U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 PM

4,860 posts, read 3,073,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Another thing I like about the UK is how the scenery can change within a relatively short distance. A drive of only a few tens of miles can take you through a range of diversely different scenery.

I think I heard that Britain is one of the most interesting geologically interesting and diverse places in the World, which helps give rise to the variety that we see.
not really , new zealand and iceland both have much more diverse topography , landscape and nature and thier no bigger than the uk , iceland is considerabley smaller
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 PM

10,530 posts, read 6,468,013 times
I said one of, and I'm sure you're right about those other places.

I'm not looking to get into a competition about this.

My point is that as you travel around the UK the scenery is frequently changing, and that is something I like about the UK.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM

3,620 posts, read 4,211,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
It means what it says.

The geology of the UK is far from homogeneous which means that as you travel around you get a changing scenery due to the underlying formations.

It's the opposite of driving around for hours seeing the same scenery due to large areas of similar formations.

I disagree. It's pretty much the same all over. It's not that there isn't beauty because there is but it's not diverse. A poster above mentioned New Zealand and Iceland, and having been around both I can say that they are good examples of diversity where the UK is not.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,395,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I thought you liked variety? If you do then you're in the right place. The UK is far more consistent... Consistently miserable!
I like variety, but I'm not so keen on wild fluctuations in temperature. I can handle extreme cold though, but anything above 80 degrees becomes uncomfortable.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I disagree. It's pretty much the same all over. It's not that there isn't beauty because there is but it's not diverse. A poster above mentioned New Zealand and Iceland, and having been around both I can say that they are good examples of diversity where the UK is not.
So East Anglia, Wales, Kent, the Scottish Highlands don't look different? Come on Ian! I've driven all over the UK and it's scenery is very diverse for a relatively small country.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
So East Anglia, Wales, Kent, the Scottish Highlands don't look different? Come on Ian! I've driven all over the UK and it's scenery is very diverse for a relatively small country.

Like I said, it's not that it doesn't have it's beauty or diversity but it's not unique or even plentiful compared to other countries. Iceland and New Zealand which were mentioned are in a whole other league when it comes to geographic diversity. Think of other countries in Europe also.

Truth be told, east anglia, kent, wales and Scotland all pretty much look the same. You could take small parts that are unique but drop someone off in any and they wouldn't tell the difference.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it's not that it doesn't have it's beauty or diversity but it's not unique or even plentiful compared to other countries. Iceland and New Zealand which were mentioned are in a whole other league when it comes to geographic diversity. Think of other countries in Europe also.

Truth be told, east anglia, kent, wales and Scotland all pretty much look the same. You could take small parts that are unique but drop someone off in any and they wouldn't tell the difference.
I think pretty much anyone would know the huge differences between Kent and Scotland, but as they say, pictures tell a thousand words:

Kent Countryside:

Scottish Highlands:

Since we're both Brit/Yanks, the distance between Kent and Scotland is not a lot by US standards. Pretty diverse to me.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I think pretty much anyone would know the huge differences between Kent and Scotland, but as they say, pictures tell a thousand words:

Kent Countryside:

Scottish Highlands:

Since we're both Brit/Yanks, the distance between Kent and Scotland is not a lot by US standards. Pretty diverse to me.

See my comments in bold. The state of Wisconsin is more diverse if you want to talk about distances in the US. Or what about the mountain ranges of Nevada, the Sierras, Lake Tahoe, the Mojave Desert and the beaches of southern California all within the distance of Kent to Scotland.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 PM

6,018 posts, read 4,346,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I was reading a travel blog about an English guy whose work assignment had him traversing the globe on a container ship from the UK round to China then back via the USA to the UK. At one point after being in the Pacific for days with no land in sight, rough seas and nothing but rain and grey skies in winter, his spirits sank pretty low. He then posted this pic (shown below) and said something like "this is where I wish I was right now".

I also could picture myself sitting out on that front patio drinking a beer on a beautiful English summer day having great conversation with friends. The UK has some amazing countryside with a high standard of living and best of all a pub culture we just don't have in the US. When I think of a rural lifestyle in the US, this kind of picture doesn't come to mind. Rural Americans tend to be very religious, non-drinking types. I think a retired life in this kind of village in the UK would be pretty decent.

Anyone over there ever been to this place? I haven't but wish I could pop in there every week. It's called the Half Moon Pub. I'm pretty sure it might be near Chelmsford(Essex).

What is this "thatched" roof?
I mean what is it made of?
Straw?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:21 AM

10,530 posts, read 6,468,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What is this "thatched" roof?
I mean what is it made of?
Straw?
This should help;

Thatching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom