Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:37 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
Vatican: It's OK for Catholics to Believe in Aliens - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com
Really, do some research before saying that all but Buddhism would be impossible; the Vatican also agrees that evolution is the best known theory for the creation of humans, and I guess aliens could evolve just like us!
I'm expressing "my" worldview based on my own life experiences and beliefs. I'm not writing a term paper to be graded by some anonymous internet poster! In addition, I don't give a rats ass what the Vatican has to say about anything!!!

Hey, guess what everybody...I didn't get struck by lightning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie g-tad View Post
terrific progressive insights can still be marketed. hence the terrestrial aliens are so wonderfully discreet.
What does this mean? Is this Esperanto? Pig Latin? Some strange language twins speak? Smoke and mirrors? I never really understand most of your posts, except the ones where you put down my taste in music. I heard those loud and clear and they struck a chord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Not necessarily. Believers would just change their beliefs to fit new findings...just as they have always done. They would be telling us that their god made the aliens too and that he has sent them to test our 'faith'.
Rafius rang the bell on that one!

Last edited by saucywench; 05-01-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:41 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Because the Bible isn't supposed to be taken literally, my friend.
So where does that leave us? Let's take a look....

If there was no Garden of Eden there was no Adam and Eve.
No Adam and Eve means no 'original sin'.
If there was no original sin there was nothing for Jesus to save you from.
If there was nothing for Jesus to save you from there was no need of the crucifixion.
If there was no crucifixion there was no resurrection
Without the crucifixion and resurrection, Christianity collapses like a house built on sand.

....and wasn't it you that I asked earlier just how you decide what parts of the Bible must be taken literally and what parts are to be taken as metaphor and allegory? I don't think I got an answer.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Because the Bible isn't supposed to be taken entirely literally, my friend.

They've got an explanation for everything don't they? Even the unexplainable! Maybe you should do some research yourself!

What about the ten commandments, not to be taken literally?

Oh good, I can go dig up those bodies in my back yard. I'll go ahead and interpret Thou shall not kill as...Thou shalt not kill, unless they have it coming to them!

Old 05-01-2010, 02:43 PM

360 posts, read 444,476 times
I edited my previous post. Sorry for the confusion, my friend. Read this if you want to know what I mean:

Quote:
Well, Genesis is an easy one. At the beginning of Genesis, all that six days of creation and such? -- symbolism.

The next story, Noah and the Ark, is a bit harder. Fun fact: around the time described, other flood myths were also created. We may take that two ways, that the Israelite's version of the flood story is simply generic and a part of their stories, like the creation stories, or that it is based on the great event of the flood of the Bosporus Strait! As you know, the Strait flooded a long, long time ago, and the early humans in the area (you betcha there were humans there) would've certainly talked about such an event. To make their stories of the flood interesting, they add a part about a great hero that saved the world by loading local animals in his boat. And yes, there are other flood stories that incolude such a figure.

The third is Babylon. Babylon, as you know, existed. Whether the described tower did is unknown, but through the ages, as the story of the great city of Babylon is formed, we can assume that like Noah and the Ark it was a bit twisted from reality. Maybe the tower didn't exist, but Babylon did.

The fourth, Abraham. I honestly have no idea about him, but I think he was a real person. Whether he did what was described, that is, found both the Israelites and the ancestors of what would become the Moslems, no idea.

Now let's move on to late Genesis, with the story of Jacob. Jacob was probably real, I'd say. According to the Bible he was a powerful figure in Egypt and was able to lead the Israelites there where they flourished. One may assume that this was possible (that is, a foreigner becoming a politician in the great state of Egypt) because of a temporary coup on Egypt that put foreigners in power. Yes, a real historical event. Whether it is when Jacob existed, I do not know.

Now for Exodus. The Israelites, after the death of Jacob, were being oppressed by Egypt for fear they become too powerful. Therefore, Moses, leader of the twelve tribes of Israel, led them away, across Sinai and north to Canaan. This happened; that is certain. But how it did, unknown. For one thing, why wouldn't the Egyptians record their failure to stop them (the parting of the Red Sea)? That's an easy one. Either it was exaggerated (you can bet on it), or the Egyptians frankly didn't want to record their failure, or both. Anyway, Moses and the Israelites head north for Canaan.

Numbers is teachings; it has census information and laws and such. Some history mixed with it.

Deuteronomy, history.

Joshua, history of more battles, including the Fall of Jericho.

Judges describes the judges of early Israel. They were political and religious leaders. Thye came before Israel's kings.

Samuel spanned the gap between the judges and the kings, the first being Saul. History.

Kings, history.

Chronicles, history.

Ezra and Nehemiah are prophets. We can assume that these contain a mix of history and teachings. The prophets, after all, were God's "messengers" and were involved in both Jewish religion and politics, although reluctantly the latter, as it seems.

Tobit is fictional. It's a great story, though; I really like it myself!

Judith is fictional. It's based on history, though. The wars up to the point where Judith is described are true; it's Judith that is fictional.

Esther is hostorical.

Maccabees is history.

I am unsure about Job. I am going to say, though, that it is fiction, just to be safe.

Psalms is poetry and such. Very nice, too! I think it could be classed as teaching.

Proverbs, teaching.

Wisdom is teaching.

Sirach is similar to Wisdom in that it is teaching.

Isaiah is prophetic, therefore it is teaching. Same for Jeremiah, although it has some history to it.

Lamentations is history.

Baruch, Ezekiel, and Daniel are all teaching and history.

Hosea and Joel are teaching.

Amos and Obadiah are teaching.

Jonah is fiction. Again, great story anyway!

Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, and Haggai are teaching.

Zechariah is symbolic teaching.

Malachi is teaching.

A thousand pardons if I have made mistakes in this quick summary. It was done rather hastily. I did research it, but I cannot cross-reference any of my findings. Please, correct me if you see a mistake in there. I hope this helps.
Hope that helps.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:48 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
Hey, guess what everybody...I didn't get struck by lightning!

What does this mean? Is this Esperanto? Pig Latin? Some strange language twins speak? Smoke and mirrors? I never really understand most of your posts, except the ones where you put down my taste in music. I heard those loud and clear and they struck a chord.

Rafius rang the bell on that one!
exactly what this world needs. literature to taste. should i quote? fat and excruciatingly obnoxious?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:49 PM

I've probably read the bible more times than you Ohio. And, I've taken classes in both the old and new testaments, so therefore I am not inclined or interested in reading your lengthy interpretation on its purpose.

Go try and school someone else, I'm not biting.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie g-tad View Post
exactly what this world needs. literature to taste. should i quote? fat and excruciatingly obnoxious?
Then why don't you go read a book of your choosing and quit reading this thread?

Or better yet, go listen to some classical music.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:56 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
I edited my previous post. Sorry for the confusion, my friend. Read this if you want to know what I mean:

Hope that helps.
...and the NT?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:58 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Then why don't you go read a book of your choosing and quit reading this thread?

Or better yet, go listen to some classical music.
i will gladly do so as soon as any responsible mod here tells me who the placeholder must be in any present or future.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:59 PM

360 posts, read 444,476 times
Quote:
I've probably read the bible more times than you Ohio. And, I've taken classes in both the old and new testaments, so therefore I am not inclined or interested in reading your lengthy interpretation on its purpose.

Go try and school someone else, I'm not biting.
If I took a class on the Constitution that interpreted it as the work of the devil signing into law a country to be a likeness of hell, well, that's all fine and dandy, but how does that make me educated in the Constitution? It doesn't, my friend!

Point being, there are many possible interpretations of the Bible. The Catholic Bible is undestood to have symbology, fictional stories like Jonah, etc.! Whereas others are to be taken as totally literal.

And excuse me, my friend, but why are you here discussing the Bible with me if you are "not inclined or interested in reading" my explanation? Boy, if I could just ignore half of what you say, that would make debates much easier!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal