Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 AM

26 posts, read 48,815 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip, will check it out. And as for having money 'cause you're a dentist, those two don't always go together. Basically people who have horses know this, basically that no matter what you do, if you've got horses, you're always broke! It's always about the horse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
My advice ?

Get a job first, then decide where to live. Not the other way around.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but getting a job might not be as esay as you think.
After all, we're in the middle of a global recession.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
My advice ?

Get a job first, then decide where to live. Not the other way around.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but getting a job might not be as esay as you think.
After all, we're in the middle of a global recession.

Not in the middle.. this is merely the start

Old 08-03-2011, 05:55 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Not in the middle.. this is merely the start
Yeah and it's already scary enough. And unless he opens a private practice, he won't be making much money as a dentist. I just paid a mere £17 for a check-up and cleaning!!! Look how shiny my teeth are!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 AM

591 posts, read 925,405 times
Surrey is a fantastic place to live if you have a fair bit of money to spend on housing and the rest. Good rural area, with good schools. York is one of the nicest cities around. stay away from London, it is very busy with tourists and annoying foreigners that don't speak a word of English and you don't want to end up in the wrong place. North Yorkshire is very nice too. Cornwall is also a good little place by the coast. Just have a look around all the areas until you find the best place. England as a whole is terrible and in a mess at the minute, so i'd probably stay in less taxing Europe than over here tbh.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appyhorses View Post
Thanks for the tip, will check it out. And as for having money 'cause you're a dentist, those two don't always go together. Basically people who have horses know this, basically that no matter what you do, if you've got horses, you're always broke! It's always about the horse!
c

I concur!
Vets bills, farrier,food etc etc
I had 2 but had to give them up when my parents retired and I couldn't afford to keep them on a nurses salary, plus couldn't devote the time.

It think Northumberland/Durham/Cleveland or Yorkshire would be a good fit- but stay out of the National Parks areas-more expensive.
Also Lincolnshire where land is cheaper and the commute by train to London isn't bad.

These may help
Equine World UK: About Horses, Riding Horses, Horses For Sale
Horses for sale, Equestrian news - Horse & Hound

Old 08-03-2011, 08:10 AM

You guys are right about the job coming first, of course. Just that I thought I'd start looking into areas that would suit us better, and not get stuck somewhere we really didn't like. I know things aren't going well anywhere right now, it's just that some places are worse than others, and for some (like Greece), it's gonna be a looong time till things get better. Thanks for the suggestions, so far!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appyhorses View Post
You guys are right about the job coming first, of course. Just that I thought I'd start looking into areas that would suit us better, and not get stuck somewhere we really didn't like. I know things aren't going well anywhere right now, it's just that some places are worse than others, and for some (like Greece), it's gonna be a looong time till things get better. Thanks for the suggestions, so far!
It's not a bad idea to give yourself a selection of places. Good Luck.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 PM

Guys, thanks for all your suggestions. Looks like I'm going to end up in the US for now, after all. Was offered a job earlier this evening! At least I learned a little more about the UK, after all that research, now I know where I'd like to go, even if it's just to visit, at some point.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
I wonder what percentage of these enquiries ever end up living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom