Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 PM

163 posts, read 320,042 times

Advertisements

I read that Mid-west Americans actually pronounce English words most phonetically, so it could be argued they speak it more accurately.

HOW, can u say that.......we invented it..................u dont see the french deciding to have spanish as their native tounge and changing it to suit them, saying they pronounce it beter....have a word!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 PM

434 posts, read 931,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinaYanksbody View Post
How dare you insinuate that undersexed British women took advantage of oversexed Yanks (and visa-versa) thus creating all those babies. Exactly what are you implying? Are you trying to make sense? Or worse, are you trying to somehow more closely associate the two nations in a base and immoral manner? For shame . . .
I recently read a book about WWII and simply quote it exactly from the book.

If you point your damn anger at me, you are so uncool!

Get a life....I mean happy one!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 PM

61 posts, read 118,781 times
Default Yank - Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
No, most Americans in the US do not have a British history. We're talking people here, not the government. Big chunks of the US were colonized by the Spanish and even the French. The majority of white Americans claim a German heritage, not British.
The British idea that Americans are mostly of British origin is annoying (the term "Yank" seems to imply this...being of Spanish origin and from the south west, this is term that makes no sense to me). British people seem to think all Americans are in the north east or the south too. The stereotypes are either redneck southerners or WASPy east coast types.

I read that Mid-west Americans actually pronounce English words most phonetically, so it could be argued they speak it more accurately.

I actually have a great affection for most of the British people I know, I and like a lot of British music & admire other British things. But for all their good sides, I find it amusing when these often obnoxious people criticize others for being the same way. It's kind of the pot calling the kettle black. Take a look in the mirror
Please refer to the following:
Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I apologize up front for the Wiki version.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM

I was being your advocate, young lady. I thought you made an interesting point. Let's not take ourselves too seriously here. We're all just jousting a bit . . .

Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 PM

But the first line is "the origins of of the word is uncertain"??????????

Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 PM

Yes sir.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:34 AM

200 posts, read 1,007,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueeyes01 View Post

HOW, can u say that.......we invented it..................
Yeah but you also invented cricket, football (soccer), rugby.

Doesn't mean you do it best.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:35 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,096,653 times
Man im glad im Scottish

Old 12-20-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaintkilda View Post
Yeah but you also invented cricket, football (soccer), rugby.

Doesn't mean you do it best.

Yeah, Ill give you that one..........

Oh well, it will all be sorted once and for all once the USA is back in control of its rightfull owner...........The English Crown!!!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:29 PM

YouTube - Dumb Americans -- Geography Questionnaire

HA ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom