Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:48 PM

204 posts, read 508,006 times

Advertisements

Hi ian6479,
I didn't know you were a Brit too I've read some of your other posts in the Religion forum.

Well on to the show...I thought the reason why we Brits bashed Americans was because we're all snobs! LOL

Well I left London when I was very young so America is my home. But when I do go back to Europe I do hear a lot of American-bashing but its mostly to do with fashion and such. I never hear bashing on things of a serious nature, but that has just been my experience.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I am a Brit, married to an American, living in England. I have had countless conversations with wifey on this subject and we can't quite seem to figure it out... so here I am to ask the quesiton:

Why do Brits 'America Bash' all the time????

youMaybe I pick up on it more than I should but I constantly here people bashing America and American's. Everything from accents to intelligence to xenaphobia.. why the hatred???

Please don't use this as an opportunity to join the America bashing!
you are an enlightened soul.

perhaps because cringing dogs are often kicked? no disrespect to my fellow americans but for a world leader we do a lot of the apologetic white guy thing dont we? i mean the romans did not do much of that, just flogging and the cross and such.
but they got a lot more respect. i am more concerned as an american that i do the right thing than getting lots of respect from others.
i mean lots of people are angry because we invaded the mideast. but then they blew up new york, what did they think was going to happen? its what i think of myself that counts. still the sticks and stones do make me uncomfortable. but we wont be the first guy (country) that made it to the top and made some enemies on the way.
you dont get applause from the village and get to marry the adoring princess when you slay the dragon, that is hollywood.
as to guns, have known lots of french people (i lived there for years) that would like to have guns, but could not afford them or were prevented by law from owning them.
lots of french people like hunting too. why do folks think americans are the only people that like guns. guns are good. bad guys do not like good guys that have guns. it makes their job much much more difficult.

stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-04-2007, 02:26 PM

148 posts, read 419,180 times
Back in the late 70's I worked for the U.S Naval Activities in Glasgow and most of the staff were American-I loved it, hearing all about the U.S from real people.(which brought me to this site originally last year in people search)
I think the American bashing thing comes from what the populace are fed through the media in crap newspapers,lots of stories are in the vein of "only in America" which you could do with any group, city, country, etc.

In Glasgow within 24 hours of the attempted bombing of Glasgow International airport,the uneducated amongst the population had attacked Muslim people and stores because the rubbish newpapers which only deal in sesationalism were screaming- Muslims,Muslims Muslims were responsible, thereby making the deadheads think that every single Muslim was responsible for the acts of 2 men.

FistFightingHairdresser may or may not know, in Glasgow we love to have a little fun in Edinburgh bashing. (west coast -v- east coast)

Old 09-10-2007, 03:38 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
I'm an American, married to a British man and we live in the North East of England. There is plenty of "American Bashing" going on in this country and EVERYONE here assumes that if you are American you must have voted for Bush. I even had a so-called CHRISTIAN friend tell me to my face, weeks after 9/11, that "America deserved it because we had it coming." Real kind of him, considering my cousin was one of those trapped in the Pentagon when it was hit.

Here's the thing in the UK...people don't smile very often. They are also very obsessed with "privacy" issues. Basically, upon just meeting someone, if you ask anything other than "what's your favorite alcoholic drink" they will consider you to be nosy and pushy.

When I first moved here cashiers in grocery and department stores were freaked out by me because I would smile at them, say hello, and thank you. Most cashiers have a look on their face that makes you think someone just farted.

Many British people are upset that flying their own flag has become a crime and is not allowed. The general comment made over this is..."Americans wouldn't let their government tell them they can't fly the flag!"

Another comment heard in more recent years due to the British Islamists marching in the streets carrying signs that say "Kill the Infidel" and "England, someday we will rule" is this..."Imagine these Islamists trying to pull this crap in the USA? Americans wouldn't tolerate it."

As much as the British may bash us there are still aspects of the American culture and personality that they admire and wish they could emulate.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 AM

10 posts, read 20,383 times
I am British and reading some of this stuff makes me wonder if I am living in a bubble or on a different planet to you more-travelled people.
I would ask that you do not tar everyone with the same brush.
This world has 6 billion people living on it and they all have their individual opinions about each other.
I have never been aware of anything you might term 'yank-bashing' in all of my 64 years of living in UK. This thread makes it seem that this sort of derogatory opinion and comment on those the other side of 'the pond' is a national past-time. That is certainly not my experience. We know several Americans and Canadians here and count them as friendly and hospitable folk, not because of where they come from, but because of who they are as individuals. They do not fit the stereo-type of bragging patriotics - I think such a description is a caricature and unseemly generalisation. If there were any generalisation I might make of the American versus British character as exampled by the folks we know, it would be that they seem more 'out-going' and 'up-front' than us Brits who, in the South seem to have a reserved streak in our natures.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
I have never been aware of anything you might term 'yank-bashing' in all of my 64 years of living in UK. This thread makes it seem that this sort of derogatory opinion and comment on those the other side of 'the pond' is a national past-time.
Check this site out for a week or so and then you might want to reconsider that:

Guardian Unlimited home | Guardian Unlimited

Go to the Talk section and then International. Book burnings are more civil.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM

148 posts, read 419,180 times
Go to Politics and Other Controversies on this site,page 2 the thread is "exclusive video clearly......" posted by James T. This is exactly what happens in this country neither of us need any help in bashing each other, or anyone else for that matter. All these numbnuts that are posted on You Tube do no one any favours.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM

moth, I went but could not find 'international' - but even so, I stand by what I have said. People only become 'news'worthy if they stand out from the ordinary, either through their controversial opinions or untypical behaviour. That's why it is interesting to read. Doesn't mean everyone follows that path - course not. There are grumbles in Britain against other folk, and there is a hardening of attitudes towards some people in our society, but Americans are not seriously in the frame in most peoples concerns here. As cahpsuth put it, there are numbnuts around who shout off a load of rubbish - but I say again, please do not tar us all with the same brush.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:34 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Try this link:

International

Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM

OK, I took a peek at the first few. What is your point? Are you saying these personal comments are representative of the majority view in UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom