Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 05:45 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,868,160 times

Advertisements

A general trend I notice among English people, young and old (having had much exposure to them but never having visited the UK), is that they tend to be a bit 'chattier' than say Americans, Australians etc or others in the Anglosphere. Like they can mouth off about actual TOPICS for hours without missing a beat, whereas Australians don't seem as enamoured over the art of conversation. Or they talk through a situation alot more than others. A group of people here might just 'hang out' without really conversing about topics, just saying random crap, whereas English people seem to often be talkiing about something. A lot of young English people (the, ahem, ones who are more curious/educated) also seem more interested in learning and stuff compared to here. They seem to talk in a more matter of fact way without getting as emotional as say Aussies or Americans or maybe even Scots? I hope what I'm trying to convey comes across clearly. Let me know your opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 12:42 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,497,086 times
Yes, hence the phrase ' He/she can talk for England'

Plus, the English love a good moan..

Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,868,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yes, hence the phrase ' He/she can talk for England'

Plus, the English love a good moan..
Oh yeah, how could I forget about that?

Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,259,708 times
Personally I find they are less chatty to strangers in public than Americans or Canadians. As far as "hanging out without really conversing about topics, just saying random crap", I haven't noticed a significant variation between the nationalities. I can only speak of my impressions of the UK, Canada, and the USA though, as I haven't been to Oz or NZ or any other English speaking country yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom