Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 PM

59 posts, read 234,377 times

Advertisements

Hello.
Does anybody have an experience in studying at university in UK? How is UK system of higher education compare to US system? Where is better (bachelor dergee)? I am not interested in Internet ratings. I would like to hear any personal opinion based on your personal experience.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:28 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
My personal experience is UK universities would be much poorer places without foreign students paying full fees. Those young people must feel they are getting value for money, and the system seems well set up for their needs. And you get your degree in England in three years instead of four elsewhere.

Always remember when it snowed and all the foreign students came out to take pictures to send home.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 AM

12 posts, read 21,279 times
Default another website to check

The Chronicle of Higher Education has a forum where you can ask your question. Look under Careers > Working Abroad > Academics in the UK. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonAllison View Post
The Chronicle of Higher Education has a forum where you can ask your question. Look under Careers > Working Abroad > Academics in the UK. Good luck!
I am sorry, but I don't see where is Careers on this forum. Could you please post a link?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 PM

36 posts, read 139,957 times
Depends entirely on what you want to study, what you want to do for a job and in terms of where you want to live after you graduate!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusPlus View Post
Hello.
Does anybody have an experience in studying at university in UK? How is UK system of higher education compare to US system? Where is better (bachelor dergee)? I am not interested in Internet ratings. I would like to hear any personal opinion based on your personal experience.

Thank you.

Depends on where you go. I went to a top 10 uni in England and thought it was ok - not great though. I think the quality of higher education in the UK is deteriorating and becoming more uncompetitive globally.

My wife attended a great uni in the US and I would have loved to have had access to the facilities that she had - different league altogether. Again, it depends where you go - there is good and bad in both countries, but IMO the good universities in the States can't be beat.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Depends on where you go. I went to a top 10 uni in England and thought it was ok - not great though. I think the quality of higher education in the UK is deteriorating and becoming more uncompetitive globally.

My wife attended a great uni in the US and I would have loved to have had access to the facilities that she had - different league altogether. Again, it depends where you go - there is good and bad in both countries, but IMO the good universities in the States can't be beat.
Yes, but good university in US cost about $40 000 year. Of course you can go to University of Minnesota for $15 000 per year, but it is still a lot for this kind of school. In UK you pay usually 3 250 (EU citizen) pounds/year. It is why I applied to UK.

I applied to both countries, and in my experience UK response look way more professional compare to Uni of Minnesota. Of course I can not tell about all uni in US , but only about uni in Minnesota.

I notice here in US that all what they care, only charge you as much money as possible in short period of time. Basically you don't study, you just fly over curriculum. They give you very little class hours, and expect you to know a lot. You should sudy MOSTLY yourself with book. I just don't understand why do I need to pay teacher if I study mostly myself? I can read book without paying thousands dollars for it.

Another story - books. Every year in US they make new books, and require you to buy it. Each of this books cost $150 $200. All what they do, just change chapters, or change couple numbers (for example Mathematics), and sell it like new book. Horroble!

Plus US medical insurance $1 500 year minimum, plus parking $ 1000 minnimum. At the end you can have debt $60 000 - $100 000, depends on school for this kind of education, where you study youself for his money

I would like to study for Accounting and Finance, and I would like to stay in Europe if I get diploma.

I have never studied in UK, and I just wondering how is quality of education compare to US? May be someone can give me more information?

Thank you.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
What is your residency status? Our fees are just as high but they are government subsidized.. Foreign students still pay a lot more than that. All of the other issues you have raised are the exact same here. Degrees are meant to be 'read' and not taught so you the majority of time is supposed to be reading and not in a lecture theatre.. This is the same wherever you study.

The standards of teaching are higher in the US as the most qualified professors are lured to the US for the money and research opportunities (which is far greater your side of the pond). I can't speak for Minnesota but that's the case for good schools there.

It all depends on you and what you want.. If you want to study here then there are some fantastic universities and you will have a great time. You can still work in either country after you graduated if you have residency in both (albeit the post grad qualifications are different). I have friends that graduated from my university that now work at the big firms in Chicago, and they transferred pretty easily.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM

14 posts, read 48,364 times
you should follow arlingtonallison's advice to try the chronicle's forum. your question will then be answered by UK academics.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKorBust View Post
you should follow arlingtonallison's advice to try the chronicle's forum. your question will then be answered by UK academics.
Yes, I know, but where is that forum? Please give me a link if you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom