U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM

14,927 posts, read 8,913,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I will grant you that the south has slightly better weather than the north. But every weather website I check for areas of West Sussex say it's currently no warmer than 56F (also, btw, 21.9c is more like 71F but that's besides the point). In fact, the Met Office is issuing a yellow warning of severe weather (rain) in the south of England! Unless the weather has drastically changed within a couple hours (which is not impossible for England), your weather station has got it horribly wrong, lol!

Severe weather warnings - Met Office

As for the last summer, it was dubbed the coldest summer in the UK in 18 years - for the whole of the country, not just the north. So the sunny, hot spells were not that long.

UK's coldest summer since 1993 - in pictures | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Here's a weather history of London from last June, July and August (not West Sussex but close):
History : Weather Underground

As you can see, more clouds/rain than sun. Average highs were in the 60s. Sure, there were days that broke 70 or even 80 - but on average, they were in the minority and the days in the 60s or even 50s draws the average down.
You're using the coldest summer for 18 years as an example? That's pretty ridiculous don't you think? Prior to 2007 the summers in the UK were pretty warm, 2006, 2003 and 1995 were all amongst the hottest, with temperatures reaching a scorchio 38C in Kent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 PM

1,651 posts, read 683,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Anyway, Manchester is a cool city, it's the kind of place where you don't let the weather stop you from having a good time.
Yes but its full of Mancs.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,451,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Yes but its full of Mancs.
Good. Mancunians are decent people.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 AM

10,644 posts, read 6,625,152 times
Another thing I like about the UK is how the scenery can change within a relatively short distance. A drive of only a few tens of miles can take you through a range of diversely different scenery.

I think I heard that Britain is one of the most interesting geologically interesting and diverse places in the World, which helps give rise to the variety that we see.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You're using the coldest summer for 18 years as an example? That's pretty ridiculous don't you think? Prior to 2007 the summers in the UK were pretty warm, 2006, 2003 and 1995 were all amongst the hottest, with temperatures reaching a scorchio 38C in Kent.
I was not the one to bring up last summer, someone else did. I was just pointing it was not as warm and sunny as that person remembers.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:56 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,699,066 times
You pointed out that there was a severe weather warning for the south of England, guess what, no severe weather, not even one drop of rain in my area, just a lovely sunny day.
I guess the met office's weather station got it terribly wrong, again.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,451,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I was not the one to bring up last summer, someone else did. I was just pointing it was not as warm and sunny as that person remembers.
A lot of people bash the British climate, but it's probably one of my favourite climates on earth. I love the variety and lack of extreme temperatures. The temperatures where I live now (New England) are bloody bipolar. It went from being in the 40's during the day last week to the mid 60's now and they say it'll hit 90 degrees on Monday, then will drop back down to the upper 50's later in the week...CRAZY!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 4,277,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Another thing I like about the UK is how the scenery can change within a relatively short distance. A drive of only a few tens of miles can take you through a range of diversely different scenery.

I think I heard that Britain is one of the most interesting geologically interesting and diverse places in the World, which helps give rise to the variety that we see.

Geologically diverse??? What do you mean?

It does make a difference if you have a good climate. Vegas is extremely hot and almost unbearable in the summer but that's only 2 months of the year. Since February we've been able to eat breakfast outside and walk outside at night in a t-shirt. You can do a lot more outside when it's like that. The UK climate isn't as bad as many think, but it's not good.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 4,277,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
A lot of people bash the British climate, but it's probably one of my favourite climates on earth. I love the variety and lack of extreme temperatures. The temperatures where I live now (New England) are bloody bipolar. It went from being in the 40's during the day last week to the mid 60's now and they say it'll hit 90 degrees on Monday, then will drop back down to the upper 50's later in the week...CRAZY!
I thought you liked variety? If you do then you're in the right place. The UK is far more consistent... Consistently miserable!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 PM

10,644 posts, read 6,625,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Geologically diverse??? What do you mean?

It does make a difference if you have a good climate. Vegas is extremely hot and almost unbearable in the summer but that's only 2 months of the year. Since February we've been able to eat breakfast outside and walk outside at night in a t-shirt. You can do a lot more outside when it's like that. The UK climate isn't as bad as many think, but it's not good.
It means what it says.

The geology of the UK is far from homogeneous which means that as you travel around you get a changing scenery due to the underlying formations.

It's the opposite of driving around for hours seeing the same scenery due to large areas of similar formations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom