Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

So this is why we can't find Obama's birth certificate. I think he's one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I have no doubt that life of some sort exists elsewhere in the universe because Carbon, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Sulfur and all the rest behave the same everywhere. I also doubt that any of them are visiting because all the other rules of physics also work the same. Information nor mass cannot be transmitted faster than light. That annoying rule does not seem to have any exceptions.

Too bad really.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have no doubt that life of some sort exists elsewhere in the universe because Carbon, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Sulfur and all the rest behave the same everywhere. I also doubt that any of them are visiting because all the other rules of physics also work the same. Information nor mass cannot be transmitted faster than light. That annoying rule does not seem to have any exceptions.

Too bad really.
To us, that annoying rule doesn't seem to have any exceptions, but even that rule didn't dawn on us until the last century or so, after tens of thousands of years of intellectual thought.

About the elements, it is true that an element with an atomic number of 22.6 would seem improbable and there are a finite number of elements, whose chemistry is fixed. But the geometry of the universe is not well understood, and distances could be deceptive if new dimensions can be discovered that would alter our perspective from the straight-line concept.

Looking back on ancient scientists, it is easy for us to say "How come they couldn't think of that?" What is it that we have not thought of, that would seem so elementary to others?

Think of Linnaean taxonomy, for example. Why is a bat nor a bird? Because we have stratified our thinking into a fixed classification system, and we are unable to break out and make unorthodox connections. An ordering system that put bats and birds in the same class would be perfectly rational, but is simply not the one we have all been taught to use.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:47 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
The Examiner? That's the credible source?

Aliens didn't pack up their spaceship to fly thousands-millions of years to our planet. They had no reason to... until recently when they might have picked up some radio signals. Of course, it wouldn't be "recent" to them. It would be probably thousands to millions of years in the future.

And exactly how could the government be covering this up? Why aren't these little space men finding Ashton Kutcher so he could broadcast the existence of aliens on twitter? Or why aren't these aliens landing somewhere and having a press conference?

Aliens life? Sure. Here? Not at this time.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM

315 posts, read 776,449 times
Quote:

Too bad really.
Another politically correct "Alien" response to this question. You're about #50 afraid to step outside the box and think for yourself.

Take humans for instance and the technology we have built in just the last 30 years. Then keeping in mind that technology builds on a compounding formula, ask yourself where we humans will be in 50 years from now? Got that? Now how about 500, or 5000, or a million years from now?

I then, with a rationale mind, dare you to place any limitations on where and what we will have achieved scientifically. This, assuming we do not destroy ourselves in the meantime.

So where will be in 500 years? At the very least, in my opinion, we will be able to recreate intelligent life forms. Be (outside major accidents) ageless and immortal, no longer use fuels from earth's natural recourses for durable goods and energy consumption, be able to travel at, or perhaps even greater then the speed of light, tapped into black matter for an endless energy source, create mini black holes for limitless anti gravitational systems, develop inner soundless communications with all living beings, seed other planets for organic and intelligent life forms?

Who knows, but in 500 years, if we do not destroy ourselves, the world will be completely different.

With all this in mind, imagine a form of life in the universe with a basic intelligence comparable to that of modern humans who have compounded their technology for a few million years?

That is who and what I believe is currently visiting earth............

Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
You knoiw that reminds me of the old scinece digest in which we were already supposed to have flying cars;moving sidewalks and such. Hasn't happened and not that likely too.People still riding buses and few can fly a airplane.There is still no substitute for crude and niot like to be in our life time to any degree rweally. As to aliens they might be but they must be behind us because they certainly haven't contacted any relaible sources or else they think we are too crazy to bother with.I thnijk they arte maybe in thew stone age compared to us really if they exist.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Take humans for instance and the technology we have built in just the last 30 years. Then keeping in mind that technology builds on a compounding formula, ask yourself where we humans will be in 50 years from now? Got that? Now how about 500, or 5000, or a million years from now?
We will still be bound by the same limitations in 50, 500 or 5000 years. Things will be very different in 100 years. I can't even imagine. But, we will still abide by the rules of physics.

As for energy and whatnot... take a class on thermodynamics. There is a finite amount of energy we can harness on this planet. Our only real shot of long-term life on this planet is to begin harnessing the sun's energy.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I was trying to be rational and comment from our current state of knowledge. If we want to journey into science fiction I can do that as well. Humans will change very little in the next 50, 100 500 years but the society and economics probably will.

In the meantime I still doubt that extraterrestrial beings have ever visited Earth. I also doubt that they are visiting now. If they were why would they talk to our military instead of visiting Times Square or Paris or Rio? If they are visiting I would volunteer as a tour guide anytime.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
... instead of visiting Times Square or Paris or Rio? If they are visiting I would volunteer as a tour guide anytime.
Hypothetical of course, but assuming they exist and have been here, I would think the main reason they haven't 'gone public' is because they know how narrow-minded, arrogant, and neanderthalish we are. Can you imagine how society on the whole would react to such a thing? We get foaming-mouth hysterical over even the lamest little things. But, this? Wow. They'd probably end up having to use Romulan disruptors ( ) to blow half of us away just to keep society from self destructing.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Hypothetical of course, but assuming they exist and have been here, I would think the main reason they haven't 'gone public' is because they know how narrow-minded, arrogant, and neanderthalish we are. Can you imagine how society on the whole would react to such a thing? We get foaming-mouth hysterical over even the lamest little things. But, this? Wow. They'd probably end up having to use Romulan disruptors ( ) on half of us just to keep society from self destructing.
Presumably, there are significantly more advanced than we are. When explorers arrived in Antarctica, do you suppose they walked up to the penguins and said "Take us to your leader"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal