Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 01:39 AM

130 posts, read 277,772 times

Advertisements

Why is gay marriage not legalised in the United Kingdom, as it is in 6 states in the United States & Washington DC, and, of course many other countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 AM

16,607 posts, read 17,365,725 times
It is, isn't it?

Hang on- just googled- you can enter into civil partnership.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,511,801 times
Same-sex marriages is legalised in a few US states like New York, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire, but in the majority of the United States, you cannot even enter a civil partnership. In 2015, same-sex marriage is set to be legalised all over the United Kingdom - the same cannot and will not be said for the US.

Nations such as France, Germany, Finland, Australia and New Zealand have not yet legalised same-sex marriage, and may never do so..

I'm all for same-sex marriages by the way.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 AM

521 posts, read 1,471,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeach85 View Post
Why is gay marriage not legalised in the United Kingdom, as it is in 6 states in the United States & Washington DC, and, of course many other countries?
Why do you care about the UK? Surely you should use your energy in trying to sort out the other 88% of the USA that has nothing approaching the Civil Partnership arrangements available to same sex couples in the UK.

Perhaps it wasn't your intention, but the way you have phrased the question is rather aggressive and condescending.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 AM

690 posts, read 1,199,400 times
Same as the US i thought?

Civil ceremonies give all the same legal stuff, but arent 'religious'. Some gays want a religious ceremony. Not being a religious person, for the life of me I don't know why they would want that, but whatever, religion does strange things to a person.

Personally, even thought im straight i'd rather have a 'civil ceremony' than a 'wedding'

Im not sure if i can get a civil ceremony, being straight.

Not that i'd want either, marriage legally, financially, in practice really isnt a very good deal for a guy

Old 01-01-2012, 08:12 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,264,234 times
I look at civil partnership couples as married. To the best of my knowledge they have all the same rights, they just use different terminology for the union. Marriages can be performed with or without "religion".

Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Why do you care about the UK? Surely you should use your energy in trying to sort out the other 88% of the USA that has nothing approaching the Civil Partnership arrangements available to same sex couples in the UK.

Perhaps it wasn't your intention, but the way you have phrased the question is rather aggressive and condescending.
With realizing that possibly wasnt my intention, why would you speak in a condescending way to me? I am not sure if you know that 12 states have civil unions, and 6 states along with washington dc have marriage equality. Most of these states are the most populated and surely represent more than 12% than the entire population. With all due respect, these 18 states and Washington DC probably have a larger population than the UK. I always sense a lot of defensiveness and an attitude of Europeans thinking they are better than Americans. You dont realize that the Northeast and the West Coast is as a whole are just as liberal minded, and not religious like Europe. This is a huge country, and i definitely relate, as do most people i know, their personal political views to be more similar to Europe than the South or the middle of the US. I was not trying to be condescending as i was just surprised since i look to Europe as a model for proressiveness.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM

521 posts, read 1,471,281 times
Quote:
With realizing that possibly wasnt my intention, why would you speak in a condescending way to me? I am not sure if you know that 12 states have civil unions, and 6 states along with washington dc have marriage equality. Most of these states are the most populated and surely represent more than 12% than the entire population. With all due respect, these 18 states and Washington DC probably have a larger population than the UK. I always sense a lot of defensiveness and an attitude of Europeans thinking they are better than Americans. You dont realize that the Northeast and the West Coast is as a whole are just as liberal minded, and not religious like Europe. This is a huge country, and i definitely relate, as do most people i know, their personal political views to be more similar to Europe than the South or the middle of the US. I was not trying to be condescending as i was just surprised since i look to Europe as a model for proressiveness.
If you can't see the problem with the way you wrote your original question I give up. Perhaps the issue you keep finding isn't always caused by defensive Europeans.

As to my knowledge of gay marriage in the States I confess to having none and for caring less. If you are interested in the European perspective on gay marriage you should probably try reposting in the 'World' forum.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 AM

Thanks for your honesty.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,974,372 times
Quote:
Agree that the tone of the thread is at least sophomoric (e.g., we have it why don't you). What the OP fails to mention is there is a Federal Defense of Marriage act which defines Federal recognition of marriage in the US as between a man and woman. This was signed into law by Bill Clinton. Basically state gay marriages/civil unions in the US don't have equal rights to (Federal) taxation, immigration, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act

Sample implication: A gay man/womn with a gay marriage to a foreign spouse cannot sponsor him/her for immigration; the partner will be deported. This is not in the case in a country such as Canada where the same sex partner can sponsor their spouse for immigration.

So the US is not progressive by any means. You will never hear an American president declare support for gay marriage. In the UK Prime Minister (Conservative) has expressed support for gay marriage.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...x-couples.html

Gay marriage is only recognized in 10 countries. There are 200+ countries. I would not use the term "MANY" to denote countries that have gay marriage.
These countries allow gay marriage:
Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South 10 Africa, Spain, Sweden

I don't know why a European would care about which US states has marriage/civil union, etc.

Personally I think governments should get out of the marriage business all together and should only recognize civil unions for Federal recognition. If people want a religious ceremony afterwards ("marriage"), they can go to a church afterwards.

Last edited by minibrings; 01-03-2012 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom