Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 PM

591 posts, read 926,172 times

Advertisements

Britain has been **** since the 1940s. Not because of the immigration, i have no qualms with the immigrants who pay taxes, and adhere to the countries and there ways. The country has been ****ed since WW2. Huge debt, which took decades too pay off to then be peed on by Blair and his cronies. This war led to nations in the colony claiming independance and we have lost alot from those countries leaving. From a small island we reigned supreme.

However this great nation, is now a mere **** hole filled with illegals filled to the brim. We are that over populated its incredible. We have 60million on a small island.

Oh and i couldn't be arsed to read your comment. I got down past the first paragraph and gave up. Will give the essay another go tomorrow.

Much love Matt. x

Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 PM

554 posts, read 736,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Britain has been **** since the 1940s. Not because of the immigration, i have no qualms with the immigrants who pay taxes, and adhere to the countries and there ways. The country has been ****ed since WW2. Huge debt, which took decades too pay off to then be peed on by Blair and his cronies.
If you'll forgive me for saying, you seem to be imbued with a massive dosage of pessimism which I find to be factually unfounded. You say that Britain is racked with huge debt, but I put it to you that you've misread the entire situation. There's different ways you can measure a countries national debt, but by far the most useful measure is a countries debt as a proportion of GDP. (This is akin to measuring the proportion of somebodies personal debt as a proportion of their annual income.) The second factor which is important is the interest rate at which the debt is taken on at, because this determines how much it costs to service the national debt.

You seem to regard pre-WW2 as some sort of golden age, and you'll forgive me for comparing our current situation with that era.

In 2011 our public net debt stands at just short of 60% of GDP. In 1939 our public net debt stood at just short of 138% of GDP. Our public net debt is less than half of what is was in 1939. Indeed if you look at the statistics our public finances were in much worse shape then than they are now.

The second factor to consider is how much it costs to service our debt as a proportion of GDP. At the moment we spend 2.86% of GDP in servicing the interest on our national debt. In 1939 we spent 5.95% of GDP in servicing the interest on our debt. I'll quote you the source for this information so you can read it and see for yourself:

Public Spending Chart for United Kingdom 1900-2011 - Central Government Local Authorities

Public Spending Chart for United Kingdom 1692-2011 - Central Government Local Authorities

In both cases scroll down to see the raw data in the table.

I'm not a Labour supporter, I actually dislike Tony Blair a lot. However he did not pee on public spending. Certainly public debt increased under his tenure, but compared to most other countries in the developed world (Namely the USA/Canada and most of Europe) we have significantly less public debt. There are countries with significantly less debt than us, Australia being one of them, but Britain is not the debt saddled monstrosity that you seem to think it is.

Quote:
This war led to nations in the colony claiming independance and we have lost alot from those countries leaving. From a small island we reigned supreme.
Once again you have a bizarre perception of reality. The people of the British Empire wanted self-determination. Indians wanted self-determination even before the so-called "Indian Mutiny" of 1857. The Boers wanted self-determination long before we put their women and children in concentration camps. The Irish, the Americans, the Sudanese et al didn't want to be ruled by Britain. If your sole criterion for measuring the success of Britain as a nation state is how many other nations we subjugate then sure - the country has gone to the dogs. We're a pale shadow of our former selves. However if you have any sense of common human decency then you will realise that the effective end of the British Empire has been a force for good in the world.

Quote:
However this great nation, is now a mere **** hole filled with illegals filled to the brim.
Where do you get this notion that Britain is "filled to the brim"? If you want to live in an area with an extremely low population density then pack your bags and move to Sutherland in the north of Scotland. You'll have hundreds of square miles effectively to yourself. Once again you make a fundamentally flawed assertion. If you think that we're overcrowded why don't you read some history books about how many members of the same family used to sleep in the same bed in the 30's? How many families had to share an outside toilet with each other in the 30's? How about how the inner city slums in our industrial cities teemed with typhoid, cholera and polio during the wonderful 1930's you're so reminiscent about? The population density in our cities has actually decreased significantly since pre-war. There are fewer people living per square mile in our inner cities than was ever the case back then, even despite the population increases. The introduction of new towns, the introduction of housing laws which prohibit overcrowding, the introduction of proper sanitation accross the country has made our existence far more comfortable than in the early 20th century.

Quote:
We are that over populated its incredible. We have 60million on a small island.
In what sense are we any more 'overpopulated' now than in the 1930's? I'm well aware that there are more people in the UK, I want you to tell me where you find this supposed "overcrowding" manifesting itself? e.g. Do you think the trains are more crowded than in the 1930's? Do you think school class sizes are larger? Maybe you think that the queue in Tesco's is longer now than its equivalent in 1939? I honestly can't work out what you're talking about, in all examples I can think of such as the above, things are better now than they have ever been in the past.

Quote:
Oh and i couldn't be arsed to read your comment. I got down past the first paragraph and gave up. Will give the essay another go tomorrow.
You do that.

Much love in return,
Eoin

Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 AM

40 posts, read 69,766 times
well for the most to be back on topic it is quite quiet in the racial department between black and whites here in the UK and i think eoin is right about the what matt said.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,419 times
Unfortunately the only problems here in the UK I seem to read and hear about concern muslims, the majority of whom live peacefully. Tensions were very high here when a young soldier was murdered on a british street by a so-called islamist. Prior to that it was when our brave troops were parading through the streets after coming home from Afghanistan and the muslim clowns were holding up banners calling them baby killers etc. I'm all for freedom of speech and expression and I abhor violence of any form but when that happened even I wanted to be on that street throwing sausages at them !!!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 AM

10 posts, read 20,662 times
Generally better than in many other countries, though I'd hasten to add that ethnic groups still segregate themselves a lot. I know this, having grown up in Leicester with its huge South Asian population.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Britain has been **** since the 1940s. Not because of the immigration, i have no qualms with the immigrants who pay taxes, and adhere to the countries and there ways. The country has been ****ed since WW2. Huge debt, which took decades too pay off to then be peed on by Blair and his cronies. This war led to nations in the colony claiming independance and we have lost alot from those countries leaving. From a small island we reigned supreme.

However this great nation, is now a mere **** hole filled with illegals filled to the brim. We are that over populated its incredible. We have 60million on a small island.

Much love Matt. x
Britain is not overpopulated. The vast majority live in cities, a lot of the country is almost empty, so the fact that Britain is an island does not really mean anything.
Look at the Netherlands, also very dense, but not an issue at all as long as city planning works.

Personally the immigrants were what I liked most about Britain. By and large they were the nicest people, while Brits as such were standoffish, except for a couple from Wales that I got to know, also very nice people.
And most of those visual minority people seem to have jobs. When I went to Tesco's etc., there were always lots of colored people working there. There probably is a "quality of job" and income difference, though, like in the US.

I read somewhere that Leicester will likely be the country's first city with a majority of visual minorities.

By the way, I think no former colonial country is in a moral position to lament immigration.

Last edited by Neuling; 10-10-2013 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 6,814 times
I wouldn't say we get along like one happy family. We tolerate each other and might respect one another in the way they go about their business, but in general we are segregated. I grew up in London, was the only White English guy at school so have a good perspective on this. I found that i was able to be friendly and get on with Asians, Blacks, and Europeans during college times. I admit on the first day i looked around and felt out of place in the classroom because from my experiences i new that Asians would stick together and Blacks etc.

When it came down to it you was always bottom of the priority list. No matter how nice of a friend you was going the extra mile, helping them out with coursework etc it counted for little. they would go back to their own racial communities in a heart beat. This is the same pattern i experienced at school as well which is difficult to take. Many will say this is a isolated incident however i'm now 25 years old and been through this many times before. I think it's not a racist behaviour that people experience it's just the unknown. We just want to relate with people and get along but we have people from all corners of the world who are deep in tradition.

I tried my best and now have moved to my first so called White Area. This was a shock for me, I found myself not knowing how to behave with other White people because i was so use to dealing with immigrants in London. People have been more friendly and i have made friends easier.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_guacamole View Post
I wouldn't say we get along like one happy family. We tolerate each other and might respect one another in the way they go about their business, but in general we are segregated. I grew up in London, was the only White English guy at school so have a good perspective on this. I found that i was able to be friendly and get on with Asians, Blacks, and Europeans during college times. I admit on the first day i looked around and felt out of place in the classroom because from my experiences i new that Asians would stick together and Blacks etc.

When it came down to it you was always bottom of the priority list. No matter how nice of a friend you was going the extra mile, helping them out with coursework etc it counted for little. they would go back to their own racial communities in a heart beat. This is the same pattern i experienced at school as well which is difficult to take. Many will say this is a isolated incident however i'm now 25 years old and been through this many times before. I think it's not a racist behaviour that people experience it's just the unknown. We just want to relate with people and get along but we have people from all corners of the world who are deep in tradition.

I tried my best and now have moved to my first so called White Area. This was a shock for me, I found myself not knowing how to behave with other White people because i was so use to dealing with immigrants in London. People have been more friendly and i have made friends easier.
Yes, I noticed the same thing. For instance in many of those ethnic convenience stores you hardly see anyone of a different ethnicity, especially not white people. I was pretty much the only white person whenever I walked into a south Asian grocery store. But they were very friendly to me, asking me where I was from etc.
However, a black colleague of mine used to shop in that same store before and told me the other day that they had accused him of having stolen something, which I am sure he did not. He said they just don't like black people. After that I stopped buying there as well.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

I read somewhere that Leicester will likely be the country's first city with a majority of visual minorities.

London already is a majority minority - albeit not a visual minority, it includes people from eastern Europe and Ireland.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM

7 posts, read 6,814 times
Yes you get a lot of negative stereotyping from the media. And the lack of integration normally builds up unwanted views of people before you have engaged with them. Normally when you are secluded in one community you will go with the general feeling of that group without experiencing it for yourself. I have found myself in a similar predicament as your friend being in a Asian shop and people looking at me funny and following me around the shop. Normally when i'm in the shops you are right i'm the only white person in the line out of 5-6 people. That doesn't bother me but it obviously creates some kind of attention in their heads.

I'm smartly dressed and look like a decent member of society. But in this part of London they are use to white people = Polish, Bulgarian, Latvia etc. Once i speak and they see I'm British they tend to lay off.

However i can feel that whole be wary of the foreigner feeling. It's kind of ironic because a majority of people working in these shops are not British citizens and the ones who are have only been here for 2-3 generations tops and you would think they be more accepting.

In this part of London is has almost been exclusively Asian for the last 30 years and i can see a rising tension between them and Eastern Europeans. I was commuting to work and had two Asian men with children walk past me and say i'm not sending them to that school i don't want them speaking polish thank you very much! They went quiet as they walked past me... just in fear i might be Polish and continued speaking Gujarati. Because they speak different languages it's easy to code their true feelings.

I try to keep a open mind which has put me in many stupid situations. For example I was jogging in a park in London and a Asian guy called me over saying he was in trouble. I was dumb enough to let him use my phone, he put it in his pocket and ran off. I chased him down and got it back. I have been attacked 5 times in London, never by White people. They have the stereotype that i'm white and must be rich, or they know that i'm the minority in the area and I'm a easy target.

The country has seen a monumental change in immigration in the last 30 years the largest we have ever experienced in this country. Some places are unrecognisable, especially to the older generation. This large influx of people who don't have to integrate will sadly always create problems whether it be the host culture disproving or the new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom