Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times

Advertisements

I was reading a travel blog about an English guy whose work assignment had him traversing the globe on a container ship from the UK round to China then back via the USA to the UK. At one point after being in the Pacific for days with no land in sight, rough seas and nothing but rain and grey skies in winter, his spirits sank pretty low. He then posted this pic (shown below) and said something like "this is where I wish I was right now".

I also could picture myself sitting out on that front patio drinking a beer on a beautiful English summer day having great conversation with friends. The UK has some amazing countryside with a high standard of living and best of all a pub culture we just don't have in the US. When I think of a rural lifestyle in the US, this kind of picture doesn't come to mind. Rural Americans tend to be very religious, non-drinking types. I think a retired life in this kind of village in the UK would be pretty decent.

Anyone over there ever been to this place? I haven't but wish I could pop in there every week. It's called the Half Moon Pub. I'm pretty sure it might be near Chelmsford(Essex).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
The UK does have some beautiful places... the trouble is, it's rarely "a beautiful English summer day" that allows you to sit outside! And be aware that pubs like the one in this photo are not your "usual" pubs - that's a particularly beautiful one - most don't have thatched roofs.

And it's also true the US doesn't have the pub culture the UK does... but that does not mean the US does not have beautiful rural towns too. They're just different.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,279,171 times
That's really pretty - I find the thatched roofs over here so beautiful. This pub is located in Belchamp St Paul ( The Half Moon Inn, Belchamp St Paul, Sudbury - A traditional country pub serving delicious home-cooked food ) - there was one in Chelmsford named the Half Moon as well but it has been demolished and something ugly built in its place.

Another thing over here Tom that is fabulous are the canals and the towpaths beside them - they are one of my favourite places to walk because the paths are scenic and you get to see all the narrow boats.

Canal and Narrowboat Photography Library - Information

Canal and Narrowboat Photography Library - Information

Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times
One of my favourite spots is the Cathedral Close in Salisbury;

Wiltshire Web - Salisbury Gallery

As far as pubs go here's one of of our locals;

The Royal Oak | Best Bars & Pubs in New Forest, Hampshire, England | Cool Places UK

Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
As a matter of fact I went on a bike ride to Essex with a friend of mine on Tuesday and stopped off for a drink at this old village pub here in North Weald (photo taken on a previous visit), but didn't sit outside because of April showers. I've been to Chelmsford recently too and it is a very nice place. Thanks for this thread (and to all the sad bastards on this forum who get enjoyment out of moaning about various aspects of British people and life - don't bother!) as I love the romanticised image of a pastoral English life too. I enjoyed my time abroad but am perfectly content in the knowledge that I couldn't permanently live anywhere else but here. A lot of the picturesque rural villages which almost all have those kind of pubs are being or have been gentrified by retirees or second home owners which push prices beyond the reach of younger locals and spoil them as true living communities, but at least it's in the interest of the people moving in to preserve the rustic charm of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I like the UK-sam_0031.jpg  

Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,279,171 times
There are a number of lovely thatched ones near me as well.
This one is a beauty

The Tollemache Arms:: OS grid SP7780 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!

(Just a reminder on this thread re the ToS and copyright - only post photos you have taken yourself - otherwise please post a link to the photo)

Old 04-12-2012, 02:39 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The UK does have some beautiful places... the trouble is, it's rarely "a beautiful English summer day" that allows you to sit outside! And be aware that pubs like the one in this photo are not your "usual" pubs - that's a particularly beautiful one - most don't have thatched roofs.

And it's also true the US doesn't have the pub culture the UK does... but that does not mean the US does not have beautiful rural towns too. They're just different.
The UK doesn't get the same summer we do, but I don't care if it was 70F and cloudy, I'd still very much enjoy sitting there.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,240 times
The Cotswolds has dozens of pubs just like that too, usually right on the village green or with a large garden to sit in and guzzle scrumpy and eat Ploughman's lunches (boy, does he get pissed ).

Old 04-12-2012, 03:17 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,491 times
It is the same here in Ireland. We have these sort of pubs in our countryside too. Thats a good thing about Ireland and the UK. We have great pubs in our countryside.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7yQHAeD_ni...T-ELLEN_ST.jpg

http://www.dwrobertson-photography.c...barras_pub.jpg

http://www.drunkpeople.org/wp-conten...8/chair_01.png

Pubs are lovely aren't they
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom