Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:35 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times

Advertisements

From 'the economist' today:

The right’s knee-jerk response—that this is criminality, pure and simple, and that to seek a deeper explanation is to excuse the culprits—is also wrong. There is clearly a cadre of young people in Britain who feel they have little or no stake in the country’s future or their own. The barriers that prevent most youngsters from running amok—an inherent sense of right and wrong; concern for their job and education prospects; shame—seem not to exist in the minds of the rioters. Britain needs to try to understand why that is so.

Riots in Britain: Anarchy in the UK | The Economist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
From 'the economist' today:

The right’s knee-jerk response—that this is criminality, pure and simple, and that to seek a deeper explanation is to excuse the culprits—is also wrong. There is clearly a cadre of young people in Britain who feel they have little or no stake in the country’s future or their own. The barriers that prevent most youngsters from running amok—an inherent sense of right and wrong; concern for their job and education prospects; shame—seem not to exist in the minds of the rioters. Britain needs to try to understand why that is so.

Riots in Britain: Anarchy in the UK | The Economist
You get some good articles in there. I particularly agree with this below as a cause:

"Perhaps it has something to do with the changing nature of the economy and consequent shortage of low-skilled jobs, or the long crumbling of family structures and discipline."

Automation and outsourcing among other things are making less-educated young men in particular redundant - but they have to live on something, and turning the sort of people who would have been fulfilled and given a sense of discipline and self-worth by working in steelworks and mines etc in a previous era into can-I-help-you-Sir supermarket or call centre customer service drones is just not going to happen easily, and I can only see this becoming a bigger problem.

Also "Near-American levels of inequality may have combined with laxer European attitudes to criminal justice to create an incendiary mix of rage and boldness."

Rising inequality never helped anything. How to change that without killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 AM

690 posts, read 1,201,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Nobody is giving these rioters a 'pass' - what they are doing is unacceptable, and yes, they should be punished. I think what some are trying to say is that doing this is only dealing with the surface of the problem - its like dealing with football hooligans at one game.. that's all well and good (and necessary) but its part of a bigger underlying problem.

Some reactions on this thread remind me of our reaction to 9/11 i.e lots of our population wanted to react with a 'hit em back', 'blow em up' mentality - and look at where that has gotten us! GITMO (as an example of just locking people up) has achieved little and has done more harm than good.

Violence is completely unacceptable and these rioters should be punished as such, but lets look a bit deeper into what is driving this level of anger at the same time.

On a side note: its interesting to see reactions to obvious harmful acts whilst corporate welfare etc goes unnoticed
I dont think its gone unnoticed, its just unfortunately the veil of incorporation means so long as its done in the businesses name, bankers can extract millions/billions from companies that are otherwise hugely in debt.

Besides, it was the bailout that cost us trillions. Iceland didnt bailout and are doing better than any of the countries who did. Inflation spiked and then fell and they have since been able to reduce interest rates while we are forced to contemplate increasing ours.

Government is what cost us trillions. Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling, and all the Labours, tories and Libdems who voted for their bailout should be the ones behind bars.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
Could we maybe move on from the bankers and their bonuses and concentrate on what the thread's actually about, before one of the mods gets as bored of hearing about it as I am.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM

95 posts, read 315,599 times
And here I was thinking that only the US when compared to England, was the only place that shoots and kills Black people for no reason. It looks like England and the US are more similar than I thought.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
I think we have a solid plan here.

1. Jail all the evil buisnessmen and conservative politicians.

2. Explain to the poor misguided youth that it's naughty to loot and torch your neighborhood.

3. Hold hands, sing songs and live happily ever after!

Brilliant! No reason this shouldn't work!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Mod Note:

The thread title asks what can be done to reduce the risk of future riots.

In 66 posts thus far, there has been precious little, if any, material which actually addresses that topic.

Either deal with the thread topic or we'll pop a lock on this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom