Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM

163 posts, read 320,762 times

Advertisements

A lot of people seem to have a complaint that the tax payer will be picking up this bill for the wedding, quite right we should, if you look at it this way, we will pick up the bill for their wedding, yes, it may cost half a million pound, the MP's spend more than that redecorating their offices for chirst sake, but the simple mater of the fact is, is that, yes, the royals may be classed as celebritys, but it will bring in millions of pounds more in revenue from sales from small business selling plates, mugs, flags etc, revenue to londons hotels will soar, resturants etc, the royal palaces will see a boom in visitor sales, flights to the uk from tourists, the list is endless, look at it from an investment point of view, the govenment will invest half a million of taxpayers money, to get millions back in VAT etc all to the tresuray. I don't see the problem with that to be honnest, what ever helps the economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
It will be phenomenally good for tourism (from what I read anyways!). Now if only we could combine that revenue with them paying for their own wedding.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:43 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
It will be phenomenally good for tourism (from what I read anyways!). Now if only we could combine that revenue with them paying for their own wedding.

I know your joking but I hate the 'tourism' argument - as if heathrow would suddenly see numbers of drop if the UK didn't have a monarchy

Windsor castle is the most visited of all of the crown estate - and yes, get this, it features lower than legoland on the most visited list of tourist attractions in the UK..

Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Have them pay for the wedding but put them on a profit share of the money made out of extra tourism, etc. to incentivize them to market the wedding to the max. If they do a great job and tourism booms then not only will their share of the proceeds cover the cost of the wedding but they might even make a few bob extra.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:34 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
It's been all over the news over here in the States. Great news, but I don't see how it's relevant to us Americans. I can't imagine how tired you guys in the UK are of hearing about it.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,344 times
I hope they somehow find some privacy.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
It's been all over the news over here in the States. Great news, but I don't see how it's relevant to us Americans. I can't imagine how tired you guys in the UK are of hearing about it.
It isn't relevant to Americans but so many in the US seem fascinated by it.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I know your joking but I hate the 'tourism' argument - as if heathrow would suddenly see numbers of drop if the UK didn't have a monarchy

Windsor castle is the most visited of all of the crown estate - and yes, get this, it features lower than legoland on the most visited list of tourist attractions in the UK..
Fact of the matter still remains that the royal family bring in about £500mil every year in tourism. Do you think they're lying about that figure? It's estimated that will increase to £1 billion because of the wedding next year. And don't forget that tourism isn't just about foreigners - many UK residences/citizens also contribute to the tourism. It's a national celebration and what do people do when they celebrate? They spend money! It's good for the economy whether you can see it or not.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:14 AM

174 posts, read 372,875 times
The great mistake we made back at the time the colonies were Let Go was not to send 'em the monarchy as a parting gift. They are much more interested in it than most of us are, as far as I can see !

Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 AM

50,365 posts, read 63,948,892 times
In case you care. This American thinks it is nice of y'all to throw a nice romanic wedding to distract us from the typical doom and gloom in the news. Everyone likes to see a wedding of two young people in love.
Is it really important to anyone? No, just a pleasant distraction. Actually, isn't the whole royal family just a pleasant distraction? I wake up wondering which hat the Queen will wear today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom