Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:38 PM

134 posts, read 302,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafay View Post
Hello and Good Day all,

... I'm trying to choose between two majors: a joint BA Honours programme with Business and Management and Japanese (I would then like to go on and get my Master's in International Business and Management through Manchester as well) or a Master of Pharmacy....
I didn't just pick the UK out of nowhere, I have visited the UK before, and I kind of would like to get out of the United States.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks....
Out of the two, an MPharm would almost certainly get you a job whereas the competition for Business and Management masters is likely to be a little higher.

Have you considered doing an MPharm in Prague? Czech universities are very keen to attract foreign students (they seem to have realised that it's better to pay lecturers comparatively well and to keep them in the country than to export their skills.) The course standards are high and the qualifications awarded are accepted internationally. Fees are comparable (perhaps now slightly lower) than those in British Universities and many of the courses are taught in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 593 times
Bit late, but I thought I'd contribute anyway.

OP, if you've looked carefully at higher education in the UK (which you obviously have), you'll know how different our system is from yours. As other posters have said, you have to decide what you want to do much earlier here, so really, if you want to do Pharmacy, do an undergraduate course in Pharmacy. If you want to go into business, do a degree in business. It's hard to change your mind, and if you do it costs money. Apart from the fact that post graduate courses tend be very competitive to get onto, university education is so expensive that you don't want to be in any more debt than you have to be.

I'm not quite sure why you think the UK is so different from the US? We import a lot of American TV, films, music...

Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM

109 posts, read 204,298 times
The UK is more similar to the US than anywhere else in the world. The UK is in Europe but is not very European if you know what I mean.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:27 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Well I don't, what do you mean?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM

The UK is very different from say France, Portugal, Spain and Italy. All different European places that share cultural similarities, just like the US has similarities and is much more like the UK than any other European place.

Exactly what British mind-set and way of doing things do you feel is so vastly different? I live in the US and I am from England and I experience both places on a continuing basis.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 PM

15 posts, read 99,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafay View Post
Hello and Good Day all,

I am an American student, and I would like to do my whole degree in the United Kingdom. I have been researching universities, and I have decided on the University of Manchester. I won't be applying for a while, but I'm trying to choose between two majors: a joint BA Honours programme with Business and Management and Japanese (I would then like to go on and get my Master's in International Business and Management through Manchester as well) or a Master of Pharmacy. I read today that the UKBA is closing the post study route, and to be honest, I am hoping to stay in the UK and work after graduating, but now that the PSW visa is going to be eliminated, my only other option is a Tier 2 visa with a sponsor. So, which degree do you think I would have getting the best chance of a sponsorship?

I didn't just pick the UK out of nowhere, I have visited the UK before, and I kind of would like to get out of the United States.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks....
you do no that universities will be £9000 which is $14000 this post probs to late btw lol

Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieh?!?!?! View Post
you do no that universities will be £9000 which is $14000 this post probs to late btw lol
Yah, that price is for English students. For American students, foreign tuition it is about 30,000 dollars which is similar to US tuition.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleDeeD View Post
The UK is very different from say France, Portugal, Spain and Italy. All different European places that share cultural similarities, just like the US has similarities and is much more like the UK than any other European place.
Ah, well I'd agree that the USA is more like the UK than the USA is like mainland Europe, but the UK is much more European than it is American.

Quote:
Exactly what British mind-set and way of doing things do you feel is so vastly different? I live in the US and I am from England and I experience both places on a continuing basis.
Snap!

Even living in one of the "most European" parts of the USA (Seattle), it is still very different. The biggest differences are politics (I doubt there is a single politican in the UK that is right wing enough to be elected as a Republican), religion (which is completely absent from some places and extremely prevalent in others), and work-ethic (Americans get almost no time off work at all - two weeks and a handful of public holidays, compared to the 4 weeks and two handfuls in Britain, or 5 weeks plus several handfuls in Europe). Plus there is the "Anyone can be president" optimism ethos rather than the "There's no reason you can't be successful, but..." cynicism of britain.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:27 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleDeeD View Post
Yah, that price is for English students. For American students, foreign tuition it is about 30,000 dollars which is similar to US tuition.
Unfortunately, no one ever said professional/grad school is cheap huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom