Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 12:23 AM

119 posts, read 552,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakRidge View Post
I created this map to put things in perspective.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9008/uspeopletc5.png (broken link)
Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought GB did not want to be considered "European". I have been telling friends and family this back in the US...have I been spreading incorrect info????

Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
You`re missing the whole point. I don`t blame you for it as without looking at your profile I suspect you are young and not brought up in the UK,,,The fact is we take the p*** out of everything and everyone, especially ourselves..
That is true, we do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
So if you can`t stand the heat ,,,,,you know the door you came in???
I think that's a little bit harsh mate, I can see how it could seem rude to people not brought up here - it depends on how familiar you are with nuances and how tone of voice affects how serious you're being.

And to be fair - the lecturer might not be taking the p*ss - he might be a complete States-o-phobe.

Trio.... The whole thing of whether we want to be considered European is a weird one and I think people's opinions differ widely. For example we get lots of silly annoying European Directives that are just an irritation (especially ones about food), and opinions on joining the Euro are very mixed... we probably also feel more of an affinity with America because of the similarities in culture and the fact that we're (for the most part - not everyone) so lazy in languages.

I wouldn't say that I didn't want to be considered European though. We blatantly are - it'd be a bit like Boston saying that they didn't want to be considered American.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,594,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trionetriathlon View Post
Lincolnshire- I truly feel your comment to this poster was a bit patronizing and bigoted. Frankly, I am surprised at you. I thought you had a bit more class than that.
Class??? Whatever gave you that idea? I`m from a school of thought that has always advocated the easiest way to get the pole out of someones backside is to give it a good tug,,,

Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 PM

336 posts, read 697,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I am a Brit, married to an American, living in England. I have had countless conversations with wifey on this subject and we can't quite seem to figure it out... so here I am to ask the quesiton:

Why do Brits 'America Bash' all the time????

Maybe I pick up on it more than I should but I constantly here people bashing America and American's. Everything from accents to intelligence to xenaphobia.. why the hatred???

Please don't use this as an opportunity to join the America bashing!
Love your wife...and American friends and don't give a doodle about
the bashing...I have never understood how people can judge an
entire group of people...no two people are the same so enjoy your
relationships and just understand that everyone has their own
opinions and do not let it affect you....

Old 11-27-2008, 11:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I think many times its like the fernch during WWII when they had been defeated by germany. Yet they still wanted to critise the allies and have more control over the war. They felt powerless because in reality they were only as powerful as the other allies lets them be. That is not a thing that a once powerful country can admit easily.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:05 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I am a Brit, married to an American, living in England. I have had countless conversations with wifey on this subject and we can't quite seem to figure it out... so here I am to ask the quesiton:

Why do Brits 'America Bash' all the time????

Maybe I pick up on it more than I should but I constantly here people bashing America and American's. Everything from accents to intelligence to xenaphobia.. why the hatred???

Please don't use this as an opportunity to join the America bashing!
Brits are jealous.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:54 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think many times its like the fernch during WWII when they had been defeated by germany. Yet they still wanted to critise the allies and have more control over the war. They felt powerless because in reality they were only as powerful as the other allies lets them be. That is not a thing that a once powerful country can admit easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Brits are jealous.
So, I'm resentful at the loss of my power or jealous. Thanks for clearing that up. Of course, I might just have a sense of humour that you don't understand or I might find it hard not to poke fun at people with an over inflated opinion of their own worth.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Do you mean the US or the UK?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:44 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
So, I'm resentful at the loss of my power or jealous. Thanks for clearing that up. Of course, I might just have a sense of humour that you don't understand or I might find it hard not to poke fun at people with an over inflated opinion of their own worth.

Some of the things I read have nothing to do with poking fun it's just down right envy. May be even an inferiority complex.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Let's all play nice, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom