Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Ah yes .... the Great British Public on holiday. A couple of pints of Stella with your fried breakfast, off to the beach and then head to the pub for lunch. It has been a while since I was at one of the big Spanish resorts but I spent a day last summer at Marmaris (Turkey) and there they were in their full glory. There was a full choice of establishments to frequent from Trotters which, we were assured, was 'cushtie' to the Ibrox Bar which was advertised as being for 'true blues'. You could spot the Celtic supporters a mile away. The 'grey and green' shirt was hung over the sun bed and the skin was the same colour as the ginger hair.

We were on a cruise ship and Marmaris was quite the culture shock for some of the Americans we were with

I know the locals need the business but I can see why they might get fed up after a while.

ps. The British section of the beach was next to the German section. Same type of bars but German football shirts hung on the walls and menus in German. Presumably the Dutch section was further along the beach but we did not make it that far.

Anyway, back on topic ...... I have always found the Greeks to be the rudest.
Greeks, IMO. While waiting to board a ferry to Turkey, Greek customs guy threw stack of passports against wall. Turks were way friendlier.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:18 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Greeks, IMO. While waiting to board a ferry to Turkey, Greek customs guy threw stack of passports against wall. Turks were way friendlier.
That's probably because you were going to Turkey. They're not famed for their love of the Turks. The two countries despise each other with venomous passion.

I've always found the Spanish to be very friendly but there is an irritability and disdain for Britain in most European countries though attitudes vary depending on whether you are travelling with a large group of males or with family. I've noticed the Irish get a far better reception. Which is why I always make sure to pack my Gaelic football shirts and to carry my Irish passport when travelling overseas.

Even in Spain, once I mastered the basics of the language I noticed a derogatory attitude to Britain whether politically, (they see Britain and America as mainly responsible for dragging Spain into their conflict, thus causing the Madrid train bombings). But it runs far deeper than that. They see British men as drunken louts and the women as free and easy airheads who will sleep with anyone after a couple of cocktails and sangrias.

Residents in Valencia also campaigned vigorously for Brits retiring in Spain to be denied the same free healthcare rights as the Spanish, a policy not reciprocated for Spanish residents residing in Britain who are entitled to free healthcare.

But though you have to scratch the surface to reveal Spanish gripes the French have no such qualms when it comes to holding back. Go to any restaurant in Paris or the south of France and you'll find the service as lukewarm as the pretentiously overpriced food and the reception as cold as the ice bucket that has just been tossed dismissively on your table like the plates that were thrown like frisbees without the merest glimmer of delicacy. Minimal eye contact, grunts and prices as inflated as egos are all you can expect from the French. Never again.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:59 AM

190 posts, read 706,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
That's probably because you were going to Turkey. They're not famed for their love of the Turks. The two countries despise each other with venomous passion.

I've always found the Spanish to be very friendly but there is an irritability and disdain for Britain in most European countries though attitudes vary depending on whether you are travelling with a large group of males or with family. I've noticed the Irish get a far better reception. Which is why I always make sure to pack my Gaelic football shirts and to carry my Irish passport when travelling overseas.

Even in Spain, once I mastered the basics of the language I noticed a derogatory attitude to Britain whether politically, (they see Britain and America as mainly responsible for dragging Spain into their conflict, thus causing the Madrid train bombings). But it runs far deeper than that. They see British men as drunken louts and the women as free and easy airheads who will sleep with anyone after a couple of cocktails and sangrias.

Residents in Valencia also campaigned vigorously for Brits retiring in Spain to be denied the same free healthcare rights as the Spanish, a policy not reciprocated for Spanish residents residing in Britain who are entitled to free healthcare.

But though you have to scratch the surface to reveal Spanish gripes the French have no such qualms when it comes to holding back. Go to any restaurant in Paris or the south of France and you'll find the service as lukewarm as the pretentiously overpriced food and the reception as cold as the ice bucket that has just been tossed dismissively on your table like the plates that were thrown like frisbees without the merest glimmer of delicacy. Minimal eye contact, grunts and prices as inflated as egos are all you can expect from the French. Never again.
The bad image of the british in some parts of Spain comes from the behavior that some young people have, but people knows the difference between tourists and tourists, there is nothing wrong with the british pensioner that has free healthcare because he is spending his pension here and paying taxes.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:29 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
My sister lives in Barcelona and I go there a lot but I have never found the Spanish to be unfriendly. Same with the French. I used to live in Geneva and spent a lot of time in France. However, just as London is not the UK and New York is not the USA, Paris is not France and the reception you might get in Paris is not necessarily indicative of how you will be treated elsewhere in France. There is something about very large capital cities which can make the locals appear rude and unfriendly.

I spent a decent amount of time in Greece in the 1990s both on holiday but also for work. I had a Greek client who did not trust Greeks to look at his books. Invariably, I found the Greeks to be arrogant and rude. I agree with the other poster that, in contrast, the Turks have always been very pleasant.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,982 times
As far as people with disabilites, I think Americans would be the most respectful as we were one of the first countries to make accommodations for them, and many European countries are still trying to do that. Plus, how they "view" these people is not the same either, I have discovered.

I think many American tourists are viewed as being loud, rude and obnoxious, for many of them are, but really, a if a tourist fell down here in the states or was handicapped or needed help, he/she would more than likely be helped in most cities and towns. And I say "most" as it is almost impossible to classify ALL Americans as we are so different depending upon our background what part of the country we grew up in!

Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 PM

690 posts, read 1,201,950 times
Wales. Scottish people i find most friendly. Oddly, the welsh all seem a miserable bunch.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:39 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
I'm aware of that. And I'm also aware that relations between the two have been improving since Greece sent help to the Turks after one of their major earthquakes.

However, it does not excuse poor behavior. During the cold war, I doubt you would have had US customs throw passports of passengers on Aeroflot planes bound for Moscow.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I'm aware of that. And I'm also aware that relations between the two have been improving since Greece sent help to the Turks after one of their major earthquakes.

However, it does not excuse poor behavior. During the cold war, I doubt you would have had US customs throw passports of passengers on Aeroflot planes bound for Moscow.

Not sure what the was reprinted for in the quote of mine you responded to. It was placed at the end of my post and in relation to my experiences in France. It had nothing whatsoever to do with my feelings towards Greece or Turkey which are, truth be told, ambivalent.

And where did I state that it excused poor behaviour? That was your presumption I'm afraid, not mine.

And as for during the cold war, Americans weren't exactly that nice to Americans wrongfully accused of being communists so I doubt they were exactly rolling out the red carpet for the Russians during this time. After being harangued, blacklisted and having your apartment ripped apart because you waved some 'Love Not War' banner on a protest march I'm sure a few passports thrown against the wall would come as light relief for all those Americans whose lives were disgracefully tainted by lies and paranoid Government personnel.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 11-06-2011 at 03:15 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,830 times
Default Back on topic please

(Incidentally, the OP has shown no activity since his initial question was posted.)

Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I think there are rude people everywhere, young and old. The most unpleasant experience I had as a disabled person though was Amsterdam where pretty much everyone we encountered was rude, unhelpful and incredibly thoughtless. I had for some reason assumed that Dutch people would be far better with disabled people and laid back but in Amsterdam it was like being greeted by bulldogs with a sore head. And the cyclists seem quite happy to run you down , not caring how slow you might be trying to get how of their way.
Yep, Amsterdam has been well-known for its loudmouthed and often rude-behaving inhabitants for as long as I can remember. I have some Dutch relatives and they say so too.

Anyway, for me, the rudest people I've ever met were people from Russia. I'm sure that in private they're nice people - but when they're out in the open: not so nice .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom