Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
St George is the patron saint of England and The cross, Is one of the earliest examples Of an English flag, Stretching back to the Middle Ages and the Crusades, Where it was used to Distinguish English Knights.

The Union flag, Was created to represent the "Union" between England and Scotland, This new flag was an amalgamtion of England (St George Cross), Scotland (St Andrew Cross) and later Ireland (St Patrick Cross).

There's no real Ettiquette for flying the St George Cross, Over the Union Flag (Other than St George's Day!), Many just use the flag, To differentiate themselves ,As being English, Rather than British.
It's refreshing to be reminded that English people have respect for historical tradition, and are not frightened by ancient religious symbols, like crosses, and references to the names of saints. In the US, these would be met with alarm and legal action, e.g.:

Los Angeles Takes Out the Cross | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

Old 05-01-2008, 09:37 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's refreshing to be reminded that English people have respect for historical tradition, and are not frightened by ancient religious symbols, like crosses, and references to the names of saints. In the US, these would be met with alarm and legal action, e.g.:

Los Angeles Takes Out the Cross | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction
That's all just bizarre!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:52 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
It's a real shame, That people in the US feel threatened by a cross!....Though many immigrants in England, Feel threatened by the St George Cross, As sometimes it's used as a supremacist symbol.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Land of the free, home of the brave.

Last edited by WoodwardGirl; 05-01-2008 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Keeping it PG-14

Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM

123 posts, read 346,759 times
On the subject of who is more outspoken Brits or Americans. Yes ,we are very polite face to face when introduced to new people which may lead you to believe that we do not speak openly. However if you engage us in a deeper or more extended conversation we will definitly let you know how we really feel about pretty much any subject. We do not loudly debate our believes in front of others unless we are members of the British House of Commons where they regularly debate w/venom and shake hands afterwards.
I personally have experienced the sweet way in which some of the southern people say the nastiest things with a smile on their face like butter would not melt in their mouth.
I have also met some of my deerest friends there. It just takes a while to get to know them. Same goes for the Brits I guess.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:57 AM

119 posts, read 551,831 times
I have some more thoughts...

I am an American living in London for almost a year now. I born and raised in Boston, MA. I previously mentioned the "American bashing" on an earlier post along with some thoughts.

I have thought a lot about this post over the past few days. I was at the gym a couple of days ago when a conversation began over how crowded the swimming pool was. (not initiated by me but rather my British mate). He was saying that the gym should have a "queuing (sp?) system" for entry to the pool to reduce overcrowding. Although I was laughing hysterically on the inside (British love their queus...so polite), I politely agreed with him. (polite American) He then said, "Of course you are an American, so you would probally just kick everyone out of the way." I was so shocked and horrified by this comment. He and some others then went on to comment on how much we eat and how we "stab" our food. Goodness gracious... I was appalled. I can honestly say that I have been just about all over the US and have never encountered comments like this in my entire life; nor have I heard any Americans talking about the British in this way. Moreover, if you watch an American war movie, where the Yanks and Brits are fighting side by side, as much bravery goes to the Yanks as it does to the Brits. The British in America are regarded much moe highly than the other way around. I find this so frustrating.

The difference in the issue about the overcrowding of the pool is that, IMHO, the Brisith will just complain unendinly (sp?) about the overcrowding, but never actually do anything about it! (ever polite) An American will no tolerate such nonsence and will complain to management until something is done. (polite, but action oriented). Why do yo think this is? Is it a centuries-old fear of punishment by death for treason, etc? Honestly, I am not trying to be rude, just trying to understand.

Now, for the "American ignorance" issue. We can't afford to visit Europe so the average family can't be as educated from 'real life' point of view!!! Just a thought: Using Expedia as a guide, it is less expensive for an American family of four to fly roughly the same distance, say from Boston to San Fransisco (at $446.00 per person) than for that same family to travel from Boston to London where it is double. In addition, in the USA, that family of four (max four in a room) can all stay in the same hotel room, (max 3 in a room in London so they have to hire two rooms for the family of four) paying in dollars for less than half of what it would cost in London. In addition, an American pays over double to stay in a hotel room here as the dollar is so weak against the pound. Here is my conclusion, Western Europeans can travel to the USA for at least half of what it costs us to travel to Europe. At the same time, Americans never have to leave their country or even continent to get a 'taste' of other cultures are we are a nation so diversified from its people to its climate. However, GB can travel for so much less here to another country, ie London to Paris or Amsterdam, etc so easily!

Also, we have enough of our own issues rather than to gossip about another country. The London Times has much to say about our upcoming election. Ironically, they are also complaining about that... I have gotten more info about my country over here (London) thatn I have living over there (Boston)!!!

Sooooo, there are as many pompous British as there are Americans and on any given day you can run into either in either country showing their worst side.

Now, I am not trying to start a fight. MHO comes from being an ex-pat with some international living experience. I do believe that Americans have more fun in their lives..just my observation... as there is more in the way of sports, more diversified culture and more places to go. We celebrate many more holidays and have many more long weekends. The cost of living is less in the US, and we have many, many more choices for products, education, television, movie theaters. Traffic is terrible over here and there is no parking to be found. As a result, you can get anywhere by the train here, but it takes forever, not to mention when you try to get home only to find that the train has spontaneously shut down and it is 10:00 PM... To travel 11 miles into London central for us, it takes 1 1/4 hours. If we take a cab (for 40 pounds or 80 dollars) we can get there in 45 minutes. When we travel 11 miles from our home into Boston, we drive, pay 15.00 for valet parking and it takes us 15 minutes to get there by our own car.

One last thought... really, from the mouths of babes... my sons mates all think that the British won the Revolutionary war!!! Where does this come from??? We certainly kept our mouths shut Patriot's day!!!

BTW, tried spell check which doesn't work on edit...sorry for misspellings...

Some differences I have experienced as a ex-pat

Last edited by trionetriathlon; 05-02-2008 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: forgot to use spell check

Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Incredibly,there seem to be more anti-American prejudice in London than at home in Paris!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:12 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trionetriathlon View Post
I have some more thoughts...

I am an American living in London for almost a year now. I born and raised in Boston, MA. I previously mentioned the "American bashing" on an earlier post along with some thoughts.

I have thought a lot about this post over the past few days. I was at the gym a couple of days ago when a conversation began over how crowded the swimming pool was. (not initiated by me but rather my British mate). He was saying that the gym should have a "queuing (sp?) system" for entry to the pool to reduce overcrowding. Although I was laughing hysterically on the inside (British love their queus...so polite), I politely agreed with him. (polite American) He then said, "Of course you are an American, so you would probally just kick everyone out of the way." I was so shocked and horrified by this comment. He and some others then went on to comment on how much we eat and how we "stab" our food. Goodness gracious... I was appalled. I can honestly say that I have been just about all over the US and have never encountered comments like this in my entire life; nor have I heard any Americans talking about the British in this way. Moreover, if you watch an American war movie, where the Yanks and Brits are fighting side by side, as much bravery goes to the Yanks as it does to the Brits. The British in America are regarded much moe highly than the other way around. I find this so frustrating.
I can imagine how frustrating that would have been. I think here in the UK there's a sort of out-there exaggerated stereotype of brash Americans, just like you maybe have the comedy stereotype of us all in bowler hats being snooty.

I like to think that people don't really believe it but maybe I'm wrong. Was your companion joking? He was certainly being insensitive regardless.

Quote:
The difference in the issue about the overcrowding of the pool is that, IMHO, the Brisith will just complain unendinly (sp?) about the overcrowding, but never actually do anything about it! (ever polite) An American will no tolerate such nonsence and will complain to management until something is done. (polite, but action oriented). Why do yo think this is? Is it a centuries-old fear of punishment by death for treason, etc? Honestly, I am not trying to be rude, just trying to understand.
That is absolutely true. I posted something a few days ago describing the situation on a train where some kids were playing music really loudly and nobody said anything. I think there's a kind of shared mentality that nobody wants to be the person that everyone stares at, or the person who's being difficult. So if you complain, you're being difficult and causing a fuss and it's just not on. I sent my food back at a restaurant a while ago and my companion was a bit embarrassed. I think the same trait sits behind the perception of the occasional loud tourist. I'm not saying that any other country tolerates bad behaviour because I'm not even talking about bad or rude behaviour - just the tendency to stand out. I do think we just have this need to blend in and not make a fuss.

Does that make sense? It's completely off the top of my head, so I apologise if I'm contradicting myself.

Interesting points you make though. Sorry about the idiot in the pool!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Quote:
"Of course you are an American, so you would probally just kick everyone out of the way." I was so shocked and horrified by this comment. He and some others then went on to comment on how much we eat and how we "stab" our food. Goodness gracious... I was appalled.
My only consolation to offer is that if they meant YOU personally they would not have said those things in front of you. It's hardly a defence, but they were talking of the worst-case steroetypes, which they clearly don't see you as one of.

I can sit and talk to my American friends here while they (and I) complain about British arrogance, our moaning tendencies and ridiculous reserve - but they don't mean ME of course! Or do they.....?

Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Incredibly,there seem to be more anti-American prejudice in London than at home in Paris!
Oh no don't say that when I am planning to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom