Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Hello there Kirkwhisper...Where ya been?

Actually what he said was "that we know that the lowest form of evidence that exists in this world is eyewitness testimony"....Certainly it's unreliable when it comes to UFOs.

Last edited by sanspeur; 02-09-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hello there Kirkwhisper...Where ya been?

Actually what he said was "that we know that the lowest form of evidence that exists in this world is eyewitness testimony"....Certainly it's unreliable when it comes to UFOs.
If the lowest form of evidence that exists in the world is eyewitness testimony? Maybe then we should open up all the prisons and let all the prisoners go free. I think you want to believe that eyewitness testimony is unreliable, because you desperately do not want to believe in the reality of UFOs. That being said, we do have a video of some of the lights observed over Phoenix Arizona from April 2008. And as the viewer points out, these lights were not anykind of flares, because they were in a tight formation, which remained in the sky for an extended period of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSmrIO4wdzA

Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hello there Kirkwhisper...
Spot on!!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Phunny stuff, as usual, and predicted by past observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyrs5 View Post
Right! Only trained scientists can judge something that is paranormal or supernatural...like rifleman; If you don't believe that then just ask him.

Illogical and obviously not true, and additionally, not at all what I said. If you have the intellectual honesty to go back and revisit Neil's statements, you'll find your own powers of comprehension are sorely lacking. Neil is hardly stating that eyewitness accounts are reliable, as you suggest he said, now was he.

Zippo? Neil Tyson admitted on the video clip that eyewitness testimony is used in court all the time. Quote: "..it's some of the highest form of evidence in a court of law."

He goes on to say that it's also the least reliable. That's OK; you missed it, I understand.

Someone who is startled in the middle of the night by strange lights is most likely apt to exaggerate what he saw. Tyson agrees. You disagree? Tell me you disagree. Tell me that such sightings shouldn't be reviewed or replicated, and that they most often are the result of weather balloons, actual U FOs (as in "unidentified"), or some new Air Force high speed aircraft. Or a meteorite. Or a shooting star. Or atmospherics.

When I visited the Scaled Composites factory out near Edwards AFB in the California desert in the late '80s (Google that one, Kirk...), as an engineer, I was always prompted to look up at unusual sounds in those skies, and often saw really odd looking aircraft skudding across the skies at frantic speeds. It is the home, after all, of the Lougheed Skunk Works, Scaled Composites and Edwards AFB, where they test all sorts of craft.

Were they all alien spacecraft, holding organisms of purely evil intent, as Tom Campbell has suggested in this thread are lurking about? Nope. They were experimental US Air Force stuff according to my knowledgeable host, Burt Rutan, the designer and co-flier of the round-the-world Voyager.

Don't bother, Tom. I learned a long time ago that skeptics like him like to talk but they don't want evidence. They don't even care about evidence except as to how they can twist it to their own bent of thinking.
So.... Your advice to Tom is to not bother to learn, to listen to another's perspective or side of an argument. Goody.

Your first line here, that I don't want evidence, is a blatant fabrication, as "quality evidence" is precisely what I do want to see, not conjecture by frightened and untrained observers.

Yes, I am trained in testing and observing such stuff, unlike, I'm betting, you. Scientists do not let unwarranted, unsubstantiated observations from frightened untrained observers stand on their own, unchallenged. Especially when the subject is controversial and has been debunked at every instance in the past.

Then, your last line, which actually more aptly refers to you more than I, is quite telling in that you've just advised someone to take that exact eyes-closed position. "Don't bother, Tom" is a correct quote, no?

Tom's position is that evil is coming, and it's coming in alien spacecraft, or better yet, represented as a witch on a broom. Then he provides a video that could just as well be a paper bag with a candle inside it, as PROOF of his prediction.

And you wonder why we remain skeptical.....

But please, by all means, DO charge on, eyes closed! Eventually you'll run into something substantial you can't ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal