U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 04:45 PM

8,669 posts, read 21,002,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
I would not mess around with this.
I agree. I think it is dabbling in the occult, and that it is demonic. Same with fortune-telling, astrology etc. I know not everyone on this forum is a Christian, but if you are, let me just say that the Bible does forbid any involvement with the occult.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,993,893 times
I played with them as a kid. I think I may still have one in my closet but I may have tossed it. Its been obvious to me when people are moving the thing and when people are not. I always just asked if I could bother whoever. If they said no, I said sorry and put it away and did not play in that location anymore.

I used to play by myself to find things when I was little. It always worked. But I used it in a room where an old lady died of old age. So maybe it was granny sweetness!
I like to think so.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM

10,002 posts, read 9,523,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
only a fool would use one!

this is not a toy!
I 100% agree

Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM

3,944 posts, read 5,830,990 times
It's a piece of cardboard, for goodness sakes. You push the thing around to whatever you want the answer to be. A bunch of us girls played with them, and we all asked who we were going to marry, and it spelled out the names of our boyfriends. None of us married those guys. I couldn't tell you the number of people with these things, and not one of them had any of these types of stories. I guess you're afraid to play "Bloody Mary" too. I think I'll have Peggy & Pitt over tonight, and we'll scare ourselves silly playing Ouija Board & Bloody Mary. Heck, we might even throw in a seance.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 PM

16,081 posts, read 25,683,038 times
So, whats the fear, Is it a portal, is it the collective conscience that can summon something dark and evil? I think there's some stories to share........

Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 PM

29,351 posts, read 28,409,612 times
Ouija board = Ideomotor effect, if anything at all happened.

Ideomotor effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2010, 09:02 PM

8,517 posts, read 4,176,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I was interested in them as a kid, and my siblings and I got one, and we'd play with it, and it never did anything, whatsoever...be it subconscious stuff, spiritual communication, or just other kids screwing around...nothing happened, at all. I remember being pretty disappointed.
Likewise. I had one when I was a teenager. Seems like just about all teen girls at the time had one, or knew someone who did. Just one time, it supposedly moved to answer a question "no". My friend said she didn't move it, but I never believed her. It certainly seemed like she propelled it.

I never was frightened by it, nor particularly interested in it. The Ouija board is long gone in the trash.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,552,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
So, whats the fear, Is it a portal, is it the collective conscience that can summon something dark and evil? I think there's some stories to share........
I'll share a story. I got my nickname in college because of the ouija board. Every one came to my room to use it. So one night there were 3 or 4 of us using the board and it spelled out the message "never go to KDR". KDR was a frat, Kappa Delta Rho and they had parties every weekend. On that weekend the police raided the house and arrested the under age drinkers. We later found out that KDR's house use to be a funeral home. The place always did seem creepy to me!

I haven't used the board since my college days. I'm not even sure where the thing is! I have never been afraid of it and I don't think it is a portal for evil.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,993,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
It's a piece of cardboard, for goodness sakes. You push the thing around to whatever you want the answer to be. A bunch of us girls played with them, and we all asked who we were going to marry, and it spelled out the names of our boyfriends. None of us married those guys. I couldn't tell you the number of people with these things, and not one of them had any of these types of stories. I guess you're afraid to play "Bloody Mary" too. I think I'll have Peggy & Pitt over tonight, and we'll scare ourselves silly playing Ouija Board & Bloody Mary. Heck, we might even throw in a seance.
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."
-Psalm 23:4

Just in case

Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM

10,002 posts, read 9,523,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Two problems.

1. You do not believe in it...In that case for you it is a waste of time.
2. You believe in it...In that case if you are using it you are probably trying to contact some spirit any spirit. Assuming such spirits exists and they are similar to people, the most likely reasons they would come to you is if they are bored or have an agenda they want to use you for. So if you believe in it, unless you want to do the bidding of a bored or malicious spirit, you probably should not mess with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal