U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 AM

6,516 posts, read 4,125,502 times
Wiki - "Glasgow was frequently referred to as the second city and during much of the 20th century it had a population of over one million, larger than that of Birmingham until the 1951 census. For example, the Official Census population for Glasgow was 0.784 million in April 1911; 1.034 million in April 1921; 1.088 million in April 1931 and 1.090 million in April 1951. However, slum clearances in the 1960s led to displacement of residents from the city centre to new communities located outside the city boundaries. This, together with local government reorganisation, resulted in the official population of Glasgow falling sharply. The Glasgow City Council area currently has a population of 600,000 although the surrounding conurbation of Greater Glasgow has a population of 1,199,629. In contrast, the population of the city of Birmingham has remained steady around the one million mark; its central population fell like Glasgow's, but the city boundaries were extended several times in the early 20th centuary"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 AM

Wiki - "In the late 19th and early 20th centuries Glasgow grew to a population of over one million, and was the fourth-largest city in Europe, after London, Paris and Berlin. In the 1960s, large-scale relocation to new towns and peripheral suburbs, followed by successive boundary changes, have reduced the current population of the City of Glasgow unitary authority area to 580,690, with 1,199,629 people living in the Greater Glasgow urban area. The entire region surrounding the conurbation covers approximately 2.3 million people"

All these people were moved to the suburbs and nearby New Towns their are over a million in and immediately around Glasgow rising to 2.3 in the further surrounding areas.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 AM

13,703 posts, read 7,049,615 times
There are at least 1 million people in Manchester.. I could easily draw up a map.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 AM

2,667 posts, read 2,122,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
There are at least 1 million people in Manchester.. I could easily draw up a map.
Greater Manchester is more like well over 2.6 million. If Manchester's population were measured by US standards, it might even exceed 3 million due to many of the surrounding towns in which people commute from to work in Manchester itself.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM

The big towns outside the two cities distances differ, Rochdale (15 miles from Manchester) Bolton (25 miles) Wigan (18 miles). Cambuslang (4 miles from Glasgow) Coatbridge (5 miles) Barrhead (8 miles) Bishopbriggs (6.50 miles). I am just saying a lot of greater Glasgow seems more like one continuous city/urban area than greater Manchester which reminds me more of a county than a urban area. Just my impression I might be wrong!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM

13,703 posts, read 7,049,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The big towns outside the two cities distances differ, Rochdale (15 miles from Manchester) Bolton (25 miles) Wigan (18 miles). Cambuslang (4 miles from Glasgow) Coatbridge (5 miles) Barrhead (8 miles) Bishopbriggs (6.50 miles). I am just saying a lot of greater Glasgow seems more like one continuous city/urban area than greater Manchester which reminds me more of a county than a urban area. Just my impression I might be wrong!
Yes, you are wrong.

Here is Manchester

Here is Manchester including towns such as Rochdale, Wigan and Bolton which are separate of course.. but they are separate only by a few miles of greenbelt

Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Distance between Wigan united kingdom and Manchester united kingdom

Rochdale isn't a few miles away but anyway fair enough there is 2.6 million in greater Manchester and 2.3 million in greater Glasgow and 2.3 in the West Midlands urban area so not to much in it.

Anyway I would give the edge to Manchester for there business clout especially. Edinburgh is also a strong candidate in business and finance but for the population, business, science, culture contributions, big events etc Manchester would be my choice after a bit of research

Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 AM

2,667 posts, read 2,122,276 times
Manchester almost resembles a major city in the US northeast, namely Greater Manchester. It's much more sprawling than Birmingham or Glasgow and has *almost* swallowed up places like Rochdale and Bolton and is also connected by an extensive motorway network (extensive by UK standards). Also, although not all of Greater Manchester is built up, most of the 2.6 million people live in the urbanised spread.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 AM

697 posts, read 566,336 times
The UK's second city is in my opinion is Edinburgh which has historically been a strong centre of law, finance, education and medicine (and continues to be a leading city in such areas), but then again second city status doesn't officially exist and no city has been awarded such status. In terms of Glasgow it also has a long history and is a great city, but it's not Scotlands first city and therefore would be hard placed to call it's self second city of the UK given that it's not even the first city in Scotland. Liverpool has also been named as a possible second city (second city of empire usually) from time to time, but this was mainly during the period when one of the worlds leading ports and commercial centres. Today Liverpool is not the dominant maritime city it once or theglobal commercial hub, but it is still an important port and notable city.

In terms of England's second city, it's the subject of some controversy, with both Birmingham and Manchester claiming second city status.

Although I certainly wouldn't want to get drawn in to some petty argument over the subject second city status, as it's not even something that officially exists and all the cities mentioned are fantastic cities in their own right.

Last edited by Mulhall; 03-23-2012 at 10:12 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 10:19 AM

Glasgow is seen by a lot of people as Scotlands main city, it is debatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom