U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
9,723 posts, read 10,394,867 times
Reputation: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
There are more ways to tell than just the accents.
Of course, but it is one of the main giveaways.

 
Old 06-10-2011, 07:07 PM
 
95 posts, read 54,331 times
Reputation: 147
As a British expat living in the US, I will echo the sentiments of those who say that Britain is F*A*R closer culturally to mainland Europe than it is to the United States. Many (somewhat ignorant) British people think that just because we share a common language and are exposed to much of the same media, we are basically the same. I am here to say b0ll0cks to that. Although we British people are quite unique in the sense of being a largely Euro-skeptic island, we have little in common with the United States, or with the Americans who dwell there. Let's face it, socially, politically and even when it comes to sports or the cars we drive, we have 1,000,000 times more in common with the French, the Dutch or the Germans. In fact, having traveled extensively, I'd say that British culture is not too different from Scandinavian culture, but is nothing like US culture.

You really have to live in both countries for a period of time to understand what I'm trying to tell you. I have and honestly, I am longing to return to the normalcy and the non-fakeness of good old Blighty. Let other immigrant groups pander to immigrate to the United States. I will never be one of those immigrants. I do not buy into the rat race here or the lie that is the American Dream.
 
Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Fife
6,585 posts, read 4,581,096 times
Reputation: 3079
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
As a British expat living in the US, I will echo the sentiments of those who say that Britain is F*A*R closer culturally to mainland Europe than it is to the United States. Many (somewhat ignorant) British people think that just because we share a common language and are exposed to much of the same media, we are basically the same. I am here to say b0ll0cks to that. Although we British people are quite unique in the sense of being a largely Euro-skeptic island, we have little in common with the United States, or with the Americans who dwell there. Let's face it, socially, politically and even when it comes to sports or the cars we drive, we have 1,000,000 times more in common with the French, the Dutch or the Germans. In fact, having traveled extensively, I'd say that British culture is not too different from Scandinavian culture, but is nothing like US culture.

You really have to live in both countries for a period of time to understand what I'm trying to tell you. I have and honestly, I am longing to return to the normalcy and the non-fakeness of good old Blighty. Let other immigrant groups pander to immigrate to the United States. I will never be one of those immigrants. I do not buy into the rat race here or the lie that is the American Dream.
i seem to remember most british people on this forum saying we are closer culturally to europe!
 
Old 06-11-2011, 04:24 AM
 
Location: The Silver State (from the UK)
3,603 posts, read 4,115,135 times
Reputation: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
you can't call the differences between a birmingham and a cockney accent subtle, or a liverpool and belfast accent, or a glasgow and south wales accent, they are REALLY different, lol yeah maybe they do think that yeah thats true, just think the uk accents are completely different in some areas, but like you say maybe that's because i'm from this country

It is because you are from this country. Can you tell the difference between a Canadian and American accent? Because to somebody from the US or Canada they are just as different as a an accent from Liverpool vs Birmingham. Then you have the internal differences - mid west vs north east, California vs south east etc Do you know the difference between Australia vs New Zealand? or what about the different accents/languages within India - I would bet not.

And also, why on earth would you expect an American to know the difference? Is it important somehow?
 
Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 AM
 
2,228 posts, read 2,469,386 times
Reputation: 943
England was very different from Europe some 35 to 40 years ago, but at that time they did not share much with the US.

Back then, everything was different in GB.

There was a great sense insularity and a certain taste of the old Empire, the Commonwealth, a lot of Indian influence, a very strange currency almost impossible to understand, warm beer, awful food, etc.

But the EEC, uniformization, better communications, presence of the Euro has narrowed the gap and now British are almost continental.

Almost nothing in common with the US, certainly, not the language. Europeans speak better American..just kidding.
 
Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 AM
 
95 posts, read 54,331 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
England was very different from Europe some 35 to 40 years ago, but at that time they did not share much with the US.

Back then, everything was different in GB.

There was a great sense insularity and a certain taste of the old Empire, the Commonwealth, a lot of Indian influence, a very strange currency almost impossible to understand, warm beer, awful food, etc.

But the EEC, uniformization, better communications, presence of the Euro has narrowed the gap and now British are almost continental.

Almost nothing in common with the US, certainly, not the language. Europeans speak better American..just kidding.
+1

The UK has indeed become a lot more like the rest of continental Europe over the past few decades, even though some of my fellow countrymen & women would rather not admit that! I emigrated to the US in the early 90's, but Britain feels a *bit* more European every time I go back. I've noticed a lot more outdoor cafes, pubs closing down or becoming almost fully fledged restaurants, many more immigrants from places like Poland and much more choice of restaurants. The chav culture is still there though. I wish it'd die. Ireland is another island EU national that has become far more continental over the years, maybe more so than the UK as they have adopted the Euro and use 'E' numbering on their major roads, despite not being connected to the rest of the continent via land.
 
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Fife
6,585 posts, read 4,581,096 times
Reputation: 3079
i wouldn't say culture comes down to currency and road signs, there is a bit more to it than that!

but i would agree, although britain is becoming more european, i think ireland, well dublin anyway, fells a lot more european
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 AM
 
95 posts, read 54,331 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
i wouldn't say culture comes down to currency and road signs, there is a bit more to it than that!

but i would agree, although britain is becoming more european, i think ireland, well dublin anyway, fells a lot more european
You're right. It was just an observation from when I was in Ireland last year.

Dublin is very European, more so than any British city IMO.
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM
 
166 posts, read 125,217 times
Reputation: 73
That's interesting you say that. What gives you that impression about Dublin?
 
Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM
 
6,663 posts, read 4,053,706 times
Reputation: 1620
Answer: Rest of Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top