U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 PM

449 posts, read 467,499 times
Also remember that they weren't complimenting California, necessarily; they were just moaning about the UK.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,205,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Also remember that they weren't complimenting California, necessarily; they were just moaning about the UK.
Lol

Love the way we complain about British weather, as if it were specifically selected as a culural choice!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 AM

357 posts, read 501,102 times
Quote:
In all honesty, i found the weather quite bearable when I was there... cloudy,and a little rainy at times, yes, but it gets cloudy and rainy in california in the winter... maybe a bit chillier than here but that's to be expected. Much nicer than the northeastern US i'd say.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 PM

7,534 posts, read 5,293,639 times
Quote:
HA! That was one of my discoveries from knowing my English relatives and from the people I met on visits.

Moan. Moan. Moan. They've got this gorgeous countryside, history that it would take a lifetime to explore, pubs, package holidays (that Americans would DIE FOR), wonderful grocery stores with good prices even for natural foods--and lots of natural food available, a mild climate free of the huge extremes of weather that we suffer from in the USA--not one meter of snow on the ground all winter OR 100F (whatever that is in celsius) all summer, they get long holidays and I think it is the Law in the UK that their employers have to give them all this time off. Try living in the US with your 2 weeks if you're lucky. And right back to work the day after Christmas too. You even have free (paid for by taxes, yes) health insurance. People here either die or go bankrupt paying medical bills if they are seriously ill.

In the US there is NO decent climate except maybe CA. Everywhere else it is sub freezing in winter and okay in summer, maybe too hot and humid but bearable. OR it is okay in winter but you would DIE in the summer of the extreme heat and humidity. There is no "in between climate."

What else. First time I went to England my relatives had set up a PICNIC table for OUTDOOR drinks at NIGHT. If you tried that in this country you'd be eaten alive by mosquitoes (you call them mossies). We can't be out at night -- we spray insect spray, cover ourselves up, some people are lucky enough to have screened porches, but we still get bitten and it itches like HXXX.

In the northeast all we talk about is the weather and we have a lot more to complain about than the English do. At least we try to cheer each other up -- ha ha, shoveling snow is good exercise, ha ha--in 6 months it'll be too hot-let's be glad for the snow, etc.

I've been in the north of England and heard a collective moan of "Oh, it's raining." To the Americans in the group it was nothing -- you can go out in the rain.

My British husband even said we weren't going to go out one time because it was "raining." Are you KIDDING??!
Of course we went and soon it stopped raining. Who cares?

I've never spent so much happy wonderful time outdoors as I have in England. Walks, picnics, garden tours, just walking around in a town (yes, there's a reason why we have to drive everywhere=weather), and if it's above freezing there in the winter then I am truly envious.

Relatives have told me that there are daffodils in FEBRUARY in a good year! Don't know if I believe that, but probably in MARCH. A host of golden daffs--in MARCH?????? Try May.

But-oh-moan-it.....rains.

And that is my great big American moan. That's what you don't see on tv.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 PM

4,494 posts, read 3,475,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Relatives have told me that there are daffodils in FEBRUARY in a good year! Don't know if I believe that, but probably in MARCH. A host of golden daffs--in MARCH?????? Try May.
Thanks for the post. If I could change one thing about this country it would be the glass-half-empty mentality. Yes, it is the law that employers in this country must give four weeks' holiday a year, and the eight public holidays. No daffodils here yet and I don't expect to see them until early March, but some parts often get them even in January.
The first sign of spring: Daffodils beat the cold to bloom two-months early | Mail Online

Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM

933 posts, read 447,882 times
Quote:
wonderful grocery stores with good prices even for natural foods--and lots of natural food available, a mild climate free of the huge extremes of weather

all summer, they get long holidays and I think it is the Law in the UK that their employers have to give them all this time off. Try living in the US with your 2 weeks if you're lucky.
These 2 points should be flashed in neon so that 1) all Brits who moan would realize how lucky they are and 2) the notion that America is cheaper than the UK doesn't apply to general living, because buying groceries (as in good s**t) is a LOT cheaper in the UK and it's easier to eat healthy (I lived in London for 2 years, so I know).

Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM

18,510 posts, read 8,659,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
These 2 points should be flashed in neon so that 1) all Brits who moan would realize how lucky they are and 2) the notion that America is cheaper than the UK doesn't apply to general living, because buying groceries (as in good s**t) is a LOT cheaper in the UK and it's easier to eat healthy (I lived in London for 2 years, so I know).
I noticed that too. You can get good wholesome from Tesco's for cheap. And I noticed that my fiancee's family shops like, every other day or every 3 days. They walk to the store and walk back with the groceries. I did the same whenever I went to New York City to visit relatives.

Quote:
HA! That was one of my discoveries from knowing my English relatives and from the people I met on visits.

Moan. Moan. Moan. They've got this gorgeous countryside, history that it would take a lifetime to explore, pubs, package holidays (that Americans would DIE FOR), wonderful grocery stores with good prices even for natural foods--and lots of natural food available, a mild climate free of the huge extremes of weather that we suffer from in the USA--not one meter of snow on the ground all winter OR 100F (whatever that is in celsius) all summer, they get long holidays and I think it is the Law in the UK that their employers have to give them all this time off. Try living in the US with your 2 weeks if you're lucky. And right back to work the day after Christmas too. You even have free (paid for by taxes, yes) health insurance. People here either die or go bankrupt paying medical bills if they are seriously ill.

In the US there is NO decent climate except maybe CA. Everywhere else it is sub freezing in winter and okay in summer, maybe too hot and humid but bearable. OR it is okay in winter but you would DIE in the summer of the extreme heat and humidity. There is no "in between climate."

What else. First time I went to England my relatives had set up a PICNIC table for OUTDOOR drinks at NIGHT. If you tried that in this country you'd be eaten alive by mosquitoes (you call them mossies). We can't be out at night -- we spray insect spray, cover ourselves up, some people are lucky enough to have screened porches, but we still get bitten and it itches like HXXX.

In the northeast all we talk about is the weather and we have a lot more to complain about than the English do. At least we try to cheer each other up -- ha ha, shoveling snow is good exercise, ha ha--in 6 months it'll be too hot-let's be glad for the snow, etc.

I've been in the north of England and heard a collective moan of "Oh, it's raining." To the Americans in the group it was nothing -- you can go out in the rain.

My British husband even said we weren't going to go out one time because it was "raining." Are you KIDDING??!
Of course we went and soon it stopped raining. Who cares?

I've never spent so much happy wonderful time outdoors as I have in England. Walks, picnics, garden tours, just walking around in a town (yes, there's a reason why we have to drive everywhere=weather), and if it's above freezing there in the winter then I am truly envious.

But-oh-moan-it.....rains.

And that is my great big American moan. That's what you don't see on tv.
I don't get why so manyhe Brits are so yellow-bellied when it comes to the weather. If you read a the British expat forums, one common complaint is the winter weather and how their kids "can't go outside because it's miserable in winter". Seriously, 40-50 degrees is not miserable in winter. Even life doesn't stop here when it's 0 degrees outside. I'd rather put up with rain than with feet of snow. Luckily if you can find a job, you can live on the Pacific Coast, the closest thing we have to UK weather.

I think Brits really need to stop looking through the rose-colored Spain glasses and appreciate what they have. Hot weather is overrated, I would know. I'm from the tropics But alas, my fiancee wants to move to the southern U.S. so I'll have to get used to the endless heat and having the sun beat down on you

Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 3,107,307 times
The moaning about the weather is just a symptom of other deeper problems, all beyond the average person’s control. Part of the reason many view other places as so brilliant, is, they feel a need to escape. We live in houses the size of sheds, our fuel prices are astronomical, we have entire towns full of the unemployed, or the under-employed, and we have an entire government that spends most of their time dreaming up new taxes, ( Mostly to pay for their previous failings ).

Now, where did I put those rose tinted glasses!?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM

449 posts, read 467,499 times
It's rose-tinted glasses to think that other countries have it better.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 3,107,307 times
Quote:
It's rose-tinted glasses to think that other countries have it better.
I found them, I already had them on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom