U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 PM

371 posts, read 521,006 times

Advertisements

I was in England for just over 2 weeks, and it was my first experience there. I mostly stayed in London, but saw Manchester, Liverpool, and a bit of the northern countryside. I also spent a day in Northern Wales. I was lucky enough to stay with British friends the whole time, so I got a semi-local experience, or at least experience a lot more local culture than I would have otherwise. It was an amazing experience to see how different, yet vaguely similar everything was. I found most people very friendly, which I partially wasn't expecting because I'd heard some bad stereotypes about Americans. My favorite part was the pubs, very rare that you'd find something that laid back in the US, I love how people just go there to socialize.. very similar to some restaurants in the US I suppose?, although the emphasis is on havin a pint or two... Anyway, I had an AMAZING time and look forward to coming back soon!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,716,769 times
I was there nine months and had no bad experiences from my being an American. I think the funniest reaction was when asked where in the states I was from. After I replied California many would say "Why would you want to come here?". Usually I was just complimented on my accent. I agree, Britain is really interesting for an American. Definitely foreign, but still strangely familiar. I think we don't realize how much of British folk history, literature, music, television and movies sinks into our subconscious over a lifetime and when we're there its almost a feeling of déjà vu.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 AM

371 posts, read 521,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I was there nine months and had no bad experiences from my being an American. I think the funniest reaction was when asked where in the states I was from. After I replied California many would say "Why would you want to come here?". Usually I was just complimented on my accent. I agree, Britain is really interesting for an American. Definitely foreign, but still strangely familiar. I think we don't realize how much of British folk history, literature, music, television and movies sinks into our subconscious over a lifetime and when we're there its almost a feeling of déjà vu.
I completely agree with everything you said, especially about being from California... They see it as the place they see on TV, while to us it's just home (not a bad place to call home, don't get me wrong I love it here.) I guess the grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 AM

5,320 posts, read 6,583,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I completely agree with everything you said, especially about being from California... They see it as the place they see on TV, while to us it's just home (not a bad place to call home, don't get me wrong I love it here.) I guess the grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence?
I think they're thinking of the weather, which is never better in the UK. To most people, when they think of California, they think of hot sunny beaches. The UK is cold, rainy, windy and grey. There's no comparison, lol.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,634,387 times
Quote:
I was in England for just over 2 weeks, and it was my first experience there. I mostly stayed in London, but saw Manchester, Liverpool, and a bit of the northern countryside. I also spent a day in Northern Wales. I was lucky enough to stay with British friends the whole time, so I got a semi-local experience, or at least experience a lot more local culture than I would have otherwise. It was an amazing experience to see how different, yet vaguely similar everything was. I found most people very friendly, which I partially wasn't expecting because I'd heard some bad stereotypes about Americans. My favorite part was the pubs, very rare that you'd find something that laid back in the US, I love how people just go there to socialize.. very similar to some restaurants in the US I suppose?, although the emphasis is on havin a pint or two... Anyway, I had an AMAZING time and look forward to coming back soon!
Glad you liked it. IMO the worst thing about British people is the negative outlook on life, so sometimes it takes a foreigner to make us realise the good things about living here

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM

8,023 posts, read 3,279,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think they're thinking of the weather, which is never better in the UK. To most people, when they think of California, they think of hot sunny beaches. The UK is cold, rainy, windy and grey. There's no comparison, lol.
Our weather is good for Ducks though.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 AM

8,023 posts, read 3,279,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Glad you liked it. IMO the worst thing about British people is the negative outlook on life, so sometimes it takes a foreigner to make us realise the good things about living here
It comes with the territory.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM

18,909 posts, read 9,184,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
It's true, my fiancee is one of those very negative people. I told her England is really not as bad as it looks, though I still prefer home and she appreciates that Though I'm not sure why everyone complains about the weather. I prefer it cloudy and cool as opposed to sunny and boiling hot and the winters are pretty mild in Berkshire, which is a major plus

Quote:
I came back from England on the 16th and spent 4 weeks there with my fiancee's family and her of course and I agree on what you said. Though my only complaints were the small houses (felt like I was back in Puerto Rico with everything being mashed together), the BBC, and the weird toilets and the fact that all the sinks and bathtubs have 2 separate water faucets. Took some getting used to, especially so I wouldn't scald my hands Would I live there? Probably not. Would I visit again? You bet. Plans are under the works already.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:24 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,516,288 times
Quote:
I am curious, what was the weather like this part of the year. The only time I have been to the UK has been in the summer months, loved each and every moment of it.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM

18,909 posts, read 9,184,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am curious, what was the weather like this part of the year. The only time I have been to the UK has been in the summer months, loved each and every moment of it.
Most of the time, 40-50 degrees, cloudy with some drizzle. I was there from December 10 till January 16 and besides that cold snap the first week I was there, it was mostly int he 40s and cloudy. We had a couple days where it got up to 55 towards the end of my stay, course those days it were drizzly which didn't bother me. But this was in southeast England, where I stayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom