U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM

3,602 posts, read 4,111,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
In 2007, the UK's average wage was in the top 5 in the EU, according to the EU themselves (could have changed, but I doubt it's changed much since), so I guess it vastly depends on what type of job area people are looking for, especially when you consider that emigrants from first world nations including Australia and the US have risen, the US rising the most, over 200,000 Americans now living here.. that's up from around 150,000 in 2001.. so It's hardly a sign of the UK's economy declining rapidly when by 2015 our forecast growth is 3%, and next year, 2%, on par with Germany, the US, Canada, and higher then France, the Netherlands etc..

As for infrastructure investment, that is ALREADY happening with many infrastructure projects in the UK going forward, as a resident of a city that will benefit of said infrastructure investment, I'm okay with what's happening. You see, I LIVE in the UK and I keep up to date with news, the economy (the Telegraph's rolling blogs are ace) and other things.. you seem great and over-exaggerating the UK's problems while overlooking its positives and overlooking other countries negatives. You don't even live here anymore, why do you care so much? I LIVE here and I do not appreciate you slating the UK all the time.

Wow, you really are informed!! Top 5 in the EU five years ago!! That's amazing! I guess reading blogs in one of the most Tory friendly papers in the UK must have sold you the numbers and fantasy projections you've posted above!! It's not a secret that the UK is flirting with another recession. Last quarter saw a retraction in output, this quarter is barely on track for the smallest level of growth. It's all very dependent on the EU right now and US consumption.

I can't believe you posted that 50,000 Americans have moved to the UK since 2001. Wow, that's mind blowing!!!! All of 5000 per year!!!! Hold the front page! How many Brits have left during that time? It's what 400,000 per year?? The economy is in the tank.. Only a buffoon could think otherwise. Your projections of UK growth being equal to US growth are pure fantasy dreamed up by the most optimistic of conservative bloggers.

Where is this infrastructure investment you speak of? I'm not talking about building a shopping mall or paving a high street!

You don't like my comments, don't read them. Simple.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,314,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buahh View Post

I like the way British build their detached and semi-detaches houses and the kind of sprawl you have. Here in Spain, cities are still built following a Medieval pattern, just like if cities were still walled. There's a lot of space here, but it's a little bit like Japan, too many mountains.

Surface almost doubles that of the UK, but the best areas are too crowded and wasted. Coasts were wasted and turned into a concrete belt by corrupt politicians and developers. The UK has always respected nature, green belts, not here.

We have regions like Castile and Leon, the size of England, with 2.5 million inhabitants...and most people live crowded in cities and towns!!!
I agree that we utilise space quite well. The green belts have protected miles and miles of countryside that would be easy prey for greedy developers to build a few thousand Barratt homes on.

As for Spain, I sincerely apologise for my fellow countrymen who have contributed to the overdevelopment of the Mediterranean coast. I think I mentioned to you in another thread that I am more eager to explore northern Spain someday, which looks far more unspoilt.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:29 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,059,404 times
I've tried to give this thread some leeway as the "UK getting full" has many facets to it, but when the discussion turns into a discussion of American highways.... Please make some semblance of an effort to stick to the OP. I have moved the motorways threadjack to its own thread.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 AM

24,693 posts, read 18,024,668 times
120 million? Now that's scary. Although Bangladesh and the island of Java already have that many of are half the size of the UK.

One point, I'm not sure if someone mentioned (I haven't read through the thread).

England occupies roughly HALF the area of the UK, yet has 50 of those 60 million, over 80% of the population in HALF the area. There's something to think about.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,358,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
120 million? Now that's scary. Although Bangladesh and the island of Java already have that many of are half the size of the UK.

One point, I'm not sure if someone mentioned (I haven't read through the thread).

England occupies roughly HALF the area of the UK, yet has 50 of those 60 million, over 80% of the population in HALF the area. There's something to think about.
But even when you look at England, much of the 50 million are concentrated in a few urban areas and especially in the south east corner. Much of northern England is pretty empty. Try driving up the M6. Once you get north of Lancaster there really is not very much there.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,210,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

No, it's not scary. Have you even been to the U.K. ? As others have noted, many parts do look rural. This has probably something to do with the fact that almost 20% of the population live in or around London. There is certainly more room for people. I don't know why immigration always seems to come up when talking about this. I'm sure some have brought up some valid complaints such as housing, but huh? , that's certainly more a problem with the planning than anything else. If the U.K. would correctly anticipate things, and plan accordingly, this wouldn't be an issue. Although I'm not sure if it is, because everybody knows housing in big cities is not cheap. It's never been cheap. And most people have have mentioned London, which, of course, IS a big city. Like I said, I do realize that because of its size, you'll reach a point sooner or later where the U.K. is basically full, so to speak, but that's not gonna happen any time soon. I did not even think London was that crowded. I did see enough parks, sparsely populated streets etc. And the U.K. is different anyway. Here, in the U.S., you have plenty of residential neighborhoods in the core of the city. So, yes, that's a problem if you don't have enough space because the population density is low and things are very spread out ( like in Houston ). Houston ( proper ) has 2.1 million people and 1,5000 km^2. London is almost the exact same size - 1,570 km^2, but there are 7,8 million people living in London. That's a huge difference. That's the advantage of London. They utilize they available space much better. Although this applies to all European cities.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:55 PM

10,351 posts, read 6,219,404 times
Glucorious, you may want to see us all living here cheek by jowl, but I can assure you that the majority here do not.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,210,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Glucorious, you may want to see us all living here cheek by jowl, but I can assure you that the majority here do not.
But you should realize that a shrinking population and/or low birthrates are going to cripple the country in the long term. So much opposition because people think London is "crowded" when it's not really "crowded".

Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,581,096 times
London is not crowded? That is deluded, the whole south east of England is unbelievably crowded.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 AM

18,497 posts, read 8,630,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
But you should realize that a shrinking population and/or low birthrates are going to cripple the country in the long term. So much opposition because people think London is "crowded" when it's not really "crowded".
How so? When an economy depends on consumer debt (credit cards, auto loans, overpriced mortgages) to grow, that's when you realize that the economy is in a bubble that's waiting to pop. Less immigration is better for the West, as it will reduce the population naturally, and the unemployment rate is lowered and people's incomes are raised. Having to depend on increased immigration from developing nations is like having to depend on consumer debt to drive consumption more and more before the bubble pops and the economy starts its downward slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
London is not crowded? That is deluded, the whole south east of England is unbelievably crowded.
You can see that in the fact that a decent sized house in good condition in the southeast is 300,000 minimum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom