Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
London, New York and Kuala Lumpur named as top three property hot spots | Europe | News

They seem to love London.

He's a conservative. Shouldn't he agree with you? But perhaps he knows better, and he knows growth important.

That's a nice article. It's funny how people thin Germany is trying to "dictate" their way, when Merkel's policies are deeply unpopular at home. I'm a liberal, I hate her, and I would not vote for her. But, I'm afraid she's doing the right thing for Europe.
This article is more about Germany's perceived "power". I just think Germany's got lucky. Some weather bad times better than others. I'm not sure if cutting wages ( "Germany forced down unit labour costs")will be good in the long term. You'll end up like China.

The comments at the bottom are priceless, though. Lol.

How is she doing the right thing for Europe? Ensuring Greece's spending is cut to the bone is hardly good for it, or wider Euro policy. I think her role in the European economic crises has been terribly misguided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Well, no doubt the Chinese will get richer and the Europeans and Americans poorer. But id still rather be a German with a job that live in the UK/Spain/Ireland or somewhere else that stakes their entire future on property speculation and has nothing to show for it but unaffordable, substandard real estate. Sure, German exporters have benefitted through the euro being weaker than a DM would otherwise be, but German products generally occupy the upper segment of the market. If anything its the US and UK that see themselves directly competing with the Chinese. Currency debasement is Obama and Camerons only strategy.

I agree with you about property speculation, but it is largely drive by a cultural obsession with owning a home. This has created high demand which had pushed up house prices. An overvalued pound and completely inefficient housing policy has added to the problem.

Cameron and Obama couldn't be farther apart in terms of economic priorities. Whilst Obama is fought by congress over everything and anything, he is pushing investment and spending. Wether he will still be around this time next year remains to be seen. The opposite is true of Cameron.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM

690 posts, read 1,201,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I agree with you about property speculation, but it is largely drive by a cultural obsession with owning a home. This has created high demand which had pushed up house prices. An overvalued pound and completely inefficient housing policy has added to the problem.

Cameron and Obama couldn't be farther apart in terms of economic priorities. Whilst Obama is fought by congress over everything and anything, he is pushing investment and spending. Wether he will still be around this time next year remains to be seen. The opposite is true of Cameron.
Well, your'e utterly wrong about that. Home ownership in the UK has fallen over the last ten years. Home ownership in the US is most common in the Midwest states of the US, which have seen little housing boom compared to the East and West coast states. Price and quantity of credit is the only driver of house prices, regardless of whether they are owner occupied or landlord owned.

As for Cameron/Obama...

Post charts showing the difference in deficit spending, interest rate policy and base money supply to prove it then...

I think you've been had by the TV news media mate. Cameron and Obama are exactly the same thing, exactly the same puppets. The only difference is their empty rhetoric.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Well, your'e utterly wrong about that. Home ownership in the UK has fallen over the last ten years. Home ownership in the US is most common in the Midwest states of the US, which have seen little housing boom compared to the East and West coast states. Price and quantity of credit is the only driver of house prices, regardless of whether they are owner occupied or landlord owned.

As for Cameron/Obama...

Post charts showing the difference in deficit spending, interest rate policy and base money supply to prove it then...

I think you've been had by the TV news media mate. Cameron and Obama are exactly the same thing, exactly the same puppets. The only difference is their empty rhetoric.

It may have fallen, but it is still extremely high compared to other countries:

Home ownership statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

Guess The Country With The Highest Home Ownership Rate - Business Insider

Availability of credit is, of course a driver for ownership. Demand is there first though, then credit. The more the credit the higher the prices.

Deficit spending is a touch over 10% of GDP in the US. Its only 5% and falling in the UK. Both leaders may be politicians confined to the usual game but they are using a different strategy:

2010 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note the increases in education, housing and urban development, agriculture, commerce, environmental protection, infrastructure... some are very notable increases.

Easy-to-browse Spending Review document - HM Treasury

Go to page 10 to see an overview of the UK cuts in spending through the link above.

How can you claim they are 'exactly the same'???

Interest rate policy is low in the UK at .5% and near zero from the Fed in the US. Monetary policy has been covered extensively with two rounds of quantitive easing in the US blah blah blah.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Well, I still don't see how a growing population can be blamed for this. If there's not enough housing, I suppose you should start building some..

Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
It isn't as simple as just building houses, especially with this this government we have who aren't wanting to encourage growth.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 PM

690 posts, read 1,201,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post

How can you claim they are 'exactly the same'???

Because its all empty rhetoric. All these supposed cuts are future predictions, they wont happen. They cant happen, the country is run by unelected lawyers now. Even a simple cut like limiting the solar panel homeowner subsidy couldnt be done because the lawyers stopped it.
Osbourne says he's going to cut this that and the other, then quietly u-turns.
Look at the actual past borrowing charts. Theyre pretty much identical to the US situation. Future predictions are BS.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Because its all empty rhetoric. All these supposed cuts are future predictions, they wont happen. They cant happen, the country is run by unelected lawyers now. Even a simple cut like limiting the solar panel homeowner subsidy couldnt be done because the lawyers stopped it.
Osbourne says he's going to cut this that and the other, then quietly u-turns.
Look at the actual past borrowing charts. Theyre pretty much identical to the US situation. Future predictions are BS.

This year the UK will borrow a little under £100bn (2 years ago it was £180bn). This year the US will run a deficit of $1.3tn. Budgets are passed in the house in both countries. The US hasn't even passed a budget in 3 years!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's actually not that bad I've been here before, not as a tourist, just a visitor and I'm here again. It feels less crowded than Puerto Rico that's for sure. I'm not in London either, just outside of it. London is crazy
I guess I'll take your word for it. The state I live in (Illinois) is about 2/3rds the size of Britain, but the population is only 12 million, with 9 of those 12 million all scrunched up in the northeast corner of the state. And it's still hard to find areas of this state where you can be confident you won't see another living soul all day. Now imagine the population density of the state tripled, and then we'd have an analagous situation to Britain.

That said, there's no physical boundary stopping me from leaving Illinois, I can drive to Wisconsin or Indiana, and keep right on driving to Minnesota or Iowa or Michigan or Kentucky or wherever. Sure there's a giant-ass river between me and the western half of the country, but there's also hundreds of bridges over it. To get off of Britain you have to take a boat or a plane or a train under a channel -- and you're likely to end up some place that's just as densely populated. Eek. I like big-city living but I need my elbow room from time to time.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
That's odd, Drover, you're comparing states that are part of the same country to individual countries.. even if Britain was part of continental Europe I doubt many people would travel to less densely populated countries on a daily of even weekly basis.. very odd comparison indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom