Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

BRITAIN’S growing obesity problem is on the verge of bankrupting the NHS, a shock new report reveals.

The study, which shows British people are the fattest in Europe, predicts that by 2025 obesity will cost the health service £20billion, equivalent to about 12 per cent of the budget.

Read more: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Obese will bankrupt NHS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BRITAIN’S growing obesity problem is on the verge of bankrupting the NHS, a shock new report reveals.

The study, which shows British people are the fattest in Europe, predicts that by 2025 obesity will cost the health service £20billion, equivalent to about 12 per cent of the budget.

Read more: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Obese will bankrupt NHS
Not exactly unexpected as many of the obese have diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol etc-all risk factors for heart disease and stroke which are 2 out of 3 highest causes of death in the UK.

Stroke is the highest cause of disability in the UK and costs the NHS around 3 billion every year.
That doesn't take into acccount lost earnings and the "cost " of care provided by family.

BTW-some of the comments are amusing to say the least.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:41 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
The NHS will break for many reasons outside of obesity. The fact that it is inefficient for one....

Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Just do not call it health care

Incidence of obesity does not help, but the way thing are going your government will get to the NHS first, and do it in:
NHS hospitals begin axing frontline staff despite government pledge | Society | The Guardian

Previous articles in the press make it clear what the government has in mind, basically in short order a for-profit 'health' system modeled on the quite regrettable American one.

On the bright side, some few people will profit handsomely from this . . .

Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM

410 posts, read 949,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Not sure about round here, but in the forumosphere in general it is usually considered poor form to C&P with not comment or analysis of your own.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 PM

454 posts, read 821,395 times
I would like to see a study on how much "health tourism" cost the NHS as well. I believe also that asylum seekers etc with diseases such as HIV are still allowed in and given care.

I don't think the UK has much choice but to follow the US model unless they decide to stop immigration and raise taxes to shore up the NHS. The burden now is too great to sustain.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM

454 posts, read 821,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The NHS will break for many reasons outside of obesity. The fact that it is inefficient for one....
Yep, I worked on an IT project there a couple of years back and have never seen such high paid consultants and badly run programs. Literally hundreds of millions wasted. The arrogance of the senior NHS management was unreal, all political appointees and mates with the partners at Deloitte and senior management at Capita, Infosys etc. Everyone was getting rich.......

Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
Yep, I worked on an IT project there a couple of years back and have never seen such high paid consultants and badly run programs. Literally hundreds of millions wasted. The arrogance of the senior NHS management was unreal, all political appointees and mates with the partners at Deloitte and senior management at Capita, Infosys etc. Everyone was getting rich.......
Can you be more specific?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Incidence of obesity does not help, but the way thing are going your government will get to the NHS first, and do it in:
NHS hospitals begin axing frontline staff despite government pledge | Society | The Guardian

Previous articles in the press make it clear what the government has in mind, basically in short order a for-profit 'health' system modeled on the quite regrettable American one.

On the bright side, some few people will profit handsomely from this . . .

The NHS has been cutting nursing staff for years- front of house , back of house, everywhere.

Of course now the BMA will make their voice heard because they're getting rid of consultants, and the Royal College of Nursing couldn't fight for anything.
As for the General Public-no one cares about the NHS until they need it.
They know that it's badly run, short of staff, beds and equiment, but won't stand up and fight for a better standard of care or for the staff that work in it.
When they eventually do it'll be too late.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:00 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
I would like to see a study on how much "health tourism" cost the NHS as well. I believe also that asylum seekers etc with diseases such as HIV are still allowed in and given care.

I don't think the UK has much choice but to follow the US model unless they decide to stop immigration and raise taxes to shore up the NHS. The burden now is too great to sustain.

I bet its next to nothing. Why would you travel to the UK for a long wait to be seen or treated? How can you register with a GP if you don't have an address or NI number? When my wife came here with me from the US she wasn't allowed to use the NHS until she had made a certain amount of contribution.

Follow the US model? I think there has to be something in between whereby the NHS is funded through tax contributions but there could be some sort of top up if you wanted and therefore obtain a higher level of speed and service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom