U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread
Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 PM
11,791 posts, read 8,880,293 times

Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Comparisons to California are a bit unfair anyway because California is mostly desert, irrigated desert, and mountains ... with the people crowded along the coast in cities that (save San Francisco) were built for the automobile, hence lots of land area in asphalt for roads, highways and parking lots. The UK is mostly habitable, green land. I lived in Japan and the comparison to California was often made (as land area actually was similar), but I'd take Japan (all things being equal) for its mountains, miles and miles of seacoast, many islands, more compact cities with good public transit, and probably more affordable housing.
That is a good point. Looking at places like Australia, Canada and parts of the US, there are many areas that are inhospitable to development. Looks to me like very large chunks of Australia and Canada are inhospitable to large scale settlement, one for brutal cold, and the other for desert. England on the other hand is much more suited for human settlement.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 PM
22,137 posts, read 21,104,928 times
People are missing the question completely.

England IS crowded.

England does not FEEL crowded.

Not even here in Leeds, one of the UK's largest cities, does it feel crowded, except at peak rush hour when the roads are choc-a-block.

Anyway, the OP clearly says 'you live on an island' so he/she is obviously referring to the UK in general, not just England.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 AM
3,060 posts, read 6,707,687 times
I think the OP's question has been answered and the thread keeps heading offtrack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or