U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 PM

397 posts, read 325,783 times
Britain is closer culturally to the rest of Europe

Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
As an immigrant from North America I would have to disagree: I live in the Midlands and it took me three months to understand what the people here were saying. I was used to the London accents and the Midlands accent was a challenge for me.

Anyone who understands linguistics knows that understanding an accent has to do with one's ear atuning to the accent - and that takes time if it is new. "Head banging" wasn't of much use - but after time, talking and listening to the natives fixed the problem.
It's funny you should say that. I heard a story from a friend from Birmingham (UK, west midlands) about his visit to America. Apparently, one of the locals
complemented him on his English and asked what country he came from

Though, there are many different strong dialects for such a small country. You just have to 'tune in', as you say.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,551,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
US is more like Brazil or something.
In what alternate universe?!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM

7,363 posts, read 2,824,977 times
Closer to the US.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:41 PM

209 posts, read 203,853 times
Canadians see the British more akin to Americans and we see ourselves more akin to the Nordic countries.
Americans certainly see the British as Americans with a cute accent. Poll after poll after poll consistently show that Americans view Britain as their favoured friend and ally.............not Canada. Canadians are very cool with that.
Frankly most Americans view Britain as a cute, funny, and unique suburb.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:43 PM

448 posts, read 439,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Canadians see the British more akin to Americans and we see ourselves more akin to the Nordic countries.
Americans certainly see the British as Americans with a cute accent. Poll after poll after poll consistently show that Americans view Britain as their favoured friend and ally.............not Canada. Canadians are very cool with that.
Frankly most Americans view Britain as a cute, funny, and unique suburb.
But since most Americans can't find Canada on a map I'm not sure we need to take their views seriously.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM

3,062 posts, read 3,838,699 times
Quote:
Canadians see the British more akin to Americans ...
Not this Canadian. Who lives in Britain. In fact the ONLY similarity I see between Americans and Brits is the penchant for the press dragging every politicians dirt out in public and splashing it across the newspapers.

IMO, Brits aren't like Americans at all, apart from the above.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 PM

3,062 posts, read 3,838,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
But since most Americans can't find Canada on a map I'm not sure we need to take their views seriously.
According to one international National Geographic test, 57% of them couldn't find their own country on a world map without labels. But that doesn't mean we should discount what they think. They are a superpower with nuclear weapons. I'm all ears.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM

9,134 posts, read 9,488,160 times
Quote:
Canadians see the British more akin to Americans .
Not sure this is true. Most Canadians who have never been to the UK would expect the country to be quite "non-American". Most who visit the UK tend to be a bit surprised at the ubiquity and omnipresence of American stuff there (TV, movies, music, fast food chains, etc.). Most honestly expect the UK to be more uniquely British - or at least less overtly U.S.-influenced anyway.

Most Canadians realize and think that they are the most American of the big Commonwealth countries, and that the UK-Australia-NZ form a closer bond than Canada-UK does.

Also, I find many Canadians tend to exaggerate how British their own country really is. This is a probably something of an ad hoc defence mechanism against Americanization.

Finally, many Canadians believe they have a commonality with Australians: Commonwealth/British heritage, English-speaking, "new world attitude", countries with a handful of big cities and relatively empty land mass in the rest, etc. Not sure how much Canadians and Australians really have in common culturally, but my experience/observation has been that Canadians and Australians get a long quite well.

Though whether they necessarily get along better than Canadians-Americans or Canadians-Brits, I am not sure...

Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,904,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
According to one international National Geographic test, 57% of them couldn't find their own country on a world map without labels. But that doesn't mean we should discount what they think. They are a superpower with nuclear weapons. I'm all ears.
National Geographic test conducted by whom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom