U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,879,729 times

Advertisements

Get out of town! You will never be able to change Scottish dialects, it is to much rooted in our regions, it is called identity it works fine for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,639,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Get out of town! You will never be able to change Scottish dialects, it is to much rooted in our regions, it is called identity it works fine for us.
I think it adds to the charm, but it may be getting out of hand when/if people cannot understand what you are saying on tv and telephones. It impedes commerce, limits children from broadening their education sometimes. It could turn into a BIG problem. Best addressing it early.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:42 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,879,729 times
Or not, and stay the way we are - Scottish, with our language the way it has been for a very, very long time.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:49 PM

2,203 posts, read 4,327,807 times
I don't define either as "more" scottish than the other. Gaelic is primarily spoken in the far north and islands and has no direct relation to English. I can't understand a word, either written or spoken more's the pity.

"Broad Scots" is something harder to define. I can almost always identify which area of Scotland someone is from by the accent and words. Glaswegian is very distinct, most notably by the gluttoral stop and disappearance of most consonants - "b'le' for 'bottle' or "ta'y" for "potatoe". East coast is more rounded with very particular vowel sounds.
Then there's Doric which I would center on Aberdeen/Grampian/Buchan. This uses distinct words unrelated to English - "Cheil" for guy, "quine" for young girl, "loon" for young man, and words recognized in English but utilized differently - "fine" for good. "He's an affa fine cheil" would mean "he's a really good guy. Right will be pronounced "richt", "what" is pronounced "fit" - "how are you?" becomes "Fit like?".
Doric Scots can be incomprehensible to anyone outside of the area and indeed there are unique speech patterns among towns. The only reason I can follow is because my family originally comes from there and I spent the summers there. My relatives all have to switch to "proper English" to be understood and then they still make mistakes.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM

203 posts, read 251,502 times
I read somewhere that Scotland has four official languages:

English
English spoken with a Scottish accent with a differentiated grammar
Saxon, the Court's language until annexation
Gaelic

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM

14,927 posts, read 8,923,013 times
Scots Gaelic is Celtic

Broad Scots is Germanic

Broad Scots is far more common, according to Wiki between 17% and 85% of the Scottish population speak it to some degree.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,119,720 times
Quite a lot of Scots is very Scandinavian, possibly due to Viking influence, or possibly just trading links.

Some similarities between
English......... Doric.............. Norwegian
church......... kirk................. kirke
good............ braw(if in Dundee said as "bra")................ bra
child............. bairn............... barn
poo............... dirt................. dritt
house........... hoose.............. hus (pr hoose)
go................ gang............... gang
mouse.......... moose............. mus (pr moose)
from............ fae................... fra

Old 04-03-2012, 03:03 AM

320 posts, read 433,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
I don't define either as "more" scottish than the other. Gaelic is primarily spoken in the far north and islands and has no direct relation to English. I can't understand a word, either written or spoken more's the pity.
Actually, Anthony, Gaelic is not spoken really at all in the far north of Scotland (Caithness, Orkney Islands, etc).

Its stronghold is the Outer Hebrides islands (or Na h-Eileanan Siar in Gaelic), where it is still spoken as a mother tongue by between 50-75% of the population.

It is also spoken to a lesser extent on the Isle of Skye and some of the other smaller Inner Hebrides, by between 30-60% of the population depending on the locality.

Caithness - in the far north - has next to no native Gaelic speakers, and the remote northwest coast still reports less than 10%.

Check out the map here:
Scottish Gaelic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,228,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Actually, Anthony, Gaelic is not spoken really at all in the far north of Scotland (Caithness, Orkney Islands, etc).

Its stronghold is the Outer Hebrides islands (or Na h-Eileanan Siar in Gaelic), where it is still spoken as a mother tongue by between 50-75% of the population...

Anthony said the far north and islands. Not the far northern islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom