Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,978,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Culturally a LOT closer to the rest of Europe than the US, despite the common language. The UK is quite unique, but in terms of politics, healthcare, sports, social policy and demographics, it has 1,000,000 times more in common with a country such as Denmark, Belgium or the Netherlands than it does with the US.
If UK has 1,000,000 times more in common with Denmark, Belgium or the Netherlands how do you explain UK foreign policy regarding wars and the UK has supported and assisted most wars the US has been involved in its history. Even in the Falklands War the US provided military aid to Britian during that conflict:
Just How Much Did the U.S. Help? - TIME

In addition Britain plays an much bigger military role in its duties in Iraq and Afganistan than Netherlands, Belgium or the Netherlands. Thats one of the biggest things in common Britian has with the US as they are more hawkish in military affairs.

IN addition some sort of Anglo-Saxon particularity appears to exist; and complacent, even triumphant, America and Britain have urged on the rest of the world their own prescriptions: lightly-regulated capitalism red in tooth and claw at home, and military intervention where needed to promote democracy around the world. Both seem rather less than winning strategies these days.

http://www.economist.com/node/10927596

Last edited by other99; 07-05-2011 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 07:13 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,110,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESS1 View Post
Same goes for many other European countries too though. I also disagree with you about what music is popular in the UK. Several European acts have been huge in the UK, but have done comparatively little in the USA. Roxette, 2 Unlimited, Culture Beat, Whigfield, Sash, DJ Spiller, Alizee, Real McCoy, Snap, Eiffel 65 and many other (I'm a dance fan) to name but a few continental acts that have been massively successful in the UK over the years.
Roxette, 2 Unlimited, Real McCoy, Snap, and Eiffel 65 also had success in the U.S.

Quote:
Look at the current UK top 40:

Radio 1

There's some American stuff in there, but also some British and European acts that are virtually unheard of over here. The top 40 in France doesn't look too different.
To be a hit on either the American or British charts, a song practically needs to be in English. The French top 40 is largely comprised of French artists that are equally unknown in the United States and Britain.

Quote:
But it doesn't boil down to popular music. Britain is more European than it thinks, while also being an island with somewhat of an anti-Euro rebel mentality. The British and Irish are kind of unique as the blood of the indigenous people still makes up the majority. The various indaders: Romans, Vikings, Saxons and Normans probably only have a 15% influence on the bloodline of modern day Brits. This is why British people are so easy to spot, because they have a certain look that sets them apart from the rest of Europe, except for maybe northern France, where many people could easily pass as Brits (I assume this is due to intertwined histories, similar migration patterns).

But when it comes to the meat & potatoes, Brits are far more European than American for the reasons I stated in my previous post in this thread and as someone else quite rightly pointed out, our nation was founded on the principles of rebelling against England and everything she stood for at the time.

I also expect that the UK will become more European in time, especially given the enormous amounts of migration to the UK from Eastern Europe and the fact that younger British people are not the same as the stiff upper lip elders, Britain seems like a country that is becoming a lot less sexually repressed and very tolerant of homosexuals. The US is on quite a different path. I see us forging closer ties with emerging Latin America and our ever evolving stock of people will become somewhat more Latin.
For one thing, I wouldn't say they are becoming "less sexually repressed" but "more immoral". But that goes for the U.S. too. And the U.S. is also becoming tolerant of homosexuals...have you seen the surveys on gay marriage lately? The U.K. does not have "gay marriage"; many U.S. states now have it.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,668,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Roxette, 2 Unlimited, Real McCoy, Snap, and Eiffel 65 also had success in the U.S.
They were all just one-hit wonders though, except Roxette who had several hits.

Quote:
The U.K. does not have "gay marriage"; many U.S. states now have it
The UK has civil unions which grant the exact same rights as marriage. Most US states call them civil unions too, it avoids more of the problems with calling in "marriage" for some reason.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,110,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
They were all just one-hit wonders though, except Roxette who had several hits.
I remember Eiffel 65 as being quite popular when I was in 7th grade (1999-2000). Their "Europop" CD was on prominent display in the stores and everybody had it.

Snap had at least two hits in the U.S.: "Rhythm is a Dancer" and "The Power". Real McCoy as well: "Runaway" and "Another Love", with "Automatic Lover" a borderline hit.

I would agree with you, though, that dance music has traditionally been far more popular in the U.K. than it is in the United States, at least until two or so years ago. However, it was even more popular in some continental countries (Germany, Italy, Sweden, etc.), at least that of the poppy eurodance (Real McCoy, Culture Beat, E-Type, Corona, etc.) and "eurotrance" (Cascada, DHT, Alice Deejay, Karma) variety. The U.K. has actually been a bridge between the underground-oriented dance scene of the U.S. in the 1990's and early 2000's and the mainstream continental scene.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 AM

166 posts, read 375,079 times
Britain truly is an island, both geographically and culturally. They are strong in their ways, and are not heavily influenced by any outside forces. That being said, from living in Europe and knowing many brits (and seeing how they interact with other Europeans), I have an opinion on this question. Not so much in terms of music or clothing. . .but in terms of who they feel more in common with.

I can say, based on my years of experience that brits and americans share a bond that's stronger than brit-european. There is bad blood throughout Europe that we americans don't often fully grasp. I personally never really appreciated Brits before living in Europe. . .but after living around several of them, I honestly look at them as the closest thing to us over the pond. Within minutes of meeting many brits, I feel like I'm among good friends. I could never say that within minutes of meeting an Italian or Spanish or French person. Evidence in my mind of the larger cultural barriers between us.

Besides, brits and irish are a riot. No pub table in Europe should be without at least one of them present!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,665,726 times
A weegie would feel out of partially out of place in London due to size. Ask my wife....this is why she partially felt out out of place. The other reason is as you stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
This is typical, people, usually americans, thinking 'nowhere can be as diverse as america', there's huge differences across the uk, and ben you said compare that to a rancher in wyoming to an immigrant in new York who speaks no english to somebody working on an oil rig in alaska, well we can compare that to a farmer in northern ireland, an immigrant who also speaks no english in london and someone working on an oil rig in the north sea, same difference! and va_lucky, a 'weegie' would not feel out of place in london because of the sheer size, it would be because the people of the two cities are completely different

Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 AM

It is...she learns to live with it....worse things in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So it is even worse than I thought!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Need to edit due to me posting this at 6 am and being somewhat asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
A weegie would feel partially out of place in London due to size. Ask my wife....this is why she partially felt out out of place. The other reason is as you stated.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 PM

58 posts, read 87,383 times
i lived outside London and I def think it is more like the US. I also lived in Barcelona, Rome and 5 American cities. The english are not exactly the posh tea party propers you would expect....they are ummmm, well most of them ....are more like...New Jersey people. They are Jersey allll the way, with the exception of will and kate

Old 07-12-2011, 03:46 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,238,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Sep View Post
i lived outside London and I def think it is more like the US. I also lived in Barcelona, Rome and 5 American cities. The english are not exactly the posh tea party propers you would expect....they are ummmm, well most of them ....are more like...New Jersey people. They are Jersey allll the way, with the exception of will and kate

Who, being the some of the biggest welfare recipients in the country, are even worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.