U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:31 PM

3,838 posts, read 5,265,997 times
Default The Very Frugal Scots

Just a minor question, not very important, but something I've always wondered about:

Any truth in the stereotype of the Scots people being quite/very frugal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 03:06 PM

10,559 posts, read 7,365,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just a minor question, not very important, but something I've always wondered about:

No

Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,125,076 times
Quote:

Yup.......just like the Irish are all belligerent drunks, the English only drink tea, all Canadians are polite, and the loud braggart in the corner is bound to be a Yank.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:23 AM

174 posts, read 190,692 times
There's something in it, but not a lot. Like my Mother's people in Cardiganshire - who have a similar reputation - a high proportion of Scots people were poor, and therefore careful (the Irish stereotype came from much greater, hopeless poverty, where drink was, as they said in Lancashire, 'the quickest' - indeed only - 'way out of Manchester'). The false bit is the idea that the Scots are mean - in my own exerience, when appropriate, they are extremely generous, and great fun.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Thanks for your replies. Sometimes, there's a wee kernel of truth in these stereotypes. Me, I'm of Hungarian extraction. We're reputedly the most emotional of all...and I hate to admit it, but it's very true in my case...stormy weather followed immediately by bright sunshine.

Nothing wrong with being frugal and thrifty...in fact, these days, it's a canny skill to have. I'm making Bubble & Squeak tonight as my frugal meal. Any tips? Never made it before.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM

4,491 posts, read 3,471,027 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Sometimes, there's a wee kernel of truth in these stereotypes. Me, I'm of Hungarian extraction. We're reputedly the most emotional of all...and I hate to admit it, but it's very true in my case...stormy weather followed immediately by bright sunshine.

Nothing wrong with being frugal and thrifty...in fact, these days, it's a canny skill to have. I'm making Bubble & Squeak tonight as my frugal meal. Any tips? Never made it before.
If my grandparents were around they'd know all about bubble and squeak, but I can't remember how they used to cook it. If you're Hungarian by descent do you have a very weird sense of humour? A Hungarian I once knew mentioned that as a national trait, and there's a Hungarian woman who works at the bank I go to who likes making strange comments that are supposedly jokes - I thought she was taking the **** until I got used to her. Just wondered!

EDIT - you can't even say the P word! That's not swearing!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 AM

457 posts, read 678,056 times
Quote:

I love Bubble & Squeak - make sure you get it crispy round the edges, nothing worse than soggy Bubble & Squeak

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Crispy edges--got it. Yum, can hardly wait.

Weird sense of humor? No, don't think so. I'm good at joke telling and love to hear other jokes and think laughter cures a lot, but never have been accused of a strange sense of humor. But I've been called 'witty'--which, I must admit, makes me preen just a bit.

My high school yearbook poem, composed by school-mates, under my photo was:

Patti's pretty, and will always fit
She's filled with personality and wit.

(my best friend wrote it)

Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 AM

10,354 posts, read 6,230,230 times
Moving seamlessly from frugal Scots to bubbles and squeak!

That's my kind of thread!

And yes- it must be crispy round the edges. It's my favourite meal at Christmas, usually eaten on Boxing Day.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,062,087 times
Quote:

Well I only know three . . . and they aren't frugal. I am super frugal (and my roots are all Scottish). Maybe it skips a generation? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom