Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 04:43 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,038,804 times

Advertisements

My husband had a loan with a bank in the UK before he moved to the US. He was paying it every month by putting money into his UK account , even when he moved to the US. After about a year of being here, he couldn't find a job and things started to get tight.

Then he had a job for a while, which didn't pay a lot and we barely got by. Now since the economy has been so bad, he hasn't had a job in two years. I know the bank must still be trying to contact him.

He wants to go to the UK to visit family and also see what he can work out with the bank, but he has this fear that he will be detained at the airport for loan default. I don't know if immigration and a private loan have anything to do with each other.

DO you think that he would be questioned about that at the airport or does immigration have nothing to do with your financial debts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 06:22 AM

112 posts, read 287,479 times
Owing money isn't a crime unless there's fraud involved. Nobody at the airport would know and there's nothing they could do anyway. It's a civil matter. People don't go to jail for owing money (except if fraud is involved, as I said).

Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,038,804 times
Ok, I guess he figures that it will be considered fraud because he left the country to immigrate to the US, but he was still paying it for a while.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:19 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,317,898 times
While here he should do nothing that acknowledges the debt. After six years of no contact it will disappear from his credit file.

Google the words "statute barred". On no account talk or write to debt collection agencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom