Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:28 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times

Advertisements

What I miss in Scotland

The soft and delicious water (in some parts of Spain you cannot drink the water and it´s "hard". Though being close to the Sierra Nevada we can drink the tap water

The familiarity of hearing and speaking English, my native language and I miss hearing it. Where I live there aren´t many ex pats in my village

The humour, always miss the British/Scottish humour and jokes, it is not the same in Spain

TV channels - let´s face it TV in Spain its b*******! We have freesat HD

Surroundings, I still miss my village and county, the traditional cobbled streets, homes, the pubs - Scottish feel

The food, I do miss my HP sauce, sausages, fish and chips, tea, cheddar cheese

Decent driving and parking

Snow at Christmas

The greenery

What I don´t miss

The neds/chavs
The people who drink to get drunk and cause trouble
Anti social behaviour
The weather
The tories
Taxes
High cost of living
Royal family
Nanny state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I've always found the water pressure to be considerably lower here in the US, hence the weaker flushing and not so intense showers. I don't know why this is?
The weaker flush is the 1.2 gallon toilets we ended up with from gummint fiat, although my terlit is of a newer design and flushes with authority. And with being on a septic system I appreciate the low water use. The water pressure is interesting-the wife told me that there is a tank in the attic of the house where we stayed in Botley, her childhood home, that stores a quantity of water much like the water tank in a US city. This gives the house a nice even water pressure.

Jezer, I wasn't worried so much about which plumbing system was "better" as to the different pipe sizes and threads. Plumbing here is enough of a kludge without a totally different system involved and I just didn't have the time to investigate it. I do know it was amazing. Our shower goes from glacier to magma in a quarter turn of the dial. A power shower would solve that and take care of the perpetual dripping tap.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
As an American Anglophile, headed for your beautiful country in a couple of months, I am really enjoying this thread.

CARRY ON!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As an American Anglophile, headed for your beautiful country in a couple of months, I am really enjoying this thread.

CARRY ON!
Great! I hope you enjoy your time in our beautiful country. It's not perfect by any means, but I certainly miss it.

I'm sure you will add to the diversity of our country and will be very welcome. In the meantime, check the UK Yankee forum as it's worth interacting with other American expats living in the UK to give you more of an American perspective.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Great! I hope you enjoy your time in our beautiful country. It's not perfect by any means, but I certainly miss it.

I'm sure you will add to the diversity of our country and will be very welcome. In the meantime, check the UK Yankee forum as it's worth interacting with other American expats living in the UK to give you more of an American perspective.
I'm new here, so sorry for my ignorance, but how do I get to that forum?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm new here, so sorry for my ignorance, but how do I get to that forum?
Here you go:

UK-Yankee Forum - Index

It might be a useful resource for you.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:45 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post

What I don´t miss

Taxes
Royal family
I thought the tax rate in Spain was higher than the UK? Not sure if they have a NI equivalent though so it might balance out lower - I'm certainly not a Spanish tax expert. But I do know they have a Royal Family

Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
Definitely miss a toilet that doesn't block so easily. How could I have missed that. Mine has blocked like 6 times easily in 5 months. Don't think my loo blocked once in the last 30 odd years when I lived in the UK :-)
Really?
We have a septic tank and no problems.
Also - our own private well water which has no chlorine etc. Whole house filter takes out small amount of sediment. Best water I've ever tasted, and free too.
We use UKiVPN via computer attached to TV to watch UK TV. $10 per month.
Just ditched cable TV- have indoor antennae for local channels.

Don't miss virtually all the things you don't miss plus the NHS - I worked for them for 25yrs.

Especially miss

Public footpaths/bridleways
Indian food
My car (Seat Leon TDI)
Shopping in a downtown area.
Vacations to the less touristy areas of Spain and Turkey.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
I thought the tax rate in Spain was higher than the UK? Not sure if they have a NI equivalent though so it might balance out lower - I'm certainly not a Spanish tax expert. But I do know they have a Royal Family
The Impuestos de Valor Anadida (VAT) in Spain is 18% in comparison to 20% in the UK.
Heres a breakdown

Quote:
IVA is charged at 18% on most goods and services in Spain, but not everything gets hit with the full 18%, and the situation is different for property.

Reduced rate ( 8% )

Passenger transport

Toll road

Hotels accomodation

Restaurants

Tickets for cultural performances and entertainment

Sporting events of an amateur nature

Exhibitions and fairs

Animal medicine

Health products and equipment

Flowers, plants, seeds, bulbs and cuttings

Non basic food products and water

Rubbish collection and treatment

Pest control

Wastewater treatment

Super-reduced rate (4%)

Books, newspapers and magazines (Electronic equivalents taxed at full rate).

Scores, maps, sketch pads and other items that may only be used as teaching materials, except electronics.

Human medicine

Basic foodstuffs (bread, milk, cheese, eggs, fruits, vegetables, cereals and potatoes)

My income tax is also 24.75%, in the UK it was 30%.

So yep I do find the cost of living here more comfortable in comparison to back home.

Though I wish we didn´t need to pay for our medicines which are free in Scotland.

P.S I am not a fan of Monarchy, here or the UK.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
Re your well Whatsthenews, do you have it checked now & again for possible mercury & nitrogen pollution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom