Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,352 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the US for almost 10 years now, but I am homesick and do not see a long-term future here.

I am thinking of moving to Ireland, rather than back to the UK. I am banking on it being culturally similar enough to make me feel at home again, yet different in the sense that I don't have to revisit old ghosts, it's more sparsely populated and it's a republic.

I know the unemployment rate there is awful, but I am a skilled accountancy professional and I have enough money to survive on for over a year, if (worst case scenario) it took me a long time to find a job.

Has anyone here lived in Eire? If so, how was it? Did you encounter any anti Britishness? How is the healthcare, general way of life? Is it culturally much like the UK, or more different than you'd think at first glance?

Thanks in advance. Ireland has always appealed to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Not sure on the job front for your field.

You will see a slight bit of "anti Britishness" as to be expected, but mainly from minorities in tracksuits wearing Celtic jerseys. No more than what I got when in the UK for being Irish. It is a tiny minority though.

I always found the healthcare adequate for what I needed it for though you do see horror stories like you do in the UK too but overall its a too many chiefs not enough indians setup.

Way of life when in Ireland was similar to the UK when I was there. It was enough of a difference to get away from it all and close enough to not really get homesick and with Ireland being a 30 minute plane ride away that did help too.

Apply for jobs first before you go and get a general feel, let them know you are British and dont require visas etc. Hope you get lucky in your job hunt.

FYI I am Irish born and raised and living in the US nearly 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom