Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,865,830 times

Advertisements

from Lock Stock Two Smoking Barrels:

Barry the Baptist: F*****g northern monkeys!
Lenny: I hate these f******g southern fairies
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,870,733 times
Let us not forget that The South begins at Gretna Green and gets softer the further south you go

Thus, Carlisle is only mildly soft. by Manchester you are in chewy toffee softness, by Birmingham its a bit like jelly and then, when you reach London, it is fully fledged blancmange

The worst, of course, is the area around Oxford which has not benefited as much as London from an influx of Northern firmness

Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM

521 posts, read 1,470,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Let us not forget that The South begins at Gretna Green and gets softer the further south you go

Thus, Carlisle is only mildly soft. by Manchester you are in chewy toffee softness, by Birmingham its a bit like jelly and then, when you reach London, it is fully fledged blancmange

The worst, of course, is the area around Oxford which has not benefited as much as London from an influx of Northern firmness
Zut alors! Whatever could you mean Jaggy?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,575,997 times
Quote:

Nah, plenty of Northerners ( And Scots, the ultimate Northerners) down here. The plague has spread Darling ! You can't move for Northerners !

One of Oxford's College "Queen's" was even founded so the precious little Darlings would not feel too lonely among the soft sissies of the South...

You are more likely to hear a Yorkshire or Scottish accent in those hallowed halls nowadays than a cut glass "posh" accent it seems. Oxford has changed a hell of a lot since the days of Bertie Wooster.

I spent a lot of time "up North" in the last 23 years due to Hubby and his Yorkshire roots and both of us find this navel gazing obsession with being a Northerner really bizarre and a little ridiculous.

We have started this game when we start counting the "Yorkshire"/"Liverpool" references in conversations and the "The North is better" allusions( including on local radio/tv programmes).

It goes on and on and on, and on. The posh southerners don't seem to have the stamina or desire to compete in those regionally obsessed discourses. Too soft again see, no staying power those poshos....

Reverse snobbism truly is alive in my experience and just as ugly as the original form.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 AM

410 posts, read 947,503 times
I've got a feeling that the North is more friendly overall, although I do find it funny when norhterners come to the south and talk loudly about how rude everyone here is...

Old 01-14-2012, 12:31 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,492,351 times
The South is really boring.. once you leave London there's nothing interesting to see except endless villages, then you get those hideous towns like Milton Keynes and Slough and Southampton.

Oh, sorry, a bit harsh?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM

157 posts, read 100,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
Southerners drink shandy
Had just taken a drink of coffee when I read that. Not one of my wiser moves.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,315,704 times
I've lived in the north and south, and find that miserable people are miserable no matter where they live. Likewise with friendly people.

I also found that most north/south comparisons are complete BS, and utterly pointless.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,857,609 times
Quote:

You do realise we're talking about northern and southern England, not Scotland .

Old 02-04-2012, 03:07 PM

2,807 posts, read 6,409,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Nah, plenty of Northerners ( And Scots, the ultimate Northerners) down here. The plague has spread Darling ! You can't move for Northerners !

One of Oxford's College "Queen's" was even founded so the precious little Darlings would not feel too lonely among the soft sissies of the South...

You are more likely to hear a Yorkshire or Scottish accent in those hallowed halls nowadays than a cut glass "posh" accent it seems. Oxford has changed a hell of a lot since the days of Bertie Wooster.

I spent a lot of time "up North" in the last 23 years due to Hubby and his Yorkshire roots and both of us find this navel gazing obsession with being a Northerner really bizarre and a little ridiculous.

We have started this game when we start counting the "Yorkshire"/"Liverpool" references in conversations and the "The North is better" allusions( including on local radio/tv programmes).

It goes on and on and on, and on. The posh southerners don't seem to have the stamina or desire to compete in those regionally obsessed discourses. Too soft again see, no staying power those poshos....

Reverse snobbism truly is alive in my experience and just as ugly as the original form.
I feel your pain. I get that all the time, what being posh and somehow aristocratic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom