Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:11 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Just the other day Steven Hawking basically said don't talk to aliens. He's like one of the smartest people alive isn't he? If he thinks the aliens are real - we should listen.

DONT MAKE CONTACT!

lol
Yeah I saw that article on Yahoo News as well, and mathematically he says that there are aliens for sure. And that we've made some MAJOR mistakes by sending information out in space, like live streaming music and messages and descriptions of what our place looks like.

I wish we made smarter decisions, sometimes things can come back to haunt you! Yikes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:51 AM

118 posts, read 365,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
"Earth" is a reality TV show.
If that makes me Jim Carrey, okay.

My opinion on aliens/time travellers: Aliens, as we generally think of them, have to exist. Our planets and stars take up a huge area. What do you think about the fact that our solar system/galaxy is only one of many? The Hubble Space Telescope site estimates there are hundreds of billions of galaxies. 3000 are visisble, and even that is a a very large number.
How could we be so narrcassistic as to think that only ours has life?
Even if human life would be difficult to sustain on another planet, perhaps intelligent life on that planet would find it difficult on Earth. It's called adaptation.

HOWEVER, I'm not so positive that aliens exist in the way your friend claims. I'm actually less likely to believe that someone got abducted or had contact with aliens if they tell me that than if they say some slimy creature in a UFO did it. Time travel would be less realistic in my opinion, because if someone did know how to travel through time, they'd be trying to milk that for $$$.

Unless he meant time travel like in the show LOST. They don't actually control it, they just end up in a place until a bright white light comes along (UFOs anybody!?!?!, lol) (or the editors decide to cut to a random part of life that no one cares about).

Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM

118 posts, read 365,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah I saw that article on Yahoo News as well, and mathematically he says that there are aliens for sure. And that we've made some MAJOR mistakes by sending information out in space, like live streaming music and messages and descriptions of what our place looks like.

I wish we made smarter decisions, sometimes things can come back to haunt you! Yikes!!
I don't think they will have any idea what the music is. I mean, seriously, we might all know Across The Universe by the Beatles as music, but who is to say they won't think it's some natural sound?

An extreme (and wrong) example would be thunder on earth. We give it a reason, but what if really, thunder was just their song. We'd have no idea it was a peace offering or whatever.

Also, considering how many different languages we have on earth, and how many have existed and disappeared in the past, I highly doubt the aliens would even understand our messages and descriptions of what our place looks like.
They wouldn't be able to figure it out either, unless they had some knowledge of the languages on our planet already, and if that is the case, they're already a few steps ahead of us, so sending messages doesn't really matter.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:03 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyburns View Post
I don't think they will have any idea what the music is. I mean, seriously, we might all know Across The Universe by the Beatles as music, but who is to say they won't think it's some natural sound?

An extreme (and wrong) example would be thunder on earth. We give it a reason, but what if really, thunder was just their song. We'd have no idea it was a peace offering or whatever.

Also, considering how many different languages we have on earth, and how many have existed and disappeared in the past, I highly doubt the aliens would even understand our messages and descriptions of what our place looks like.
They wouldn't be able to figure it out either, unless they had some knowledge of the languages on our planet already, and if that is the case, they're already a few steps ahead of us, so sending messages doesn't really matter.
I read somewhere about Hawkings also mentioning how they've sent visuals of our planet into space. Pictures and things like that really can be a dangerous idea, especially when it comes to making communication.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 PM

111 posts, read 251,660 times
Default Travelling through space & time. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyburns View Post
. . . .HOWEVER, I'm not so positive that aliens exist in the way your friend claims. I'm actually less likely to believe that someone got abducted or had contact with aliens if they tell me that than if they say some slimy creature in a UFO did it. Time travel would be less realistic in my opinion, because if someone did know how to travel through time, they'd be trying to milk that for $$$.
Unless he meant time travel like in the show LOST. They don't actually control it, they just end up in a place until a bright white light comes along (UFOs anybody!?!?!, lol) (or the editors decide to cut to a random part of life that no one cares about).
MB - From what I recall, my (mis?)understanding of travel through time & space is that they are able to 'control' the many energy sources in nature. So, like when you hold two magnets close together, opposite poles attract and similar poles repel. (Is that the right way 'round?)
The function of what we see as a 'space craft' is, in fact, a 'capsule' which
'energizes' itself and everything in it. I think it's the 'acceleration' that's the problem, not the speed. . . .
I guess that's the reason that we call them 'UFO's' - 'Unidentified' being the operative word . . .
(By-the-way, the idea was that they don't 'fly' they 'float'. Much like white-water-rafting - where you can only 'row your boat' at 2-3 MPH, but relative to the earth you are indeed 'flying' . . . . .

Old 05-02-2010, 12:06 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
I see and talk with the shadow people often. They are waiting and watching.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Recently while me and a few Martians were standing around the cooler we were laughing at people who believe in time travel, little did they know I was from the future.
Don't buy the cheap time machines on e-bay spring for the better model on Craiglist

Old 05-02-2010, 10:09 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Talking .

I believe in time travel because I’ve emailed myself in the past and I’m back soon enough to receive it before my fingers can leave the keyboard. Nothing can travel at that speed other then a “time traveler”.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
I think I've time traveled too. I've called myself before on the phone and the line is already busy!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,339 times
This may be a bit off topic, but I have experienced deja vu several times. I have had a theory since I was a child. Reincarnation, ever consider it? Say we have been put on this Earth to experience life. Not several other lives, but one. And if we, say experience deja vu then we know we are on the same path as before. And if your on the same path deja vu is just our way of reminding us "Oh yeah, been there done that." So take a look at your life and evaluate. Have you made any major decisions in your life lately? Maybe you should have taken the other path in that decision. And I could totally be wrong, like I said it is just a theory. I would love to hear anyone else's theory on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal