Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times

Advertisements

I'm an American/Brit dual citizen but I've lived in the US my whole life...since I was 2. I'm feeling a bit of wanderlust and want to do something different for a change. I figure since I'm a British citizen that it would be fun to live over there for awhile and see places I've only read about. Obviously, I have a lot of questions.

I'm a stay at home mom and my husband makes the income for our family. How difficult would it be for him to get a work visa? He is in educational administration and has his PhD. How long does it take? How much does it cost? Is an attorney a necessity?

Also, can anyone tell me about the Leeds area? I like the idea of Yorkshire (my grandparents were from there and I'm a James Herriot fan! ). How is the job market? What about the weather? I've read that Leeds has the least rain of anywhere in the UK? Does it also have more sunshine? Or is it just cloudy but dry? Are the schools decent? I have four kids, aged 12-4. What about crime? Are their safe and affordable areas?

What about health care? For non-citizens can you buy health insurance like we do here in the States? I suppose I would be able to use the government healthcare, but what about my children? are they automatically citizens? Or would they have to apply for citizenship since they were born in the US?

What about other aspects of cost of living? The only thing I've looked at is rental properties, which seem reasonably priced. Are there other costs that are much more expensive than the US? Car insurance? Food? Utilities? (I pay about $230/month for electric and gas)? Gasoline?

Sorry for the bazillion questions. I appreciate any help or direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
You and your children just need your British passports (in addition to your US passports). Your husband needs to apply for a spouse visa form the British consulate before moving over. This visa gives him the right to work - nothing else is required. You are all then able to use the NHS although you can buy private health insurance in addition if you want. See UK Border Agency | Husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen or settled person
You can do it all yourself but if you feel you need professional assistance best to get a British solicitor rather than an American attorney as the latter is unlikely to know anything about British immigration law.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM

"If they have more than 1 husband or wife, only 1 of their husbands or wives will be allowed to join them here in this category."

LOL! Guess I'll have to leave the other one at home! Is bigamy legal in UK?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
"If they have more than 1 husband or wife, only 1 of their husbands or wives will be allowed to join them here in this category."

LOL! Guess I'll have to leave the other one at home! Is bigamy legal in UK?
No - that's why you have to leave husband #2 in the USA

Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
^^ No, lol - hence that clause in the law

I grew up in Yorkshire so could answer your question about the weather - Leeds is not the driest place in the country, but is drier than the western side of the country. Cloudy, relatively dry (especially the last year or two) and mild with not much hot (or even warm! Be warned!) or particularly cold weather is the norm.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
A question you didn't ask: Do you have any pets, Pegotty? If so it will cost more to get them across the Atlantic than you! See Travelling with pets « Defra

Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
Leeds has lots of rundown areas. I would choose York or Harrogate if possible, or a host of smaller towns nearer the Herriot-style areas..

A lot of employers offer reduced price health plans. Most people use the NHS for everyday things, but it was nice when my wife was able to go private for surgery.

With public spending cuts, your husband may find the educational jobs market is tight. A lot of teachers are staying put at the moment.

Upmystreet is useful for comparing areas, and the map function on Rightmove allows you to see locations of schools, with links to Ofsted inspection reports.

Britain is quite expensive, and it is not unusual for us to pay the same amount of pounds as you do dollars.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
As a lifelong Leeds resident, yes, there is a lot of rundown areas but this applies to every town and city in the United Kingdom.

The job market in Leeds is comparatively good compared to most of the UK, though I guess it depends on what type of job you do. Education is one of the biggest employers in Leeds.

Leeds is one of the driest cities in the United Kingdom, but it's cloudy.

Areas in the north and west of the city are best - places like Roundhay and Alwoodley are quite expensive but places like Horsforth, Adel and Cookridge are quite a bit cheaper . There are plenty of good schools in this area, such as Allerton High School and Guiseley School (secondary), and Adel Primary School and Alwoodley Primary School (primary), as just four examples. Crime in Leeds is above average, as is the case with pretty much any city in the UK, though most crime in Leeds is petty, i.e theft, usually in the central areas where university students live. I've lived here all my life and have never been a victim of crime.

Of course there are areas outside of Leeds such as Guiseley and Yeadon, which have good access to the city but not actually in the city itself, and have a nice small town feel. These are generally commuter towns, so a large proportion of these towns work in Leeds, shop in Leeds etc.

Also visit this link for a person in a similar position as you, some good answers here: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/educatio...s/AllOnOnePage

Old 03-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Guns are illegal for citizens, yes? When you speak of crime, does it usually involve illegal firearms? Or has the gov't been successful in keeping guns out of the general population?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Guns are illegal for citizens, yes? When you speak of crime, does it usually involve illegal firearms? Or has the gov't been successful in keeping guns out of the general population?
Correct. I believe you can still own a gun, but it has to be kept at a gun club. Not sure about shotguns--I think those are stil legally owned as farmers use them. I believe that Northern Ireland does have more lenient laws regarding gun ownership.

The likelihood of you becoming a victim of gun crime in the UK is still pretty remote. Most of the murders involve knife crime. The British do not have the same love of guns as Americans, nor do we think it's a necessity to own one. In saying that, I didn't agree with the handgun ban and at least somewhat support a right to bear arms, as in inside your own home, but I don't agree with being able to carry one in public unless you're a police officer. What you own in your own home shouldn't be anyone's business though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom