Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:02 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,989,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
I stayed in St Albans and absolutely loved this place.

It has so much history and was a respite from the hustle and bustle of London.

I loved the contrast of a good sized city with amenities and the huge city of London with so much culture.

People were kind and helpful and very funny. They also appreciated my humor and I felt happy there.

And, yes, I believe all tea party people are idiots and if you don't like it, tough tea biscuits.

Thanks everybody else for you comments and good wishes.
You complain about the narrow minds of Americans, but you refer to all tea party people as idiots. The U.S. , like the UK, is an open and free society and we are not going to agree with everything every group advocates. This doesn't make them all idiots. Maybe your intolerant and narrow minded. The U.S. is a nation of 300+ million and it is expected that there will be a wide variety of agendas and advocates. Maybe you should learn to accept this and get over it.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM

176 posts, read 521,124 times
Default Sure is a mess

To those who dismiss and disparage, you're exactly the type of person, be it American or British, that I try to avoid at all costs.

I do not get "vacation highs". I am more mature than that.

I just met nice and helpful people.

Some here should try it sometime.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
To those who dismiss and disparage, you're exactly the type of person, be it American or British, that I try to avoid at all costs.

I do not get "vacation highs". I am more mature than that.

I just met nice and helpful people.

Some here should try it sometime.
Yet it is O.K. for you to label all persons in a particular group as idiots or it's O.K. for you to making sweeping generalizations concerning an entire nation. I think it would be best if most people avoided someone such as yourself. Maybe you should stick with the group that thinks just like you. Diversity is a scary thing.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,343,879 times
wait a few months; judging by the overtaking of american news by brit voices,Craig Ferguson, and the replacement for what's his name, they're all going to be coming your way any day now! I can't view a major American news forum without having to listen to that British twang.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:46 PM

Americans love British accent. They associate it with high intelligence, wit, credibility, sophistication and an enduring history. To an American being a well spoken Brit is like adding an additional 10 points to your IQ.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:34 PM

693 posts, read 1,598,111 times
I think it is pretty normal for people who visit somewhere for the first time to have really strong reactions (positive or negative) and make comparisons with their home country. I loved living in the UK and always enjoy visiting. But I also love the States and am happy to be there (when I have the opportunity to be!) too. When I first went to live in the UK I did go through this "everything is so much better here, America sucks" attitude. But the longer I lived there, while not diminishing my appreciation, I also came to realize that there are plusses and minuses to every place. I do think that making sweeping generalizations about a country (either positive or negative) shows a lack of understanding of people and culture.

Because politics was brought up by the OP, I will also comment that when visiting another country you will never appreciate the political issues that are there, as you do not have a vested interest in the political situation. You are there to enjoy cultural attractions, interact with people on a casual basis, look at scenery, etc.

Anyway, I feel very fortunate as I've lived in many countries, and I try to incorporate the best of what I've experienced into my life wherever I am.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:34 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
I stayed just outside of London for a month.

People were so nice to me. They are so chatty there and so helpful.

And, the best thing? Their sense of humor. You could make a joke and they got it. You could joke around and they liked it. You could joke with men and they didn't see it as a come on, like they do here.

The food was great. I went into London 3 or 4 times a week to museums or shows or concerts. Just wonderful.

Now I'm back in the usa. depressed. people here are so SELF CENTERED. They are so full of themselves and worry only about themselves. They have no sense of humor. They are dolts.

I desperately wish I could live in the UK. But, I don't have a huge income nor do I have a British spouse. So depressing.

American culture is violent, self centered and anti intellectual.

This country is just getting worse and worse. And, of course the tea party idiots are dragging us down even more.

I hate it here.
Visiting somewhere and living there are two different things. At least some of what you experienced might just have been because your attitude was better because you were on a trip/vacation.

Even if you could get a work visa, try living and working day in & day out in a place like London. From what I hear, the COL in London makes New York look cheap by comparison. Life is not a bowl of cherries anywhere.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:37 PM

693 posts, read 1,598,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Americans love British accent. They associate it with high intelligence, wit, credibility, sophistication and an enduring history. To an American being a well spoken Brit is like adding an additional 10 points to your IQ.
LOL, that is so true! I have worked with Americans who give more credibility to what someone says because they have an English accent (when that English person fully admitted to me that they were talking out of their arse. ). But, I've only seen this with people who speak with a "posh" (or along the lines of posh) English accent.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:47 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Take a look in the mirror. You were pretty dismissive and disparaging in your original post.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,799,698 times
From what I've found, the most intolerant people are usually the ones who preach about tolerance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom