Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 AM

20,220 posts, read 19,770,966 times

Advertisements

Is that true? How they defend themselves?

The impression among many here in the US is that things like that are highly frowned upon by the law in your neck of the woods.

To what extent can you go to protect your family, home or business from being destroyed by rioters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:30 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,541,547 times
If you provide a link to the report, we might be able to clarify for you. US media has been known to sensationalize things.

Vigilantism *is* highly frowed upon by the law here.

You can use "reasonable force" to protect yourself, your family, and your property. What "reasonable force" turns out to be is usually decided in court and depends how good your lawyer is.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,293,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If you provide a link to the report, we might be able to clarify for you. US media has been known to sensationalize things.

You can use "reasonable force" to protect yourself, your family, and your property. What "reasonable force" turns out to be is usually decided in court and depends how good your lawyer is.
Why would you need a lawyer if all you did was defend yourself?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:36 PM

109 posts, read 203,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

All Media in every country sensationalizes things and hand picks what to show people about their own country as well as other countries.

I have not seen, nor have I heard anything such as this. And yes, I do beleive that if someone attacks you, that fighting back is self-defense. Most civilized Western nations have such laws.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,800,329 times

‪'We are the Enfield Army': Video of locals chasing rioters in London‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-10-2011, 04:11 PM

14,250 posts, read 17,845,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Why would you need a lawyer if all you did was defend yourself?
Because the extent of force you use in your defence has to be in proportion to the threat of or the level of violence you were confronted with.

So, for example, if you punched someone to the ground in self-defence then that might be okay. But, if you followed that up by giving the individual a good kicking while they were on the ground that might be deemed a level of force that was out of proportion to the threat.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:13 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,349,915 times
Enflield army and the English Denfence League were all out "protecting" the streets. There was video's of them on Sky news. Some of the dudes on sky from the Enflield Army as they were shouting looked as high as a kite to me. Would have to question the motives of some of the EDL too.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,800,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Enflield army and the English Denfence League were all out "protecting" the streets. There was video's of them on Sky news. Some of the dudes on sky from the Enflield Army as they were shouting looked as high as a kite to me. Would have to question the motives of some of the EDL too.
Yeah I was thinking the same, they will more than likely put a spin on it for their parties gain

Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM

14,250 posts, read 17,845,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Probably just looking for a fight.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,844,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Probably just looking for a fight.
Yea, well guess what, if thugs go to rioting and burning houses over here where I live I'll be looking for a fight myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom