Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,389 times

Advertisements

In America Scotland and Ireland are often compared and mistaken for each other, to the point that the word "wee" is erroneously attributed to leprechauns.

Indeed, it's true Scotland does have a connection to Ireland. In fact, the term "Scot" was originally used to refer to the Irish. The Gaelic culture spread to Scotland from Ireland.

However, most of Scotland's population lives in the Lallans (Lowlands) which had limited Gaelic influence and mostly have Pictish/Brythonic and then a Germanic history. This overall has more in common with England.

Southern Scotland has also spoken English (or at least a language close to it, Scots) as long as England has.

So what do you think? I'd especially like to hear from Scottish people.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
its a rather silly question , of course scotland is more like england , they are neighbours and have been part of the same country for several centurys , culturally , scots are however quite similar to the british people who live in northern ireland ( pop one million )

Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,865,857 times
Not really. I disagree

Culturally Scots are more in common with us in Northern Ireland I feel than those in England particularly in the South-East of England. For example, we use the same kinda farming methods.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Not really. I disagree

Culturally Scots are more in common with us in Northern Ireland I feel than those in England particularly in the South-East of England. For example, we use the same kinda farming methods.
most scots are not farmers

Old 02-17-2013, 01:23 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
its a rather silly question
Almost any question asked by a North American in this or the Europe subforum is silly/stupid/unnecessary/obsessed with race, etc... according to you lot. Just a light question driven by curiosity - no need for knee-jerk derision.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
its a rather silly question , of course scotland is more like england , they are neighbours and have been part of the same country for several centurys , culturally , scots are however quite similar to the british people who live in northern ireland ( pop one million )
But I'd say Ireland and Scotland are neighbors too. Water is as much a connector as a divider. For example, it would have been easier 2 centuries ago to administer San Francisco from Peking than it was from Washington, D.C.

I would be inclined to agree with you, though. Scotland is overall more like England though I'd say only the north of England. Anywhere in Ireland is more similar to Scotland than the south of England is (IMHO).

Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
In America Scotland and Ireland are often compared and mistaken for each other, to the point that the word "wee" is erroneously attributed to leprechauns.

Indeed, it's true Scotland does have a connection to Ireland. In fact, the term "Scot" was originally used to refer to the Irish. The Gaelic culture spread to Scotland from Ireland.

However, most of Scotland's population lives in the Lallans (Lowlands) which had limited Gaelic influence and mostly have Pictish/Brythonic and then a Germanic history. This overall has more in common with England.

Southern Scotland has also spoken English (or at least a language close to it, Scots) as long as England has.

So what do you think? I'd especially like to hear from Scottish people.
The word "wee" is used in Northern Ireland though

As is the Gaelic word "och" (roughly translated as 'alas' or an expression of regret) though it is pronounced differently in most parts of Ireland.

I think you're probably right when you say that the North of England may have more in common with Scotland than southern Ireland but the north of Ireland probably has more in common with Scotland than anywhere else in the UK.

Living in London I've noticed especially that lads from Belfast tend to get on very well with lads from Glasgow especially when the Celtic game is on the big screen down the local pub.

I'm sure the reverse is true of Rangers fans watching their club as both Glasgow clubs have massive followings in the north of Ireland.

I've lived in London for many years now and have to say that I've seen many Scots alongside English at work and at leisure and they are anything but separated at birth.

I'd say that overall the Scots are as distinguished in character as the Irish and less like the English than the Welsh. Some English people living in the north along the border are very different in accent and culture to the Scots and even the Geordies come across as a different breed entirely.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 02-17-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
As a Scot living in the US I am far more likely to be confused with being Irish than English. It's an accent thing though - we tend to swallow our consonants more than many in England.

I think we are all pretty distinct although I've always gotten on well with any Irish I've met. Also gotten on well with any Welsh as well. Perhaps we are united in our hatred of the English!

Just kidding about the last part - BUT, the vast majority of the population of the UK is English, the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish are much smaller populations who strive to maintain their identities. The Irish share the Celtic flavor of the Scots but bring their own culture and nationalism to the mix. England has a different atmosphere that I've come to appreciate more as I've grown older. I used to find London overwhelming and alienating but after all these years abroad have come to enjoy it's multicultural aspect and trendsetting optimism.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Historically and politically the Scots seem more aligned with England. Through language, religion, politics (many royals were from Scotland and Scotland is an important place for British royalty). Ireland has seemed more 'separate', especially prior to colonisation under James I. Northern Ireland is a different kettle of fish.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,267,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
The word "wee" is used in Northern Ireland though

As is the Gaelic word "och" (roughly translated as 'alas' or an expression of regret) though it is pronounced differently in most parts of Ireland.

I think you're probably right when you say that the North of England may have more in common with Scotland than southern Ireland but the north of Ireland probably has more in common with Scotland than anywhere else in the UK.

Living in London I've noticed especially that lads from Belfast tend to get on very well with lads from Glasgow especially when the Celtic game is on the big screen down the local pub.

I'm sure the reverse is true of Rangers fans watching their club as both Glasgow clubs have massive followings in the north of Ireland.

I've lived in London for many years now and have to say that I've seen many Scots alongside English at work and at leisure and they are anything but separated at birth.

I'd say that overall the Scots are as distinguished in character as the Irish and less like the English than the Welsh. Some English people living in the north along the border are very different in accent and culture to the Scots and even the Geordies come across as a different breed entirely.

I agree with both statements

Some scots particularly the catholic and Celtic fans would like to associate themselves more with the Irish than the English hence the reason I wrote in the other thread that we prefer the Irish flag to the Union Jack the same as some Irish prefer the Union Jack to the Irish flag but this all comes down to religion.

While on holiday I've noticed the Scottish and Irish get along extremely well whereas some of the Scottish will avoid the English but not the welsh at all costs. Everyone has their own personal opinion on the topic therefore can not be generalised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom