Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 AM

221 posts, read 656,252 times

Advertisements

Because britain likes americans more than frenchies or germans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Julia Gillard

Oops!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:38 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Oops!
No problem, I was just wondering who Julia Hayward was?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
No problem, I was just wondering who Julia Hayward was?
I believe Julia Hayward is the Prime Minister of Freedonia.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:30 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
The UK media either support or condemn whatever sells the most papers for them.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:24 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
The euro federalists live in an irrationnal world.
They envision in the long run to have a President of the European Union elected - an European Union made of federal republics, centralized republics, constitutional kingdoms/principalities, overseas territories at the other side of the Planet, big states, micro states, and having for some a common currency (also used by non European union members like Kosovo, Monaco, Andorra, The Holy See, San Marino!)and some others like Britain having kept their own currency-some extremely wealthy like Luxemburg, South Germany,Netherlands,or the Scandinavians countries, some at third world level like Bulgaria, Romanie, even Greece...complete craziness. And imagine the Queen bowing in deference to the Euro President, the new Emperor...I don't believe it will happen , and it's fortunate in my book.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
The basic argument by the Anti European Press is that UK is a sovereign country, which wants to make its own laws and not be controlled from Brussels - which is a fair point no one would argue with that.

However lets be honest, the UK nuclear weapons are designed by the US, the UK has followed the US in Iraq and Afghanistan in the face of popular opposition, they have airbases all over the UK. I guess that much of the technology jets, navy is developed with US support, their intelligence services are linked who knows evened controlled by the US.

The UK will follow the US in whatever they do in the UN. At least France has their own nuclear weapons, developed weapons and there are no US airbases in France. My point although in theory the UK is on a par with US, and they make all their own decisions, and we are allies - they reality is the UK is a junior partner to the US, and for the most part the UK goverment will follow the lead of the US. Even implement similar laws and legislation.

My point was would they rather not be ruled from brussels where we can vote and work as equal partners with Germans, France, Italians etc together rather being run from Washington where we can't vote in there elections.

The EU is all about - raising the standard of living for everyone, employment laws, minimum wages, health care, a single currency to make europe more competitive, human rights, regional development for poorer members of the union(portugal and ireland), now eastern european countries, developing our own defences without needing external allies.

Its not perfect, it has its faults but its about time the UK stood on our own two feet and not relied on the US. Surely a strong EU with the UK in the centre is the best chance for this.

So to all you Anti EU crowd out there who don't want the EU meddling in the UK affairs - why do we not hear you say likewise about the US? At least we get a vote in European Elections.
well, as an american -- my opinion is that the UK chooses to cooperate closely with the US. The UK can change its mind at any time.. however, the benefits of the US-UK alliance seem to outweigh the costs for both sides. The idea of the UK giving over its sovereignty to the U.S. is crazy, definitely not on the table.

In the case of the EU, you're not talking about an alliance, you're talking about integration. This requires its members to give up some sovereignty. The EU is a reasonable idea in principle, but a complete failure in execution; so I can't blame the UK for steering clear of that train wreck.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
well, as an american -- my opinion is that the UK chooses to cooperate closely with the US. The UK can change its mind at any time.. however, the benefits of the US-UK alliance seem to outweigh the costs for both sides. The idea of the UK giving over its sovereignty to the U.S. is crazy, definitely not on the table.

In the case of the EU, you're not talking about an alliance, you're talking about integration. This requires its members to give up some sovereignty. The EU is a reasonable idea in principle, but a complete failure in execution; so I can't blame the UK for steering clear of that train wreck.

How is a $14tn GDP zone a 'train wreck'? Our ties with the US are not a choice - that's the way it has to be given the size and power of the US economy and its influence over the world.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
How is a $14tn GDP zone a 'train wreck'?
a single currency across multiple economies run by multiple governments presents some policy challenges.

Quote:
Our ties with the US are not a choice - that's the way it has to be given the size and power of the US economy and its influence over the world.
trading and allying with the U.S. is the best choice for the UK, but it is not the only choice. you could always go North Korean.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,638 times
There is more to it than just politics and economics. The UK keeps close ties with it's former colonies and members of the "Commonwealth" because of a common language and culture. Some older Brits still refer to Americans as "colonials"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom