U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,028,034 times
Default Was it a ghost?

I don't know which forum to put this on, this seems to be as good as any.

First, let me start off by saying I really don't believe in ghosts. I think most of the time people think they had an encounter with the supernatural they were just dreaming, or got freaked out over something with an explanation. But.................

Today I had a very strange experience. I was napping, about 2 pm (don't ghosts usually come at night, usually in a thunderstorm, etc?) Well, I was in that half-awake half-asleep twilight state, laying on my side, when someone started shaking my shoulder. I swear, I wasn't dreaming. I FELT it. Usually you don't have tactile sensations in dreams, like touch, pressure, etc.

I was terrified and couldn't move or speak. I struggled to speak but my voice wouldn't work. I managed to strangle out "who are you" "what do you want?" Then I managed to scream out GO AWAY! Whatever it was stopped and was gone.

So, what do you think? Was I just dreaming, and managed to wake myself up by screaming GO AWAY? Or was it an "encounter of the strange kind"? Was it a friendly ghost, or a malevolent one? If it was a "friendly" ghost, what did it want? I guess I scared it away. BTW, this isn't a haunted house, nothing creepy here, we're the original owners, no history of violence, no strange happenings, etc. Well, now I'm a little creeped to go to sleep!

So, opinions, please!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 04-08-2010 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM

38,741 posts, read 36,414,540 times
I have been close to people, who have had equally mystifying experiences. I don't know how to account for them, but they seem very real. My ex-wife had similar experiences to yours. I was working early mornings, and she slept in. On quite a few mornings, after I was gone, a man would come and sit on the edge of the bed and talk to her, and she was sure she was awake each time it happened. It wasn't frightening to her, he was not threatening, it was just something that happened. She was never really able to describe him. It happened in only one house, and after we moved, it never happened again.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have been close to people, who have had equally mystifying experiences. I don't know how to account for them, but they seem very real. My ex-wife had similar experiences to yours. I was working early mornings, and she slept in. On quite a few mornings, after I was gone, a man would come and sit on the edge of the bed and talk to her, and she was sure she was awake each time it happened. It wasn't frightening to her, he was not threatening, it was just something that happened. She was never really able to describe him. It happened in only one house, and after we moved, it never happened again.

This makes me think of my "shadow man". This was years ago, I haven't seen him for about a decade, and good riddance. I first saw my shadow man right after we got married, he appeared in the doorway of our bedroom in our apt. I saw him several times, he'd just stand there, then disappear. he followed us to 2 more moves, I'd just see him coming into the bedroom, then disappear. Once our cat growled and scared him off.

One night he got bolder, he actually came into the room. I swear I wasn't sleeping, nor was I taking anything, like Ambien. He seemed to have gained weight over the years. My cat was sleeping with us. She growled at him, the shadow man walked to my dh side. Ok enough is enough, I just sat right up and said GET OUT OF HERE! The think folded up like a piece of oragimi paper and floated off, never to be seen again.

I wonder if it was my shadow man come back today? I never felt the ghost before, today I swear something was shaking my shoulder, trying to wake me up. Perhaps it was a warning? when it saw I was truly awake it left. But nothing amiss, house wasn't on fire, no burglars, just the middle of the day. Hmmmmm.........................maybe I need to have a glass of wine and get to bed, I'm freaking myself out!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 PM

I named my apparation the "Shadow Man" years ago, that was my term. Later I read its a rather common apparation, and some of the pictures I've seen look exactly like what I saw.

I looked up "shadow People" and I saw a common recurring theme--the shadow person coming through a doorway. Not all did, but many did. I always saw my shadow man coming through a doorway. Ok, so, sleep with the door closed, perhaps they can't come through a door? so how do they get in the house in the first place, down the chimney?

Hey, I'm freaking myself out, gotta get some sleep!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 PM

41,261 posts, read 44,022,248 times
First of all when you remmeber a dream its is because you are lightly asleep. i think you were dreaming.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Well, no ghosts last night. I've learned to tell them to just go away, they are very compliant!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 AM

26,947 posts, read 20,074,895 times
I had a ghost in the rented house I moved from last year. He appeared to be a tall figure wearing a black hat with a brim. I would see him in my peripheral vision, never head on. He walked through the dining room, over into a little hall that held the door to the basement, and disappeared at the door. I saw him several times and thought it was my mind playing tricks, but then I had a roommate who moved in and without my ever saying anything to her, told me she kept seeing a tall man with a hat walking through the dining room and over to the basement door. Further, after I moved in I took in some cats, and every so often they would all jump up, run over to the basement door and sniff and scratch and paw at the door.

I also felt something touch my back and my shoulders when I was on the computer in my bedroom. I'd think it was one of the cats or my daughter, and turn around and no one/nothing was there. That happened pretty often. Heard footsteps and the basement door slam occasionally, also.

I lived there for four years, and I haven't had that experience since I moved out. It was an old house, built in the 1890's. It wasn't scary at all when I saw him, and I would never see the ghost if I looked for it, only when I didn't expect it.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a ghost in the rented house I moved from last year. He appeared to be a tall figure wearing a black hat with a brim. I would see him in my peripheral vision, never head on. He walked through the dining room, over into a little hall that held the door to the basement, and disappeared at the door. I saw him several times and thought it was my mind playing tricks, but then I had a roommate who moved in and without my ever saying anything to her, told me she kept seeing a tall man with a hat walking through the dining room and over to the basement door. Further, after I moved in I took in some cats, and every so often they would all jump up, run over to the basement door and sniff and scratch and paw at the door.

I also felt something touch my back and my shoulders when I was on the computer in my bedroom. I'd think it was one of the cats or my daughter, and turn around and no one/nothing was there. That happened pretty often. Heard footsteps and the basement door slam occasionally, also.

I lived there for four years, and I haven't had that experience since I moved out. It was an old house, built in the 1890's. It wasn't scary at all when I saw him, and I would never see the ghost if I looked for it, only when I didn't expect it.

What you're describing is a classic "shadow Man" Look them up, google shadow people + images. Many appear as a man with a hat, creepy!

I've found them to be rather timid, just yell at them to go away and they disappear. Either that or you are dreaming and the act of shouting wakes you up. I find I'm usually semi-paralyzed, I can't really talk, I'm more straining to make the sound come out, I'm so frozen with fear. When I finally do find my voice, the thing disappears.

Also, I've found cats are very sensitive to them. I've had cats growl and frighten them off. My dh never sees them, but our cat always did. I'd see it, and dh said I was dreaming. Then why did dc (dear cat) growl? Cats can be quite sensitive to the "other world". She was our attack kitty, may she RIP! Not to worry, I have another attack kitty, always on guard!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM

324 posts, read 317,720 times
Wow! This is really a GREAT DEBATE!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:31 PM

442 posts, read 485,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I had a similar experience after my parents died- they died 9 months apart-I would smell coffee,my dad drank it like water, and feel him sit on my bed, did not saying or doing anything. It happened 6 months to the day after they were both gone and it only happened 3 times always in my bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal