Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM

93 posts, read 170,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
You guys didn't get his sense of humour or didn't like it or . . . ?
If he was back in England and was saying those things about of bunch of English celebrities, or European celebrities, would it have caused much of an uproar?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
If he was back in England and was saying those things about of bunch of English celebrities, or European celebrities, would it have caused much of an uproar?
Nobody would have batted an eye!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
True, he wouldn't have been doing his job if he hadn't made them feel uncomfortable, and celebrities/audience alike would have taken it in good humour. The idea of him doing that in America is just a bit edgier because of the prospect they might not get the idea that it's all a joke. You should hear some of the things me and my mate Pete say - we spend 80-90% of our time throwing insults at each other, and none of them are meant to be taken at all seriously.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 AM

487 posts, read 891,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
And neither does the British. The monarchy is a good thing for the PM because we have a head of state that is accountable for nothing - the PM attends a few meetings with her and is held to no account or question.. sounds like a good deal! - this is where we are unlike many of our European counterparts that would question those in power - hence the fact that there are only a few monarchies actually left.

But we are also unlike the US in that we prefer to keep our heads down, maintain the stiff upper lip, and just plod along without making any real progress in politics or social policy.
Actually I think the UK is clearly superior here. The UK prime minister has to answer to parliament every week, and is only one vote of no confidence away from losing his job.

US Presidents on the other hand are completely insulated from public criticism -- they give press conferences if they feel like it, but they can ignore everybody for four years if they want.

If people spoke to the US president in public the way British MPs question the prime minister every week, they would be roundly condemned as unpatriotic. (Remember the 'you lie' guy? But in PMQs the prime minister can't get through a sentence without being jeered.)

The UK system (like most parliamentary systems) has the advantage of splitting the head of state (the Queen) from the head of government (the PM). Since these two figures are merged in the USA, people can't attack the head of government without also attacking the symbol of the nation.

Last edited by CHwboy; 01-25-2011 at 07:46 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM

487 posts, read 891,030 times
Oh and of course, the country most culturally similar to the UK is Ireland.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 AM

591 posts, read 926,030 times
Ricky Gervais was brilliant, and his humour was good. Also the fact he had the nerve to make comedic jokes about some of the best actors which no-one does in front of them.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 AM

591 posts, read 926,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
But do you need subtitles to understand it the way we do some from northern England?

I heard it said once that the southern U.S. accent is basically a slowed-down English accent. I sort of see that, but not all northern England accents are the same, just as not all southern U.S. accents are the same.

As to the OP's question, I'd say in some ways yes, in other ways no.
The only 2 places in the North which are hard to understand are Newcastle(Geordie) and Liverpool (Scouse) The rest are fairly easy and just like the rest of the country.

The south however is no different, you have places which are frankly ridiculous to understand (Essex)!

It might be your anti Northern thing, but if you cant understand the majority of places in the North you need your head banging and some help.

Northern England is real England, country side, middle-class true Brits. Unlike the south which is centered around London. With a population and more languages than a full country should have. A horrific city. The Bankers and politicians say it all for the 'posh, clearly snobby southerners'.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:35 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
The only 2 places in the North which are hard to understand are Newcastle(Geordie) and Liverpool (Scouse) The rest are fairly easy and just like the rest of the country.

The south however is no different, you have places which are frankly ridiculous to understand (Essex)!

It might be your anti Northern thing, but if you cant understand the majority of places in the North you need your head banging and some help.

Northern England is real England, country side, middle-class true Brits. Unlike the south which is centered around London. With a population and more languages than a full country should have. A horrific city. The Bankers and politicians say it all for the 'posh, clearly snobby southerners'.
No need to be so defensive. You took a shot at the southern U.S. acccent, so all I was conveying is that many English accents seem as crazy sounding as one from Alabama might sound to an Englishman. As I'm American, I really don't have a stake in the northern vs. southern England debate (although my lineage traces back to Surrey, so take your shots for fun, if you wish). Also, I'm not from Alabama or anywhere in the southern U.S., so poke fun at their accent all you wish. You can bet I do.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM

312 posts, read 909,821 times
Closer to Europe of course. US is more like Brazil or something.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
The only 2 places in the North which are hard to understand are Newcastle(Geordie) and Liverpool (Scouse) The rest are fairly easy and just like the rest of the country....
As an immigrant from North America I would have to disagree: I live in the Midlands and it took me three months to understand what the people here were saying. I was used to the London accents and the Midlands accent was a challenge for me.

Anyone who understands linguistics knows that understanding an accent has to do with one's ear atuning to the accent - and that takes time if it is new. "Head banging" wasn't of much use - but after time, talking and listening to the natives fixed the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom