Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:08 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Mainly talking about the UK itself and nations founded by the British like the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. Would you say these are some 'tendencies' of the Anglo-Saxon states/peoples?

1. A strong sense of individualism/personal freedom/personal responsibility?

2. Being relatively private/home-orientated.

3. A Protestant work ethic, a sort of distaste for extravagance (e.g. Romance nations).

4. A strong emphasis on discipline/morals/etiquette and politeness?

4. A tendency to loutish behaviour/drunkeness among some people?

5. Being especially conscious of race and not intermingling with the local populations (with the exception of Australia and NZ to an extent)?

6. Being harshly judicial/legalistic in matters of law and order?
I would say that, yes there are similarities in values which you may in all Anglo-Saxon or English-speaking countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the U.S., etc... only to one extent, but there are many differences too. It is true that there is racial consciousness to an extent, but there has been more interracial mingling in these nations than in many other. Racism is seen as bad, when it happens it is usually in a subtle than in an open manner as they would do in France or Italy or Austria. When I travel to those nations, I feel more at ease than I would be for example in Poland or Venezuela. [/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Anglo-saxons tend to NOT be loud and boisterous. Rather they seem reserved for the most part. U know how Italians and Spanish people tend to talk with their hands and describe things with passion and conviction and sometimes in an over-the-top manner? Anglos are more monotone... more even-tempered, less passonate?
They dont like to "air their dirty laundry" and like to keep up appearances... Things that are garish and gaudy are a turn-off to them for the most part. They prefer more reserved and refined, understated things?

That's prob the best I can do with the description of an anglo-sexon. tho i know these are generalizations and everyone is different.
self control and maintaining a moderate manner is important to the anglo saxon ( some view this as a sign of a cold heart )

opposition to any form of fanaticism is also important , from religous to national expressions of patriotism , this despite the fact they ( the british ) are probably the most patriotic country in europe

Old 01-03-2015, 03:58 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times
Hang on just seen above post, we had the Beatles, Carnaby Street, and the Rolling Stones in 1966, when I was born, we have the London Olympics, London Fashion, even Simon Cowell, are you Mad? These stereotypes go back to 1950!!!!!! I have been to Spain and Italy, to a Café in the mountains and nobody is even speaking , what is this stupid myth? Humans are humans. Brits are more industrialised from the 1800`s due to farming comm dying out, this might have a clue as to where most of the population have lived. Brits are much more fluid. By the way Anglo Saxon DNA makes up poss 18% of the country?? This is an outdated post.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:05 PM

The only Anglo Saxons are poss those from Schleswig-Holstein in N. Germany. Despite my name I am British/Celtic/poss Viking. Current Celtic countries revel in their mystical bawdy deeds to distance themselves from a Germanic heritage. ( It has been proved that even the Celts have Germanic blood, all N. Europeans do). The current ENGLISH population whatever their DNA are loud, gobby , ( go to Newcastle) good at singing, writing, creative and mostly extrovert. You have been seeing too many Miss Marple shows ( from a previous writer|). I would find Edinburgh Scots the most reserved, and tight!

Old 01-08-2015, 01:55 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
1. tendency to care a lot about religions, race and social status

2. tendency to alcoholism

3. to self-segregate and mingle with the ones close to them only, this has created the inbreed anglo stereotype!

4. to vandalize and act like pirates when drunk

5. to care about royalty and celebrities a bit too much

Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Re: ' Current Celtic countries revel in their mystical bawdy deeds to distance themselves from a Germanic heritage. ( It has been proved that even the Celts have Germanic blood, all N. Europeans do).

Maybe even French blood??? Arguably the Normans ( who probably had their 'own' behaviors) really changed England post-1066. Just wondering if 'Anglo-SaxNor' could be a hybrid description say of the UK...;-)...

Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Just wondering if 'Anglo-SaxNor' could be a hybrid description say of the UK...;-)...
You mean Anglo-Norman?

Although, the term specifically references the aristocratic families that ruled England after the Conquest and into the high middle ages, I think the term is an apt descriptor of the cultural legacy those families left on the British Isles and may be responsible for the cultural and linguistic difference we see between the modern South vs. the Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Celtic North and lowlands Scotland.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:42 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
^
Yes that's right. The Normans with William's victory at Hastings in the 11th changed English history and society and institutions irrevocably. They could fight and had great organizational skills and their influence insinuated itself in virtually almost every area of culture namely the arts, religion, architecture and literature. They appeared to be great 'adapters' and 'adopters'

On another note it is ironic that England arguably in the modern age has lost a bit of that religious fervor that the Normans had. But for the Normans it guided much of what they did in their endeavors wherever they were. At Hastings, the battle there was 'Deus aie! ..God help us!

Not sure how the 'Norman' achievement is viewed in England today but it is evident that they did have an great impact on the English. Also, I think that's the last time anybody was successful in invading the country!

Old 01-09-2015, 02:15 PM

All the royals, their henchmen, dukes, lords, anyone who originally crawled over from Normandy up to the 1400`s spoke French, ( sorry, Braveheart, forget that posh accent of both King Edwards, they would have spoken French. The Original English, ( who were mixed with the original Britons/celts) were doing all the menial stuff. For some reason the new Franco/Norman aristocrats were obsessed in calling themselves English from the 1500`s ( despite a strong Tudor ( Welsh) and Stuart ( Scots) connection. The poor old English/British/Celts/some Viking did all the menial jobs. If anyone speaks with a posh accent believe me they are not.. English

Old 01-23-2015, 04:05 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
All the royals, their henchmen, dukes, lords, anyone who originally crawled over from Normandy up to the 1400`s spoke French, ( sorry, Braveheart, forget that posh accent of both King Edwards, they would have spoken French. The Original English, ( who were mixed with the original Britons/celts) were doing all the menial stuff. For some reason the new Franco/Norman aristocrats were obsessed in calling themselves English from the 1500`s ( despite a strong Tudor ( Welsh) and Stuart ( Scots) connection. The poor old English/British/Celts/some Viking did all the menial jobs. If anyone speaks with a posh accent believe me they are not.. English
Are you a BNPer? This is not 1300. There are no Normans or Anglo-Saxons. What's next? Normans as asylum seekers? Normans as proto-EU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom