U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 AM

587 posts, read 1,232,405 times

Advertisements

How else do you explain why you never find Brits coming here to ask about where to move, what it's like, what schools are like, what area's to avoid, if it's a black friendly area (they're big on that one), child friendly, etc

If you read, thr various state and city boards, that is all you see.

Is it because it is so much smaller than America?

Last edited by Crystal is a mess; 08-25-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 AM

5,599 posts, read 7,817,185 times
Less diverse country with fewer differences between regions, people don't move around so much, things like race not generally that relevant to anything unless you let it be, laws/school curricula the same everywhere etc. When I read some of the American questions like "Baltimore vs Philly which high schools are more gay friendly?" or "I'm atheist can I still make friends in Alabama?" and replace those cities with British ones it just sounds so absurd it's pretty funny

Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM

4,663 posts, read 7,125,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Less diverse country with fewer differences between regions, people don't move around so much, things like race not generally that relevant to anything unless you let it be, laws/school curricula the same everywhere etc. When I read some of the American questions like "Baltimore vs Philly which high schools are more gay friendly?" or "I'm atheist can I still make friends in Alabama?" and replace those cities with British ones it just sounds so absurd it's pretty funny

Good explanation. Its nothing to do with common sense.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM

558 posts, read 928,122 times
USA has a lot more extremes that cover larger areas, so you get the big very-Christian areas and areas that are still holding on to race issues. The UK is so much smaller that people of all types have mixed a LOT more and been exposed to a much greater variety of lifestyles, particularly through the popularity of evening soap operas that feature every walk of life. That's not to say that there aren't sometimes issues of a similar nature, but they aren't on the same scale.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 PM

746 posts, read 1,452,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
How else do you explain why you never find Brits coming here to ask about where to move, what it's like, what schools are like, what area's to avoid, if it's a black friendly area (they're big on that one), child friendly, etc

People that have never been across the U.S. don't understand how big it really is, and how diverse it really is.
You can have extremes in race, attitudes, tolerance, income(!), employment/economy etc. Everything from ultra-liberal hippie places, to places where a black wouldn't go at night, to places where a white person wouldn't be caught dead in - during the day.
Places where there are disgustingly wealthy multi-millionaires, to places where the average income is just $5,000/year.

It's the 3rd or 4th largest landmass in the world, and 307 million is a lot different than 61 million.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 PM

587 posts, read 1,232,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
People that have never been across the U.S. don't understand how big it really is, and how diverse it really is.
You can have extremes in race, attitudes, tolerance, income(!), employment/economy etc. Everything from ultra-liberal hippie places, to places where a black wouldn't go at night, to places where a white person wouldn't be caught dead in - during the day.
Places where there are disgustingly wealthy multi-millionaires, to places where the average income is just $5,000/year.

It's the 3rd or 4th largest landmass in the world, and 307 million is a lot different than 61 million.
It may be hard to believe I started this thread as I have lived in the US. In fact I spent almost 18 years from 1986 to 2004 and have been back since. My years were mainly in Southern California, but also lived in Texas (Austin) for 5 years. One year was spent in New Orleans in the 80's. I have also travelled extensively through out America.

While I understand it is a much bigger and diverse than the UK, I still find myself gobsmacked at some of the ridiculous questions some ask.

Besides as a Black person myself, I never felt the need to ask anyone if any particular area was 'black friendly'. F**k 'em, I just moved to the area.

You refer to places, blacks wouldn't go at night? Bull crap. Tell me one part of America I can't go.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM

703 posts, read 956,867 times
Can you link some posts (examples?)

Its an american site, probably not many English users.

I can assure you most brits have very little common sense.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 AM

13 posts, read 17,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Can you link some posts (examples?)

Its an american site, probably not many English users.

I can assure you most brits have very little common sense.
How can you generalize that most Brits have very little common sense? Just a rather stupid unfounded statement, I take it you must know all these Brits with little common sense.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:30 AM

3,429 posts, read 5,755,743 times
The UK is only about the size of Louisiana.. Thats one state. Now add 49 more UK's spread out over 3,000 miles from one end to the other to ur home search. Could you possible know everything about every UK from jobs to schools to work and salary and home prices when each UK has its own economic system and laws vary from UK to Uk (example places like New Hampshire do not have seatbelt laws but every other state does) .. How could u possibly know without asking?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:58 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,738,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post

There are plenty of Brits asking questions about moving to the USA in the Legal Immigration forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or