. Jody Long, a near-death researcher with NDERF, has put it best. She said, "One of the near-death experience truths is that each person integrates their near-death experience into their own pre-existing belief system." This important truth must be kept in the back of one's mind when reading these different reports."
I, for one, have never totally been a proponent of NDE's for precisely the reason you mentioned. I think we have to base our faith on the Word of God which I believe to be reliable not people's experiences. That said, I do believe that I have heard some NDE's which I think reflect a real spiritual experience.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
evolution

near death experience

new thread
Out of body experiences as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal