U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:57 AM

14 posts, read 11,653 times
Great! I'll check it on my laptop.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM

And by the way, eligibility cannot be granted. You either are eligible or you are not, and I am.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,238,909 times
out of interest - have you started the process ?? how long do you expect it to take ?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:43 AM

why do you ask?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagMore View Post
why do you ask?
I have a friend who can go through the same process and is thinking about doing it 'in case' there is a need at a later date..... He looked and it looked like it takes a while to get his birth registered... is that that correct ??

Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 AM

He can call his local Irish Consulate and get better info than I can provide. It will likely depend on his individual circumstances how long each step will take.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
He can call his local Irish Consulate and get better info than I can provide. It will likely depend on his individual circumstances how long each step will take.
Sure, I replied to your post earlier and it just reminded me of the conversation I had with him.... i just wondered from personal experience if you had been given any estimated process times.

And actually the more I think about it because my grandad was Irish I can probably get Irish citizenship..... I have British and am about to apply for Swiss ( through husband) but if I got Irish I would have more passports than hubby I have to look into this further !!! does anyone know if its possible ??

Last edited by swisswife; 09-14-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: thought of something else...

Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Is this another dreamer living out their fantasy on City Data?
Quote:
Eoin, Is it possible to see a street view of the areas you sent links to on Google maps? We have that in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
out of interest - have you started the process ?? how long do you expect it to take ?
Quote:
why do you ask?
Quote:
I have a friend who can go through the same process and is thinking about doing it 'in case' there is a need at a later date..... He looked and it looked like it takes a while to get his birth registered... is that that correct ??
Quote:
Crystal Is a Mess - I suspect you are correct. Either that or the OP doesn't like sharing her info (hence my friend should consult the consulate and we should all give her advice- which she could easily google herself for that matter) and in which case I can't be bothered to offer any more advice either.
I was only interested in a vague personal indicator of time. Cie La Vie.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM

I came here to ask for ideas and suggestions in a perfectly polite, reasonable manner. One person was normal enough to respond in a helpful way. I answered you, SwissWife, with the best answer I can give. The fact that I am not sharing my personal info regarding my citizenship application should not set me up for snarky remarks such as yours, and the fact that I asked any questions at all about moving to the UK should not open me up to remarks such as CrystalIsAMess' (interesting name) and Ian's. No helpful info was given, just nosy questions about whether or not I am even entitled to live there, which, if my entire post was read, should not have even been asked. So, although I am determined not to let any nasty people whom might decide to jump in here bother me, I must say that you are bordering on doing just that. if you don't have anything helpful to share regarding my original post and if you are going to have a hissy fit if I don't tell you all my personal details, then perhaps you should just read something else.
And one more thing...if I wanted to "live out a fantasy", I surely wouldn't be doing it on an internet forum.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Wag more you say you are 'applying' do you know how long the process takes ?? have you started yet ??
I have no idea how long it takes based on ancestry but it looks like at least over a year...

Can you move whilst in the application process ??

I would suggest taking a 'holiday' there first - hire a car and drive to Edinburgh, visiting Oxford, Manchester, York etc on the way and see how you like them. Its almost impossible to recommend someone to live to someone you don't know. I can tell you that Manchester is a lively your city but without a point of comparison to something you can relate to its pretty useless information.
It does not need to be expensive - you can stay in travel inns or B&B's but its is worth the investment IMO
I was perfectly prepared to offer advice as I regularly do on these forums, I am from the UK Manchester and have travelled around a lot so am in a good position. A simple "i'm applying because of my parents birth place and so far its taken a year' was all the information I was asking. Hardly 'personal'....
If you want to ask for others help and don't want to give any advice fine......carry on......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom