Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:12 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times

Advertisements

I have to comment here that I really like Nigel Farage. I'm sure most Brits think he's a libertarian nut job who acts like a 5 year old, but I think he's brilliant and he's pretty darn accurate about most things. Great speaker and funny as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:51 AM

174 posts, read 372,294 times
I used to like our pigs, but I had no urge to trust them with my future.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 AM

166 posts, read 229,481 times
Nigel Farage is awful. Most British people have the good sense to ignore him.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:17 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,231,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I have to comment here that I really like Nigel Farage. I'm sure most Brits think he's a libertarian nut job who acts like a 5 year old, but I think he's brilliant and he's pretty darn accurate about most things. Great speaker and funny as well.

"Pretty darn accurate" about what exactly??

Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
"Pretty darn accurate" about what exactly??
1. That the economic differences and true interest rate parity in member states preclude the use of a single currency throughout the EU.

2. That giving up control over your monetary policy is effective suicide of your nation state. (which you haven't done yet, I'll give you that)

3. That the European Union is an anti-democratic organization.

4. That smaller government government and less reliance on the national/federal government ensures maximum liberty.

I mean do you all like being told what to do by an unelected bureaucracy in Brussels? I thought the British were more independent than that.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:38 AM

166 posts, read 229,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

3. That the European Union is an anti-democratic organization.

4. That smaller government government and less reliance on the national/federal government ensures maximum liberty.
These points usually stem from a misunderstanding of what the European project is about.

The EU derives its power from the member states and their govts, which are democratically elected.

Most people make the mistake of trying to think of it in terms of a United States of Europe, which it is not.

Commissioners are appointed by national govts - it's not some anti-democratic conspiracy.

There are flaws in the structure, and mistakes have been made, but I'm not sure how sound the basis is for calling it an anti-democratic organisation.

For many countries in Europe the EU has given them more liberty, not less.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:17 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,621,724 times
I think he's a bit of an old-fashioned right-wing crackpot but I do like and respect people who speak their mind regardless of how popular it will be. Politics would be more boring without him.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:12 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,697,874 times
Farage would probably feel at home in the US Tea party movement, plenty of like minded right wing crackpots there.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:41 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,887,181 times
People that, in the UK, are viewed as right wing crackpots are viewed in the US as mainstream conservatives.

People that, in the UK, are viewed as left of centre but mainstream politicians, are viewed in the US as dangerous communists.

I think that many in the US view the EU as a threat to their dominant economic and political position in the world and the single currency as a threat to the dominant role of the dollar. Most Europeans, on the other hand, seem to be pretty comfortable with the EU.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,738,404 times
The biggest problem the UK has with the EU is that the people don't take it seriously, least of all when it comes to elections. Sending UKIP to represent you is the stupidest decision ever made. Having your interests represented by a party that has only one agenda, to cause as much disruption as possible and impede the process of running the EU as much as possible is a really bad idea. UKIP incidentally means 'you chicken' in Dutch, one of the three official languages in Brussels.

The UK is in the EU and that isn't going to change. The sooner people came to terms with that and started thinking about how to turn membership to their advantage, the better. Electing better representation would be a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom